Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

The Entire KeSPA and Blizzard Fiasco In A Nutshell

• 95 results
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

From KeSPA's Standpoint 

1.  KeSPA makes Starcraft popular during the early 2000s, Blizzard does nothing. 
    2.  Starcraft Brood War grows into something no one expected, not even Blizzard. 
    3.  In the years coming, Starcraft Brood War pretty much started E-Gaming. 
    4.  In 2008 Blizzard wants piece of the money, they ask for "Royalties". 
    5.  KeSPA says Blizzard never asked when SCBW was growing, and wants to know why it's now such a big deal. 
    6.  Blizzard makes shady deals and does everything to maintain their copyrights.  
    7.  Blizzard wants cash, and cash alone.  Greedy fucks.

--------  

From Blizzard's Standpoint 

1.  Dudes are using our games in live TV, it will help the game grow. 
    2.  We are making a sequel and want to make money off it this time. 
    3.  Goes to KeSPA and says "gg" it was fun...give us money. 
    4.  Claims to do it for "copyright" reasons, yet has no problem if other TV stations follow Blizzard's new ruleset.   
    5.  How can we force copyrights?  Take out the LAN and require users to connect to Blizzard's Servers for online play. 
    6.  Thanks for all the help KeSPA, we don't need you anymore. 

------- 

Bottom line, it has everything to do with monies.  KeSPA is pissed because they made SC what it is today.  Blizzard is pissed cause they couldn't cash out on it back then, and want to start cashing in on it now. 

LAN play didn't require copyright laws due to it not physically touching anything Blizzard owned server base.  Hence why they took it out, and require the forced Battle.net 2.0 login to play...it proves the TV station is airing stuff on Blizzard's servers, and Blizzard is all over it.

Both sides are at fault, so I won't pick one.  It's up to you guys to make up your own minds.  Just know both sides fucked up.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 37

#2  Edited By Jazz

Wait...KeSPA made SC what it is today? While i don't deny they gave it publicity I think you'll find that Blizzard are the ones that made the game what it is today. With or without KeSPA it would still be an awesome game. Blizzard own the copyright, fair enough there is an area of discussion over whether they can enforce it after so long in regard to streaming events..but legally they have every right to attempt to enforce it.  If they find a way of using it to generate more income for themselves, tough luck.
    They are a company, their main focuses are providing the best experience possible and therefore generating the highest cash flow possible. Why is anyone surprised that they want to make as much money out of their product as possible? Are people that naive to think otherwise?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jazz: KeSPA's point is that Blizzard never asked from 2000-2007, and just started to ask once they announced Starcraft II.  Why wasn't Blizzard there in Korea to help everyone out when they were building it up?  That's KeSPA's point, Blizzard didn't do shit to help Koreans into this and it was privatized.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jimbo
    @KaosAngel said:
    "That's KeSPA's point, Blizzard didn't do shit to help Koreans into this and it was privatized. "
    Apart from, you know, make the game?
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88

Yeah I'm gonna side with Blizzard on this one. They can do whatever the fuck they want seeing as StarCraft wouldn't exist without Blizzard.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By babblinmule

It still seems to me that Blizzard decided to look at the news one day, realised that KeSPA were making a ton of money after building up for so many years, and therefore wanted to grab some of the money. Whether or not Blizzard made the starcraft franchise what it is today is irrelavent - it still looks like attempted theft in my eyes.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @KaosAngel: Don't forget who just spent millions of dollars developing the hit sequel to the game that KeSPA's business is founded on. Simple fact is without Blizzard they're nothing so I think it's entirely reasonable that Blizzard should charge some sort of fee for the use of their game on live TV broadcasts. 

Pretty much all sports are a commercial enterprise these days anyway so I find it confusing that you're looking to single out esports as somehow different to the rest, maybe you're still thinking of it as dudes at home having a lan game rather than a true professional sport.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @gunslingerNZ:  @Binman88: Koreans aren't siding with Blizzard though, SC2 didn't even do that well compared to Blizzard's expectation and the vast majority are still on BW watching the BW matches.  In the eyes of Koreans, it was the Korean companies that build up the BW community and they have a valid point.  Without Korea, BW wouldn't be what it is today. 

They find it odd that Blizzard never asked for money during 2000-2007, and just started to ask once SC2 was announced, they also find it bad that they took out LAN for the copyrights.  You need to see it from the other eye, there's always two sides. 

" It still seems to me that Blizzard decided to look at the news one day, realised that KeSPA were making a ton of money after building up for so many years, and therefore wanted to grab some of the money. Whether or not Blizzard made the starcraft franchise what it is today is irrelavent - it still looks like attempted theft in my eyes. "
    This is pretty much how Koreans see the situation.  :\
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

Still, greedy fucks! Making everyone pay, with the no LAN decision, so that they can cash in, in tournaments.  

