Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

System Shock 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 11, 1999

Developed by Looking Glass Studios and released in 1999, this cyberpunk first-person shooter with RPG elements established new standards for storytelling and gameplay.

Anyone Else Excited About System Shock 2 on GOG?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Just got released this morning, and it's compatible with current operating systems!

Though I've never played it before, Bioshock is one of my all time favorite games, so I have trust that this game will be amazing too!

Also, Ken Levine is awesome

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Very. I'm never played it, so I'm super excited to fire it up tonight. Expectations are tempered a little - lots of games from the 90s don't hold up that well in various ways. I'm prepared for that.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By soldierg654342

I'm very excited to finally have a viable legal outlet to play this game, and that it comes with a few extras is just gravy. I will buy it on every platform it comes out on just to make up for lost time.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've never played it, but when I'm finally caught up on some other games (yeah, right), I'll get around to it. It sounds like it has all sorts of mods and improvements that are compatible with the GOG version, so why the hell not.

The real question is whether I will get around to playing it before or after my copy of Daikatana.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By GreggD

@branthog said:

I've never played it, but when I'm finally caught up on some other games (yeah, right), I'll get around to it. It sounds like it has all sorts of mods and improvements that are compatible with the GOG version, so why the hell not.

The real question is whether I will get around to playing it before or after my copy of Daikatana.

Funny how much of a difference a week can make, eh? One week we get one of the most disappointing PC games ever, one week later we get what some consider the best of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very. It's so refreshing to point someone who's interested in games to what is, IMO, a very important PC game, and not have to point them to a torrent because:

1. The game is out of print and no one's bothered to pick up the digital distribution rights.
    2. The game is out of print and the rights are caught up in a legal clusterfuck of red tape.

Also, I can retire my disc. It can now stay in the spindle with all my other old PC games. Like Freespace 2.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Excited but also a little scared. It's been ages since I've played it and in my memory, it's one of the best games ever. Time and our perception of things change however, so now I am worried that it won't hold up to my recollection. I want to play it again, but I am also afraid that I will be horribly disappointed by my clouded nostalgia.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By super2j

Are there any hi rez mods? I have never played it or the copy of bioshock 1 I own but I think I would be more down with techno shock rather then ocean shock... then again maybe my true entry into the series will be with Sky Shock.

grendelpierat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By grendelpierat

I need to dig out my old CD and find the patch files again, though I may just drop the money to rebuy the game all over again just for the convenience of having a digital copy that will run on modern systems for sure.

Disconnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Disconnect

@super2j said:

Are there any hi rez mods?

It's a more than a decade old revered PC game. So yes. There's plenty of cosmetic mods.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If it comes out to steam, which I think it is, Then I'm definitely getting it.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eidderf

I'm not sure really, I've enjoyed most of the spooking with scoops episodes but the game seemed kind of uninspired and a little dull judging from that. The supposed horror aspects of the game especially seem very underwhelming since I've read quite a few comments in the past about how eerie it could be, granted I wasn't playing it but I couldn't imagine it being freaky even if I put myself in Patrick's position.

That being said I am guessing part of the reason the look and concept of the game isn't so striking now is due to how it must have heavily influenced similar horror/fps games with RPG elements (Dead Space and obviously Bioshock come to mind instantly but there are plenty others I'm sure)

So basically I can appreciate how new and exciting it must have been at the time and how it inspired some of the greats of this and past generations, but I'm not sure it has much appeal to me now. I'm sure it has some nostalgia value to some too which I do not have towards this (not saying people would only enjoy this due to nostalgic memories but hey it helps)

CallMeTetris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah. I've been wanting to play for years now, but have never given quite enough of a shit to look into how to run it on a modern system. I've also somehow managed to avoid a lot of discussion/media about the game, so I'll be lucky enough to go into it pretty blind. Hope it creeps the hell out of me.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grimluck343

I've never played any of the System Shock games and Bioshock isn't really my thing but I'll probably check it out. Might wait for it to show up on Steam though.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm somewhat interested, but it is a game of substantial length and my preference has turned to voice acting for the style system shock 2 is in. So I'll probably buy it on GOG and never play it (like I do with the I don't even want to count number of other titles I've purchased there).

HarkinNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does it come with the multiplayer patch?

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disconnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Disconnect

@grimluck343 said:

I've never played any of the System Shock games and Bioshock isn't really my thing but I'll probably check it out. Might wait for it to show up on Steam though.

It depends on what you disliked about Bioshock. You should check it out either way, but I'd say that the biggest difference (if we disregard the age difference) between System Shock 2 and Bioshock is that SS2 is actually a bit of a challenge. At least the first time, and that sense of you being in a position to make a terrible decision in regards to your character and your resources, adds to the general atmosphere of danger and/or helplessness.

It also nails that survival horror curve of going from 'idiot flailing around in space' to 'somewhat of a badass flailing around in space'. Like for example: in my first playthrough I went for a Psi-character and due to the way I had built that character I was able to be more or less invisible for the last few hours of the game. That was an incredible feeling compared to earlier in the game when I had scrounged for resources and found myself in situations with nothing but broken pistols/dreams and a wrench.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Off to GOG. Cool. Never played.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm waiting for the Steam release.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SS2 is dope as hell and Ken Levine is a cool dude.

I'd suggest consulting a walkthru if you get stuck at any point. The game is definitely worth finishing but maybe not worth stumbling around in the dark for.

It might be worth it to tweak the enemy spawn frequency and weapon degradation values, too.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I am so excited that I just had to move this topic to the System Shock 2 forum.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@disconnect Huh, that sounds a lot more like Dead Space, which I adore. Will definitely have to check it out now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.