Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

This got a 10/10 on gamespot.

• 134 results
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#101  Edited By Claude
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " EliasT: Please give us your review so we can understand better what is so wrong with Galaxy 2. "
    Yes please. I'd love to hear what you thought about yoshi's control scheme and all the other new features of the game. "
    This guy is nothing more than a Wii hater troll. You'll get nothing worthwhile from him.
    EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By EliasT
    @Claude said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " EliasT: Please give us your review so we can understand better what is so wrong with Galaxy 2. "
    Yes please. I'd love to hear what you thought about yoshi's control scheme and all the other new features of the game. "
    This guy is nothing more than a Wii hater troll. You'll get nothing worthwhile from him. "
    Hahahahaha, that's a good one Claude, old pal.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#103  Edited By AgentJ
    @EliasT said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    This guy is nothing more than a Wii hater troll. You'll get nothing worthwhile from him. "
    Hahahahaha, that's a good one Claude, old pal. "
    So? How is it?
    PenguinDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By PenguinDoctor
    @Hailinel:
    Since games started costing 60 dollars.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By ryanwho

Everything costs more because of inflation. Bottom line is 60 dollars is not a lot of money considering everything you get in this game, and its also not a lot of money for someone who actually has a job.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#106  Edited By Hailinel
    @EliasT said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @EliasT said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    So? How is it? "
    Oh leave me alone. You know I'm not about to play a fucking Mario game. Mario is for whiny manchildren who rate a game based on nostalgia. "
    So...you're calling Ryan a whiny man-child, then?  I mean, he enjoyed the game and gave it five stars.

You keep drinking that Haterade, son.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Hailinel
    @PenguinDoctor said:
    " @Hailinel: Since games started costing 60 dollars. "
    You apparently never bought an SNES cartridge brand new at launch for about $90.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#109  Edited By Meowayne

Please don't reply to this troll anymore, thanks. :D

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ryanwho
    @EliasT: Pretty pathetic rationalization but since I already feel sorry for you there's no point pressing the matter. Enjoy your "real" games I guess, have fun talking shit about games for consoles you don't own. A winning lifestyle.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Hailinel
    @EliasT said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @EliasT said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @EliasT said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    So? How is it? "
    Oh leave me alone. You know I'm not about to play a fucking Mario game. Mario is for whiny manchildren who rate a game based on nostalgia. "
    So...you're calling Ryan a whiny man-child, then?  I mean, he enjoyed the game and gave it five stars. You keep drinking that Haterade, son. "
    Ryan gave that game that score so Wii fanboys wouldn't slaughter him. That's how bad Wii fanboys are. "
    Yes, god forbid that he would give it a star rating and review he felt it deserved.  The obvious answer must be the one laced with absurd levels of vitriol and paranoia.
    NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666
    @brainboy77: By not making the story the focus of the game?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By ryanwho

Everyone knows how sensitive Ryan Davis is, after all. Every little comment people make he takes to heart. This is a man known for his empathy and fear of confrontation. So I guess he rates games to keep people from sending him angry messages, because he reads every single message people send to him. 

Any thinking man can see this is the logical deduction to make.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brainboy77 said:
    " I don't get it. The reviewer admits that the story takes a backseat, a flaw in every mario game and galaxy 1. How do you make a perfect game without a good story? "
    Perfection doesn't exist, you should probably stop using that word in relation to games. Story isn't as integral to games as they are in other media 
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#115  Edited By Icemael
    @Jimbo said:

"If by giving this game a 10 they're saying it's the best game that has ever been available on the market, then hell yeah I'm interested.  If they're saying it's the best game that has ever been available on the Wii, then I'm... less interested."

"a game that scores extremely high is an outstanding game by any standards." 

10/10 is not only extremely high -- it's the highest. Which means Super Mario Galaxy 2 is not only an outstanding game, but among the best of the bestby any standards.

@Jimbo

said: 

"hell yeah I'm interested."

Good to hear.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Claude

My next blog should be
     My next blog should be "Diary of a Manchild".
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#117  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Claude: ...Cut the hair, get rid of the artsy hat and don't wear a wii shirt. Then maybe people will take you seriously
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Meowayne

oh god where is the +1 button where has it gone

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By andrela
    @brainboy77 said:
    " I don't get it. The reviewer admits that the story takes a backseat, a flaw in every mario game and galaxy 1. How do you make a perfect game without a good story? "
    10/10 does not mean a game is perfect. Nothing can ever be perfect, ever. And no game will ever be perfect. 10/10 simply means the game is excellent and is one of the best and most enjoyable gaming experiences out there
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#120  Edited By Fallen189
    @Whisperkill said:
    " @Claude: ...Cut the hair, get rid of the artsy hat and don't wear a wii shirt. Then maybe people will take you seriously "
    He's a fucking grown ass man. I'm pretty sure he doesnt' need to be taken seriously. Less by forum goers who judge his maturity through a picture.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Claude
    @Whisperkill: 
    I like going to Gamestop with that shirt on, actually, I just got back from the mall. I took a little stroll into Babbage's, haters gonna hate. I'm pretty damn artsy, big theater nerd.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Supermarius
    @EliasT said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @EliasT said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    So? How is it? "
    why do you even bother talking if you are going to say things like this? This completely undermines anything you have said. Noone who sees this post will be able to take your opinions about anything seriously from now on because they can see the level of thought you put in. You have to be a troll.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123  Edited By Willy105
    @EliasT said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" @EliasT said:

" Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Soul Calibur were WAY MORE deserving of their 10/10's than SMBG2, and what makes this even worse, the Wii fanboys will be rubbing it in our faces for at least 3 years.  Seriously, at this point, I couldn't hate Super Mario any more. I wish Nintendo went out of business, I hate them that much. "
    Isn't that enough to get you banned? Anyway, sucks to be you. Your taste in games seems like a real burden. "
     That isn't enough to get anybody banned.  And at least I don't have to buy any game that gets a 6-7 (rarely an 8, if Wii fanboys sacrifice 2 members a month instead of 1) and praise the fuck out of it because that's all my console has. You Wii fanboys make me sad. "

We should make you sad. We are a lot happier than you are. 

You don't see people with our name color going around and pretending we are better than you. We are too busy playing games to do so. If your console has so much better games than ours, go away and play them. Live off in your own little world, playing the same type of games while we play something new and good.

And, if you have even the slightest intention to keep yourself from looking like a fanboy clown, I suggest you start speaking like someone who is old enough tor register for an account on this site. I don't like pressing the Report button, I really don't, but if there is any correct time to use it, it would be on you.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Willy105
    @Tarsier said:
    " nostalgia is a powerful thing  "
    What's even better is that these games create nostalgia.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Meowayne
    @Tarsier said:
    " nostalgia is a powerful thing  "
    Has nothing to do with nostalgia. I don't have nostalgia for Mario Games, I don't have nostalgia for Zelda games, or for Metroid games, they were never a relevant part of my childhood. I can play these games for what they are. Zelda games are meh for the most part, Metroid games are sometimes good sometimes bad, and I didn't care that much for NSMBWii.

But Galaxy is fucking awesome. This has nothing to do with nostalgia, and all with game / level / sound design and originality.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ToadRunner

gamespot used to review games for real, now it seems any game that walks along is 9+

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @ryanwho said:
    " Everything costs more because of inflation. Bottom line is 60 dollars is not a lot of money considering everything you get in this game, and its also not a lot of money for someone who actually has a job. "
    I have a job...
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#128  Edited By AgentJ
    @ToadRunner said:
    " gamespot used to review games for real, now it seems any game that walks along is 9+ "
    Maybe games in general just got a lot better?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Hailinel

And if we're going to single out a website for giving the game a "perfect" score, it's not like Gamespot and Giant Bomb are the only ones.  Of the reviews that metacritic is tracking, twelve sources have given Mario Galaxy 2 the highest scores on their respective scales.  And the other reviews the game has gotten have all been glowing thus far, as well:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/supermariogalaxy2

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#130  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " @Claude: ...Cut the hair, get rid of the artsy hat and don't wear a wii shirt. Then maybe people will take you seriously "
    He's a fucking grown ass man. I'm pretty sure he doesnt' need to be taken seriously. Less by forum goers who judge his maturity through a picture. "
    @Claude:  

I was being sarcastic in response to Elias actually. I guess the internet isn't really good for it though.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Claude
    @Whisperkill said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    He's a fucking grown ass man. I'm pretty sure he doesnt' need to be taken seriously. Less by forum goers who judge his maturity through a picture. "
    @Claude:   I was being sarcastic in response to Elias actually. I guess the internet isn't really good for it though. "
    I knew you were. I could tell. But I am pretty damn artsy, don't get me started on the fartsy.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Meowayne

Perhaps the most unbelievable of all, Super Mario Galaxy 2 scored 10/10 on Eurogamer. Yes, Eurogamer! 
    With Eurogamer, EDGE and Gamespot, it has now received perfect scores on the most Wii-unfriendly popular review outlets that exist. Congratulations. :P

You can't really complain about more of the same, when the same is the one thing it never is. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Meowayne

It has now also surpassed the first game on metacritic and gamerankings, and on both is only topped by Ocarina of Time.

Hiroshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Hiroshi

Edge Magazine

This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away.

Read Full Review >

1UP

Takes everything its predecessor did and maintains that urgent sense of wonder and discovery, creating a world that copies its past self, yet keeps the freshness that made it so exciting when the first game debuted two years ago.

Read Full Review >

IGN

Consider me “wowed.” Again. Yes, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it’s not a “me too” experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new.

Read Full Review >

Games Radar (in-house)

Expanding on the original’s brilliance, this ingenious platformer only gets better by embracing the Wii’s limited capabilities and adds so many ideas, big and small, that we can’t help but love it. Even if you (mistakenly) believe it’s too similar to the first game, what’s wrong with more of an incredibly great thing?

Read Full Review >

The Escapist

Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't tinker with the established formula very much, but we didn't really want it to. It's huge, brilliant, and gorgeous. It's why you started playing videogames in the first place.

