Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 01, 1998

StarCraft has been called the greatest real-time strategy game ever and it's certainly one of the most critically acclaimed. StarCraft features three powerful, yet balanced races: the Terrans, the Zerg, and the Protoss. You play as each race fights to the death for the fate of the universe.

My first experience with Starcraft.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By nrain

I've never been an RTS man myself. I've always preferred games where you shoot dudes, not games where you tell people to shoot dudes. However all the footage of the Starcraft 2 beta has me seriously considering getting a rig and investing some serious time into it when it comes out, but  since I've never played starcraft before I thought it would be a good idea to try out the original before some Korean guy makes me cry.  

First off the opening CG movie has well...dated, I guess I just had to be there in the late 90s to appreciate it. I went straight into the Terran campaign and found the gameplay very easy to pick up despite me having little to no experience with RTS's before, the HUD layout and controls are perfect, plus the graphics have a timeless style that still looks good. 

Now the downside, the AI for path finding is awful. The AI gets confused by simple rocks or obstacles that I have to click several times in order for them to navigate a path correctly. Jim Raynor died stupidly because of this; he got rushed by many aliens so I franticly click to get him to drive away back to my army, only for him to go in the opposite direction :@. The lack of variable dialog can get annoying too, I've only been playing for an hour and I'm already sick and tired of the marines saying the same 3 pieces of dialog. 

I am enjoying Starcraft but I feel I will enjoy the newer more technically advanced sequel more when it comes out.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nrain

I've never been an RTS man myself. I've always preferred games where you shoot dudes, not games where you tell people to shoot dudes. However all the footage of the Starcraft 2 beta has me seriously considering getting a rig and investing some serious time into it when it comes out, but  since I've never played starcraft before I thought it would be a good idea to try out the original before some Korean guy makes me cry.  

First off the opening CG movie has well...dated, I guess I just had to be there in the late 90s to appreciate it. I went straight into the Terran campaign and found the gameplay very easy to pick up despite me having little to no experience with RTS's before, the HUD layout and controls are perfect, plus the graphics have a timeless style that still looks good. 

Now the downside, the AI for path finding is awful. The AI gets confused by simple rocks or obstacles that I have to click several times in order for them to navigate a path correctly. Jim Raynor died stupidly because of this; he got rushed by many aliens so I franticly click to get him to drive away back to my army, only for him to go in the opposite direction :@. The lack of variable dialog can get annoying too, I've only been playing for an hour and I'm already sick and tired of the marines saying the same 3 pieces of dialog. 

I am enjoying Starcraft but I feel I will enjoy the newer more technically advanced sequel more when it comes out.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Alphazero

Eventually, after much brainwashing, the lack of variable dialog becomes the best part. It's been... what... twelve years since I started playing, and I still love the siege tanks and their, "I'm about to drop the hammer!"

Jimmy Raynor never dies. He's just missing in action.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

i wanted to play starcraft for a long time now. only played it once at a cousin's house and it was cool, but i  prefer shooting dudes.  

your impressions were good to read. i personally find dated games to be well, obviously old feeling but still having a charm. 

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By insouciant

In my first experience playing StarCraft, I played at a cute girl's house who actually liked StarCraft.  She nuked me.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By august

This is Jimmy.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nrain
    @august said:
    " This is Jimmy. "
    YES JIMMY I KNOW, IT'S WHY I CLICKED ON YOU!
    Arubiano420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Arubiano420

READY TO ROLL OUT!

Avatar image for deactivated-5806ee571ffac
    deactivated-5806ee571ffac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You wanna piece of me boy?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august
    @nrain said:
    " @august said:
    " This is Jimmy. "
    YES JIMMY I KNOW, IT'S WHY I CLICKED ON YOU! "
    Raynor here.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NoXious

My biggest gripe is that the User Interface is actually limiting your strategic capabilities >.<
    No MBS to make it easier to create loads of units, no selecting multiple types of mobs and tabbing through em with ease, only 12 units per selection (have fun as a zerg :-P) and the dreaded pathing that demands micro so you don't have half your army left down the ramp.

When you've played StarCraft 2 (or watched a lot of replays because you're not in the beta *cough*) you'll realize all of these things are actually fixed! Pathing is superb, you could even make the claim that it is INTELLIGENT.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By John1912

Yea, helps soooo much to play a game when it first came out.  I pulled SC out when I heard SC2 was announced.  I thought over all it held up great.  Yea some of those opening videos are pretty ugly now, but they were not back then.  The game still plays as good or better then alot of new RTS games, great atmosphere, great story, great chars.  Ive prob played threw the main game 5-6x, and expansion 4-5x since 1998 and enjoy it every time. It is one of the top 10 best games of all time easy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.