Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

The shooting in this game is...bad

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I bought this game when it was semi-new and now, with all the talk about AC: Syndicate I remembered I had some fun with so I bought it again (I had it oin a 360 before, a console I don't have anymore and now bought it on PS3). In the first level I rememberd how aweful the aiming is. There are different sliders for sensivity and accelaration and no matter how I tweak them, it feels unresponsive and swimmy, sub-par, bad. The game cost me something like 5UDS including shipping (and it was new, shrink-wrapped!!) and I will finish it just to see the story, but the fast paced gameplay is really brought down by my inability to aim at anything in a timely fashion. The bullet time is there for a reason, huh? Or did anyone actually liked how it felt??

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I loved it, especially how the shooting felt. However, I was playing on PC with a mouse, so my opinion might me worthless here.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I remember the snap-to aiming being so absurdly aggressive that you could just spam left trigger and right trigger to instantly and spasmodically blaze everything in sight. It felt absolutely filthy, devoid of all human grace. It was dubstep as gameplay. And I loved it.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage said:

I remember the snap-to aiming being so absurdly aggressive that you could just spam left trigger and right trigger to instantly and spasmodically blaze everything in sight. It felt absolutely filthy, devoid of all human grace. It was dubstep as gameplay. And I loved it.

Oh, that's actually a good point - I turn off amy aim assist in all games before I start them, but in this case it sounds like a good way to improve the experience! Thank you.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually only started playing this on Saturday too, and not because of AC: Syndicate but because I'm working my way through old Bombcasts and Jeff was talking about it in a March 2012 episode. I also seem to remember it being his GOTY for 2012 so I've always wanted to play it. I have to say I kind of agree that the shooting feels a bit swimmy. Halfway through the second level I have to say they have some interesting ideas not seen in other shooters so at least its different. Hardly GOTY material though.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinner458: yes, I agree completely. And for Jeff it must be one of those things it just was the right game for him at the time, which happens. I have plenty of games or movies on my mind that I consider underrated by others, but that's ok, it's all opinions.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

If you aren't into it, you aren't going to want to finish it. There's two segments specifically that are hard to defend even as someone who loves the game, and I can't see someone who is making themselves play it having anything other than a miserable experience when they get to them.

One removes your cyberpunk stuff and makes it a standard shooter, but every once in a while your screen gets all fuzzy and it just looks like a mess. It's not a great time.

The other is the last boss, which I only remember involved a lot of miniguns, having to do something several times, bad checkpoints, and little cover.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't remember anything weird about the aiming although I admittedly played it on the 360, so who knows maybe everything is swimmy there and I just didn't know it.

It's probably the best shooter to come out in the last 10 years, but not everything is for everyone obviously. I just loved everything about it, so any minor annoyances were swiftly washed away to the back by the rush of awesome cyber punk, corporate espionage sci fi that I really enjoy.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sdoots said:

If you aren't into it, you aren't going to want to finish it. There's two segments specifically that are hard to defend even as someone who loves the game, and I can't see someone who is making themselves play it having anything other than a miserable experience when they get to them.

One removes your cyberpunk stuff and makes it a standard shooter, but every once in a while your screen gets all fuzzy and it just looks like a mess. It's not a great time.

The other is the last boss, which I only remember involved a lot of miniguns, having to do something several times, bad checkpoints, and little cover.

The final boss fight is almost literally the only thing I can recall from Syndicate, apart from feeling like the multiplayer missions were unplayable unless you had other people in your group, which was a rarity, considering the community for this game was dead on arrival.

I just remember shouting at my television while this boss fight completely eschewed all of the elements you'd learned throughout the game in favor of this dumb, unfairly difficult DPS race.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

@sdoots said:

The final boss fight is almost literally the only thing I can recall from Syndicate, apart from feeling like the multiplayer missions were unplayable unless you had other people in your group, which was a rarity, considering the community for this game was dead on arrival.

I just remember shouting at my television while this boss fight completely eschewed all of the elements you'd learned throughout the game in favor of this dumb, unfairly difficult DPS race.

That sounds about right.

I also think I might have played more of the multiplayer in the prerelease demo than the actual full game, now that you mention the poor population.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OurSin_360

Great game that got a bad rep for whatever reason. I thought the controls and shooting were fine, and the hacking stuff was real cool at the time. The co-op was fun as well but obviously didn't last long since bad press halted sales so nobody was playing.

This and anarchy reigns are two good games I feel got bad rep for no good reason.

P.S. Playing without aim assist in a console shooter sounds like the worst idea of all time, if you want to play like that then why not pc game? I think that's pretty unfair to say the shooting is bad when you don't play as intended.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I remember liking the shooting in the Starbreeze Syndicate game but could literally tell you NOTHING ELSE about it.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TravisRex

All this talk made me buy the game. THANKS. >:|

edit- Played about an hour or so. I can see what people are talking about with the floatiness, I got it on PC, turning down sensitivity fixed it for the most part. I enjoy running up to dudes and executing them, also, the powers so far are pretty dope, and deactivating grenades like midthrow. its a very bad ass feeling.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

The shooting was alright, but nothing else was especially standout.

Jeff has bad taste in games.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what you are talking about, the sensitivity was practically the same as any other modern FPS.

But god this game was awesome, need to pick it up again.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the areas towards the end where you're just constantly popping off your powers every few seconds to kill a bunch of dudes to gain adrenaline to pop more powers.

I also enjoyed the last boss, maybe because I had read people complaining about and knew there would be something weird about it.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P.S. Playing without aim assist in a console shooter sounds like the worst idea of all time, if you want to play like that then why not pc game? I think that's pretty unfair to say the shooting is bad when you don't play as intended.

I think aim assist on/of is a personal preference and I don't like it. I finished CoD4 on veteran, including the Mile High Club. It's actually easier playing without aim assist because I know exactly what will happen when I pull the left trigger (as opposed to giving up control at that point) but as this game demonstrates it only applies when the actual aiming is solid. Most of the modern games have forced aimed assist on consoles anyway, which is a bummer. And the call Call of Duty snap to target system is illogical to me, it leans way too close to game playing itself for my taste.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

YES, thank you! I am tired of reading people's hyperbole about this game. I will fully admit the hacking was cool...but that was it! The characters, the story, the shooting, the level design was all budget shooter bland. People, including Jeff, are so hyperbolic about this game that they are nearly the same type of people they rail against online.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: You can hack people and their brains blow up.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff is going to stab the lot of you

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The shooting in Singularity on the other hand is AMAZING.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.