Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of the Abyss

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 15, 2005

Tales of the Abyss is the eighth main game in the Tales of franchise, telling the story of Luke fon Fabre and his quest to save the world from the sinister Oracle Knights.

Has anyone played this on the 3DS?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm looking at possibly picking up a 3DS this month and I was thinking of buying this. Has anyone played this on the handheld, and if so, what are your thoughts?

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By yoshimitz707

I really like it! 3D is pretty bad, though.

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ShadowMountain

Its a port of the ps2 game although it is quite a good port. Having said that though there is a more recent tales game in the form of Tales of Vesperia for the 360. It depends on how much of a big rpg/tales fan you are. I will warn u though the protagonist is a dick for the first half of the game. He does develop quite well however and it is interesting to see his growth throughout the game. Its a very, very long game as well btw.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

I played through the whole game. I really enjoyed it. Like yoshimitz said, the 3D isn't too great. I also thought there was a lot of filler in the game, but that's just me.

If you played previous Tales games and never played the PS2 version of Abyss, then you will like it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

All right. I think I'll pick it up at some point, as I'm not interested in the 3D and don't mind it being awful as it'll be shut off. Thanks, folks!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew
    @ShadowMountain said:

Its a port of the ps2 game although it is quite a good port. Having said that though there is a more recent tales game in the form of Tales of Vesperia for the 360. It depends on how much of a big rpg/tales fan you are. I will warn u though the protagonist is a dick for the first half of the game. He does develop quite well however and it is interesting to see his growth throughout the game. Its a very, very long game as well btw.

It seems he's actually becoming MORE of a dick as the game goes on. I look forward to seeing him stop being such an asshole. Either that or they dump him in the Miasma Ocean.

On the other hand, "Shut up, I'm the ambassador!" is the perfect line to pull out in a 3DS discussion. So I have to give him credit for that one.

Even though the 3D really isn't good, I keep it on just in case the game decides to suddenly throw some awesome 3D effects at me. (Spoiler alert: It never does.)

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Jokers_Wild

@LordAndrew: He'll start to realize what a dick he is after you go to Akzeriuth.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Decided to order this one. Thanks all for the advice.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm having fun with it, but yeah like everyone says the 3D is not great at all, it's pretty blurry, there's a lot of seeing double.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew

@Jokers_Wild said:

@LordAndrew: He'll start to realize what a dick he is after you go to Akzeriuth.

Is that before or after Eldrant? :P It's been some time since I posted that message.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I just got it since amazon had plenty of stock, kinda surprised this game has only had a 10 dollar price drop and it came out nearly 2 years ago for 3ds. Quick question for anyone else who might have this version. Those small cutscenes that tales games are known for where the characters have random conversations, were those voiced in the original ps2 version? I'm assuming if they were, the voice was probably left out of the 3ds version cause of cartridge constraints.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I just got it since amazon had plenty of stock, kinda surprised this game has only had a 10 dollar price drop and it came out nearly 2 years ago for 3ds. Quick question for anyone else who might have this version. Those small cutscenes that tales games are known for where the characters have random conversations, were those voiced in the original ps2 version? I'm assuming if they were, the voice was probably left out of the 3ds version cause of cartridge constraints.

No they weren't. The first time I've ever heard those being voiced was in Tales of Vesperia.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm 3 hours into this game and it's my first Tales game. I'm enjoying the simple gameplay so far and the story has been interesting enough.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's pretty good. If you've played a Tales game before, you've played this game. I never finished it. I got to what I assume is the first big plot twist before quitting. The game didn't really grab me like Vesperia did, but that was my first Tales experience, so maybe that was it? Either way, it's worth a look.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found this game to be incredibly poorly paced story-wise and it kinda made it hard for me to continue playing after the 30 hour or so mark. So I stopped.

As for the 3DS version, from what I've played of it, it just seems to be the PS2 version with a dumb looking font.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was considering looking into this game myself, though I think I might be better off with the 360 Tales game.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mwng

@guesty_01 said:

Was considering looking into this game myself, though I think I might be better off with the 360 Tales game.

Go for Vesperia if you have the option, I found Abyss to be one of the weaker tales games. Though it's still totally worth playing if you enjoy the series.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mwng: Yes I think Vesperia looks the better game. The only thing that was swaying me was the fact that a massive rpg like the Tales games would be ideal on my 3DS where I don't have to find the time to sit down for 40 hours in the front room. I could instead play it on the go, little bite sized pieces here and there, just closing the DS down when I need to turn my attention towar something else.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mwng: Yes I think Vesperia looks the better game. The only thing that was swaying me was the fact that a massive rpg like the Tales games would be ideal on my 3DS where I don't have to find the time to sit down for 40 hours in the front room. I could instead play it on the go, little bite sized pieces here and there, just closing the DS down when I need to turn my attention towar something else.

This is how I've been playing. Portable systems seem perfect for these kinds of games. I can marathon it when I want, or I can do a little grinding during my breaks at work.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShadowMountain

said:

It seems he's actually becoming MORE of a dick as the game goes on. I look forward to seeing him stop being such an asshole. Either that or they dump him in the Miasma Ocean.

He is far better as a dick than he is later in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.