Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Vesperia

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Aug 07, 2008

Tales of Vesperia is a Japanese Role-Playing Game and the first entry in the long-running "Tales of" franchise on seventh-generation consoles.

Didn't play the other Tales games. Does it matter?

Avatar image for arcane_workshop
    Arcane_Workshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arcane_Workshop

I'm sure the previous Tales games are great, but I never played them. I'm looking for a good RPG, so will I be lost if I picked this up? Or do these games work like Final Fantasy, where its a new set of characters and world in every sequel?

MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MerlijnVH

I'm pretty sure they all have an independent story within a similar universe, don't worry about it.

Avatar image for arcane_workshop
    Arcane_Workshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arcane_Workshop

Thanks!

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By jlaudio7

Yeah, its kind of like the FF series; every game is set in its own universe and has its own unique story.

Roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Roland

Tales is definately one of the most overlooked RPGs, I highly recommend the entire series. Start off with Vesperia, if you like it I would also track down Symphonia and The Abyss.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Shadow

Symphonia and Abyss are freaking awesome.  In terms of actual story though, it doesn't matter

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PureRok

The best Tales game is Phantasia. Interesting how that was the first Tales game (as far as I know). It's the only Tales game (that I've played) that doesn't have annoying as hell characters. The main character isn't a giant douche, either.

peeontree1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By peeontree1

Everyone that mention Symphonia and Abyss i love you lol. Also, though,  you cant forget Vesperia. And also I want to know how the other Tales fans feel...tales is better than FF. I know I'm going to get spammed but I simply like the stories and the gameplay better. Please respond with a reason. I don;;t want people just going, "You're a loser FF is better!"

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By the8bitNacho
    peeontree1 said:
    "Everyone that mention Symphonia and Abyss i love you lol. Also, though,  you cant forget Vesperia. And also I want to know how the other Tales fans feel...tales is better than FF. I know I'm going to get spammed but I simply like the stories and the gameplay better. Please respond with a reason. I don;;t want people just going, "You're a loser FF is better!""

Final Fantasy and the Tales series aren't comparable.  Where the Tales series has a relatively light-hearted narrative focus, Final Fantasy tends to be significantly more gritty and serious.  The battle systems are also nothing alike.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ
    jlaudio7 said:
    "Yeah, its kind of like the FF series; every game is set in its own universe and has its own unique story."
    Well, technically they are all set in the same universe, but millenia appart. *spoilers* the tree planted at the end of Symphonia is the same tree at the beginning of Phantasia
    peeontree1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By peeontree1

bIf you gad to choose one which is more dramatic...btw only reply if you have beaten one of each game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.