Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Superhero

Concept »

A superhero is a fictional character of unprecedented physical prowess dedicated to acts of derring-do in the public interest.

Good games based on Superhero Comics/Movies

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By saoakden

Past few years there have been a number of video games based off superhero comics and films. There are the really good superhero games like Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and the bad ones like Superman 64 or Aquaman: Battle for Alantis.

Some of these games are worth playing, like Batman, and I was wondering what superhero games are actually fun to play. If anyone has played any of these kinds of games please put some down in the comments. It be nice to play a superhero game that didn't suck.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I remember having a lot of fun with Spider Man 2.

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SoleVillain

Here's my opinion on the super hero games I've played. Marvel ultimate alliance: fun, but Highly repetitive game. Better with friends. Like Amazing spiderman: balance do indoor and outdoor gameplay. Indoor gameplay is horrible, outdoor is mixed with so-so sections and a couple epic boss battles. Spiderman web of shadows: underrated game. If you can get past the annoying voice acting, nonsense plot, and weak graphics. Lego batman 2: really cheap on pc, pretty fun and funny

gumdealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By gumdealer

My all time favorite superhero games were the two Freedom Force games on the PC. They weren't based on any real superheroes, but they took inspiration from famous heroes. The mod community for those games were amazing. I can't recommend these games enough.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By frankfartmouth

I really liked the X-Men Legends games, especially the second one

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jonnyboy

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a pretty poor film, and although the game was never going to win any awards on a technical level, it's steadfast commitment to giving you exactly what you want from Wolverine (an angry man stabbing people in the face/neck/chest/balls) with absolutely reckless abandon and tons of gore, made me appreciate the effort.

Long story short, you wanna stab dudes in various ways for a few hours? Grab this out the bargain bin.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By lego_my_eggo

Try inFamous. Its not based on an existing superhero comic, but it hits all the notes and is a very good game. There where a couple of good spider-man games, but most comic book based games are made because there is a movie about them being released, so they are just money grabs and are not very good sadly.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _Zombie_

Ultimate Spider-Man is still one of my favorites. Rise of the Imperfects was good, too. Also;

@jonnyboy said:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a pretty poor film, and although the game was never going to win any awards on a technical level, it's steadfast commitment to giving you exactly what you want from Wolverine (an angry man stabbing people in the face/neck/chest/balls) with absolutely reckless abandon and tons of gore, made me appreciate the effort.

Long story short, you wanna stab dudes in various ways for a few hours? Grab this out the bargain bin.

This. Seriously, just put on some music to ignore the dialogue, and the game is insanely fun.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By 1337W422102
    @gumdealer said:

My all time favorite superhero games were the two Freedom Force games on the PC. They weren't based on any real superheroes, but they took inspiration from famous heroes. The mod community for those games were amazing. I can't recommend these games enough.

Hell yes.  Freedom Force is great and it's only $5 on Steam.  The characters aren't licensed from existing comics/movies or anything, although as gumdealer mentioned, some are pretty obvious homages.

I enjoyed Champions Online, a free-to-play formerly subscription-based superhero MMO with a very powerful character customization/creation system.  I think I've spent as much time making characters as I have spent playing as them.  I haven't tried City of Heroes, but it's free now, too, so that might be worth checking out.

I dug the hell out of Separation Anxiety but I sucked hard at it.  Shattered Dimensions was pretty damn cool, too.  Gimmicky, but cool.  There were some good X-Men sidescrollers in the SNES/Gensis era that were good, albeit hard.  If fighting games are you bag, there's a number of superhero crossover fighting games out there.
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Zippedbinders

The first half of Wolverine Origins is pretty good, but it deteriorates pretty quickly into monotony. The Batman Arkham and Lego games are good fun, along with the old NES one, which basically Ninja Gaiden: Batman.

I'm currently playing through Ultimate Spider-Man, and its fun to swing around the city. The graphics hold up pretty dang well thanks to the celshading. I'm really looking forward to playing Amazing at some point.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed

Batman on the NES.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Levius

I remember loving the Punisher game, which I believe is a early Volition joint. Going back to a PS2 era third person shoot will probably be brutal however.But man you can shove a guy into a tank of piranhas

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _Zombie_

@AmatureIdiot said:

I remember loving the Punisher game, which I believe is a early Volition joint. Going back to a PS2 era third person shoot will probably be brutal however.But man you can shove a guy into a tank of piranhas

Yes! I loved that game. The torture kills were awesome. I remember the final boss fight against Jigsaw being a bitch, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Spider-Man 2 and Maximum Carnage are my two favorite Spider-Man games. Spider-Man 2, particularly, has the best webswinging mechanics of any of the free roam Spider-Man games.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance seems like an obvious suggestion, but one I'll make regardless. Ultimate Alliance 2 has less of the original's magic, but is still totally worth playing.

They aren't based on comics, really, but InFamous and InFamous 2 are both pretty neat as well.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By handlas

I just beat The Amazing Spider-man. It was okay. Too many bland sewer/Oscorp offices hurt it but when you get to fight bosses out in the city it's really fun. So I'd say that game is serviceable.

Makes me want to go and play Shattered Dimensions... never played it. I know its not an open city game but it still looks good to me.

Someone else mentioned Infamous...well that vampire DLC for Infamous 2 is on sale. Just picked it up. Loving it more than the main game.

spree4567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spree4567

I'll say Spider-Man 2 as well. X-Men Origins Wolverine is also mindless fun. The Captain America game that came out with the movie isn't that bad either, it's basically a lesser version of one of the Arkham games.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By saoakden

I remember playing Spider-man 2, Ultimate Spider-man, Spider-man Shattered Demnisions, and i had fun playing those games.

I heard of Infamous and looks fun. & currently I dont have a PS3. I want to play the Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City really badly as well as Amazing Spider-Man it looks like a ton of fun.

I am really hoping Injustice Gods Among Us is a really good game. Its being made by the same guys who made MK9 so it better be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.