Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Survival Horror

Concept »

Popularized by franchises such as Resident Evil and Silent Hill, these games typically involve a strong implication of danger, vulnerable protagonists, and disturbing monsters.

Survival horror and you...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Edited By BeachThunder

Poll Survival horror and you... (45 votes)

I DO enjoy playing horror games; I DO enjoy watching others play them. 64%
    I DO enjoy playing horror games; I do NOT enjoy watching others play them. 22%
    I do NOT enjoy playing horror games; I DO enjoy watching others play them. 9%
    I do NOT enjoy playing horror games; I do NOT enjoy watching others play them. 2%
    *Just show me the results* 2%

Well, it's horror season (less than a day until A Machine For Pigs), so I thought I'd ask how people feel about horror games. Personally, I love me some horror games - both playing and watching (especially @patrickklepek).

I swear I'm not a @bigjeffrey alt account :P I just thought it would make the poll options easier to parse if I capitalised the important parts.

• 
    AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Horror games just not working for me, but I do like to see people freaking the fuck out.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I love me some horror, playing them specifically. Watching someone else can be funny, but I'd always much rather be playing it myself, especially if it's one that I've never played before. Which, considering it's such a PC-centric genre now, is a lot of 'em...

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SaFt

I love playing them myself but i can't watch people play them. I haven't really watched a lot of people play them though so this might be out of ignorance but i feel that most people while playing these games tend to exaggerate their reactions to the point of almost self parody to what's happening in the game, which is fucking stupid.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's complex. I actually love the settings, aesthetics, and stories in many horror games, and love looking at them at my own pace. But I hate hate hate any kind of startle or jump scare, and don't really actually enjoy any other kind of actual, well, horror either. So I'll sometimes play through them with a guide, so I can see it but know what's coming while I do.

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 34f3ecwdc3

I enjoy playing them, although I haven't try too many. The most scary one for me, was Nosferatu : Wrath of Malachi, but I was a teenager back then. Amnesia : the dark descent, scared me a little bit but didn't work enough to make me complete the game. I hope Outlast and a machine for pigs will freak me out. I watched a little bit people playing Slenderman and it gave me the impression that, that's a game for pussies. But I enjoyed listening to some drunk guys, they are funny.

Loading Video...

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Depends on the person who's playing them. When I play them I'm either stone cold staring at the screen in the dark trying to beat the damn thing, or I'm giggling here and there about some mechanic or something. If it's just gameplay that's almost always fine to watch. I'm getting my survival horror library installed and prepped; it's about time to get started on the horror-fest!

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Love horror games, hate the typical youtuber's way of LPing it.(camera, fake scares, terrible commentary about rape and barrels etc)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

@nekroskop: Is this a reference to that pewdipie guy?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Nekroskop
    Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I enjoy playing horror games, even if they very, very rarely frighten me. Watching others play them is not my thing, though Spookin' With Scoops is an exception. YouTube commenters like PewDiePie go way too far with screaming and other obnoxious bullshit.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

I like a good horror game. The problem is that there aren't too many of them.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@svenzon said:

I enjoy playing horror games, even if they very, very rarely frighten me. Watching others play them is not my thing, though Spookin' With Scoops is an exception. YouTube commenters like PewDiePie go way too far with screaming and other obnoxious bullshit.

More or less where I stand on this.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By falserelic

It's my favorite genre always will be.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By artelinarose

@artelinarose said:

@svenzon said:

More or less where I stand on this.

Though it also really depends on what type of game it is. I love watching Patrick play games like Outlast and Amnesia but I don't really enjoy that sort of horror when I play it myself. I prefer the Fatal Frame style of horror with oppressive atmosphere and the little things that, when you notice them, makes the whole thing so much creepier. Creepy is better than scary. Games like Outlast or Amnesia are like AAAAAA SUDDEN BURST OF ADRENALINE okay its over moving on

That style of horror doesn't really stick with me the way things like "oh my god when you put on headphones and listen you can totally hear another voice dubbed under mayu's in all of her lines oh my goddddd" do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Talking about actual survival horror and not merely games with a horror theme that get lumped in with them; I like almost everything about them save the 'dwindling resources' portion. I don't like worrying that since I played a section poorly or because one boss or regular enemy really whipped my ass, that I've just made the entire rest of the game more difficult, and possibly impossible of finishing. I actually like the fixed camera angles, I like the tank controls, I like the division between combat and nonsensical crank puzzles (but that might be because I love dumb stuff), but I don't like knowing that if I get my ass kicked, I've just screwed myself in the long run.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talking about actual survival horror and not merely games with a horror theme that get lumped in with them; I like almost everything about them save the 'dwindling resources' portion. I don't like worrying that since I played a section poorly or because one boss or regular enemy really whipped my ass, that I've just made the entire rest of the game more difficult, and possibly impossible of finishing. I actually like the fixed camera angles, I like the tank controls, I like the division between combat and nonsensical crank puzzles (but that might be because I love dumb stuff), but I don't like knowing that if I get my ass kicked, I've just screwed myself in the long run.

Yeah, I never had a problem with horror games that had the same mechanics you've mention. I always felt like it added to the tension and made the gameplay more enjoyable. Saving up resources, using the right weapons on certain enemies, know when or when not to engage combat, don't know what challenges I'll be facing next, its stuff like that to always keep me on edge.

I guess I'm just old-school.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.