Read Full Review >

Digital Chumps

Even the harshest critics will struggle to find fault in its symphony of imagination, execution, and polish, while fans will cherish its brilliance for years to come as one of the very best games in history. Quite simply put, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the reason I still play videogames.

Read Full Review >

Kombo

Super Mario Galaxy was a triumph, but the sequel manages to take things to a new level of excellence by adding new material as well as fixing elements that, in hindsight, did not appear to be broken.

Read Full Review >

Giant Bomb

For all the meaningful changes and additions that have been made, this is still more Super Mario Galaxy--which is to say that it looks and sounds about as good as a game for the Wii ever has, with consistently inventive level design, and exceptionally responsive gameplay.

Read Full Review >

GameSpot

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is simply an outstanding game. It never rests on its laurels for a second, constantly presenting new objectives and mechanics to push you to never before seen places. Even the two-player mode offers new abilities and delights, making it even more fun to play with a friend by your side.

Read Full Review >

Nintendo Life

Every once in a while a video game comes along that's just so spectacular that it ends up defining the very system it's released on and raises the bar by which all other games in the series and genre will be judged. It's safe to say that game has now arrived on the Wii console.

Read Full Review >

Kikizo

A whiff of expansion packishness aside, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is another breath of fresh air in an oppressively and perhaps misguidedly ‘mature’ gaming climate, a chubby, blue-eyed God among chest-bumping, photorealism-brown, cover-seeking insects. Whether you own a Wii or not, there are, quite frankly, no excuses.

Read Full Review >

Destructoid

They poured in the same creativity and imagination that made me fall in love with games like Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. To me it feels like they finally felt the freedom and comfort in 3D platforming to get back to that Nintendo magic that we all remember. The end result is a galaxy of surprise after surprise, all coming together in a game that tops even my past favorites, making this the best Mario game Nintendo has released.

Read Full Review >

The Onion (A.V. Club)

It’s confounding how this simple world can evoke feelings of curiosity, wonder, and dread all at once.

Read Full Review >

Eurogamer

A simple extension of the Galaxy concept, Super Mario Galaxy 2 can't possibly have the same impact. But it does have the same spirit, throwing new ideas at you with gleeful and impulsive abandon, leaving you breathless, scrambling happily to keep up.

Read Full Review >

Telegraph

For a game that runs so wild with imagination, it’s remarkable to witness everything executed with such elegance... Nintendo has drawn a giant, gleeful gallery of magnificent pictures and painted within the lines, all intoxicating detail and colour. It’s a toy box full of childlike wonder, but with a grown-up sensibility, where the pieces all fit.

Read Full Review >

Eurogamer Portugal

The constant challenge provided (especially towards the end) joined with the ever-changing genres and challenges make Super Mario Galaxy 2 an exceptional game.

Read Full Review >

games(TM)

No matter which side of the gaming coin you come from, this whole new universe of planets is the most inventive, exuberant and, yes, fun set of challenges and diversions yet seen in the platform game genre. It miraculously outclasses a game that many believed could not be bettered, and once again leaves us wondering just how close Nintendo’s bar has come to reaching its theoretical peak.

Read Full Review >

Cheat Code Central

One of the best qualities of SMG2 is the speedy gameplay and the multitude of levels spread out into several different worlds within an ever-expansive universe. Even when you think you're done, you'll realize there are plenty of unlockable galaxies you'll get to explore with time.

Read Full Review >

Official Nintendo Magazine UK

If you loved Galaxy you'll adore this. Yet another dazzling high-water mark in Mario's career. [June 2010, p.75]

GameTrailers

There is more creativity in some single stages in this game than in entire other games. It's a bit familiar, but all the fat has been cut away to expose a pure gaming core. There's something for just about everyone and games that we can truly recommend to almost everyone are rare.

Read Full Review >

NintendoWorldReport

It is the truest sequel Nintendo has produced in over a decade.

Read Full Review >

Worth Playing

While Super Mario Galaxy 2 could easily have been a cheap cash-in with a few lackluster additional levels, it manages to be something more. It expands on the gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy and adds enough new twists and turns to feel like a full-fledged sequel.

Read Full Review >

Computer and Video Games

More imaginative, more challenging, more fun... more of the (brilliant) same.

Read Full Review >

Game Informer

Super Mario Galaxy 2 throws something new at you nearly every single level - and with over 240 stars to collect, that's no small feat. [Issue#206, p.94]

Read Full Review >

Wired

Simultaneously more and less than its predecessor. It expands and elaborates on the gameplay in unpredictable ways, but the last one felt like a bigger, more complete adventure. That said, better core gameplay with less window dressing is infinitely preferable to the reverse.

Read Full Review >

GamePro

Galaxy 2 is a constant deluge of fresh ideas that are successful -- not because of its place in a franchise -- but because it is wholly willing to reinvent itself on the fly.

Read Full Review >

GameDaily

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is largely more of the same, and that helps make it a phenomenal experience. Nintendo didn't reinvent the formula. Instead, it took what fans loved about the prequel and then jazzed everything up with never before seen galaxies, planets and a more streamlined user interface.

Read Full Review >
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Willy105

So, second best reviewed game of all time.....

....neat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.