Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Survival Horror

Concept »

Popularized by franchises such as Resident Evil and Silent Hill, these games typically involve a strong implication of danger, vulnerable protagonists, and disturbing monsters.

Different kinds of horror in horror games

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

I've read an interesting article about the different kinds of horror present in games that disturb us.

Here is the source of the article: The Many Different Types of Horror

And there horror is distinguished in six types:

1. Jump Scares - immediate and unexpected actions near us that trigger in us immediate panic;
    2. Anticipatory panic - the fear of the looming doom for which we are unprepared and is coming;
    3. Disgust - the intense aversion that sometimes leads to panic when something unexpected happens;
    4. Atmospheric horror - when the setting seems to conspire against the main character;
    5. Fear of the unknown - the feeling that is common to all of the horrors that lurk beyond our vision;
    6. Fear of the self - fear of what we might do and what are we;
    7. Fear of the dreaded known - fear of something you know, where that knowledge makes you afraid of it.

These types overloop into one another frequently, with fear of the unknown combined with atmospheric horror, in Silent Hill 2, or when disgust comes with a jump scare, when that being you are performing an autopsy on starts shaking.

Do you agree with these classifications? Can you find any more types in games?

edit: I added the seventh principle, as it was argued in the comments and it seems valid.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#2 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I think that's a fair organization of the types of horrors. Also I would argue that the first few Silent Hill games also have anticipatory panic brought on by the atmospheric horror, same thing with Amnesia.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Isn't the definition for number 2 the same as the definition of "terror?"

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust

@thunderslash said:

Isn't the definition for number 2 the same as the definition of "terror?"

Yep, seems that way to me too. But this way it is more descriptive.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Jump scares. I hate jump scares with a passion. I hate them because they hardly ever feel earned in games. I am playing through Dead Space 2, and there are way too many jump scares in the first quarter of the game (first time playing it).

If I'm walking through a shower area and, while walking past shower heads, a shower head turns on with a loud blast, yeah that is going to make me jump. It was a loud sound that I had no hope in expecting, and I am walking through a room with a foreboding musical score. It is cheap, and it makes me not want to keep playing.

However, Dead Space 2 also provided a good one. In the beginning you run into a couple and the man holds the woman back and says something like "you can't help her, we have to go!". Of course, my reaction is to run towards them to try and help. When you do so, a necromorph jumps out of the vent to the left and scares you, but also stops you from reaching the couple. It was still a jump scare, but it had some meaning to it to me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeust

@huntad said:

Jump scares. I hate jump scares with a passion. I hate them because they hardly ever feel earned in games. I am playing through Dead Space 2, and there are way too many jump scares in the first quarter of the game (first time playing it).

If I'm walking through a shower area and, while walking past shower heads, a shower head turns on with a loud blast, yeah that is going to make me jump. It was a loud sound that I had no hope in expecting, and I am walking through a room with a foreboding musical score. It is cheap, and it makes me not want to keep playing.

However, Dead Space 2 also provided a good one. In the beginning you run into a couple and the man holds the woman back and says something like "you can't help her, we have to go!". Of course, my reaction is to run towards them to try and help. When you do so, a necromorph jumps out of the vent to the left and scares you, but also stops you from reaching the couple. It was still a jump scare, but it had some meaning to it to me.

Your behaviour made that jump scare perfect. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.