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Nasos100

their game their rules i guess, 
    And for LAN i couldnt care less. Warcraft 3 has LAN. I love that game but i didnt touch the LAN option,

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jazz
    @KaosAngel:  
    Right so...between 2000-2007 Blizz never asked for any money, but KeSPA made a shit ton off a property that they themselves do not own. When SC2 was released, Blizz asked them to either give royalties to Blizz in order from them to broadcast SC2, or just keep on with BW and not pay royalties? 
    I'm sorry....if they aren't asking for back dated royalties from 2000-2007 KeSPA have no counter argument. They've been making money off someone else's product with only a tacit approval. SC2 is a new product and if Blizz want to change the rules, that's their prerogative.   If the Koreans don't like it...that's tough.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jazz: At what cost though?  Due to the greed of both sides we are now lost of the follow: 

1.  No LAN support. 
    2.  No Custom Leagues that Professionals play on. 
    3.  No true way to determine ranking. 
    4.  Hands down the worst Custom Map lobby in the history of gaming. 
    5.  Battle.net 2.0 is one step forward and two steps back. 

iCCup is pissed as shit becasue they can't rank the community like they've done with WC3, DoTA, and BW.  It's all locked to Blizzard and the true gamer league ICCup can't do anything about it.  To the newcomers on SC2, they might not care about iCCup but to us who played DotA, WC3, and BW...this is a huge deal.  It was the only way to truly unit all players regardless of locations...and their ranking system was flawless. 

@dudeglove: Go to TeamLiquid...this has been common knowledge for years, Brad even talked about it on the Bombcast.  Use Google.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jazz
    @KaosAngel:  

It's also only been out for a month, if that. It took 3 years for SC to find it's feet originally. I'm sure this one will develop natural remedies to counter your complaints..It's in Blizzard's interest to keep the (spit) 'hardcore' gamers happy as much as the rest of the planet, if that means they funnel all of the matches etc through Blizzard servers alone then thats tough luck. Their product, their decision.  These people were making money off someone else's product at no extra cost. That is not economically viable for Blizzard. If that means ICCup is relegated to only dealing with BW, DoTA, WC3...well that's 2 Blizzard games and an addon that they can make money off. This only applies to SC2, not the older games..at least that's the way you are presenting it. That's still a lot to work with. 
    I'm sorry, but to suggest that Blizzard are being underhanded in their dealings is naive and really pathetic. They aren't taking away something they already have, they're just not giving them something for free.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jazz: The Koreans see it as "them cashing in".  Blizzard was all happy to let Korea populate BW worldwide by showing people what was possible.  iCCup jumped in and unified the regions, and made hands down the the best way to rank someone with millions and millions of users worldwide.   

Without Korea, BW would not be as big as it is now.  All the legends, all the tales, all the epic matches, they wouldn't be there.  Look at WC3 and how that turned out, BW would've followed the same path without Korea. 

You need to see it from the Korean's eyes.  They feel Blizzard is doing it just to get rich and not help the community.  The current League system is a joke, but people who just started with SC2 and never heard of iCCup think it's fine.  In truth it isn't.  The hardcore BW fans lost out most with this fiasco.  

EDIT:  Blizzard could have easily jumped in during 2000-2007 and asked for royalties, but they didn't.  They waited to see how big it would get.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By shiftymagician

To be honest, this is simply a failure on both parties.  Blizzard has the right now to get some sort of pay for televising their game over there, but at the same time, you would think Blizzard would be catering more effectively to the very people who grew the game into what it is today, a national pastime.  Sure the game was a success world-wide, but the success of the rest of the world do not hold a candle compared to what they had (and still has to some extent) over at South Korea.  No other country looked at the game as a sport, and created official leagues over a single game.  I still find it crazy that South Korea went this nuts over software when I think about it.

In summary, I pretty much have a similar viewpoint to KaosAngel on this issue.  Also, what happened to the Pro League?  Did Blizzard just can this?  I would have thought that league would be great to bring all the top players under one unified ladder, but I guess they dropped yet another ball here?

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By groin
    @KaosAngel said:
     Both sides are at fault, so I won't pick one.  It's up to you guys to make up your own minds.  Just know both sides fucked up. "
    It seems like you have indeed picked a side after I read the rest of this thread. This is obvious propaganda.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jazz
    @KaosAngel: So there's nothing wrong with Korean's exploiting SC to make a profit? Even though Blizzard continue to allow BW, DoTA and WC3? If they can't have SC2 follow the same format the world stops?
    I can appreciate that the Koreans would see it differently, but Blizzard isn't a Korean company, it's a worldwide company. Pandering to one country over another, however popular the game is in that country, makes no economic sense. To use some RTS terminology, Blizzard is going for the macro view, while to me this seems to be very much a micro view. Yes, SC is a national pass time in Korea, and they've built systems around it to support it. However in the rest of the world it most certainly is not. It's a very niche game with limited appeal to the Halo generation or younger.  They would like to replicate the same success they've had in Korea in other parts of the world, but they would like to control it this time and..yes shockingly...make money off of it. Is this so difficult to understand? Koreans aren't the only people who play SC at a competitive level. You're making it sound like it's the deathknell of tournament play. It's not. I would again point out that SC2 has just launched and there may be changes ahead, but when you're dealing with a world wide launch not everyone is going to be happy. Things change, and hopefully the competitive scene in Korea will evolve with it. I'm sorry...but that's just business. 
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Semition
    @groin said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
     Both sides are at fault, so I won't pick one.  It's up to you guys to make up your own minds.  Just know both sides fucked up. "
    It seems like you have indeed picked a side after I read the rest of this thread. This is obvious propaganda. "
    Doesn't seem like it to me. I think it's just there's a lot more people defending Blizzard in this thread so Kaos responds by criticizing Blizzard more.
    alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alternate

Very fair and balanced - I see a job reporting for FOX NEWS in your future.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its Blizzards game. Its as simple as that. They can do what they please.

cartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cartvader

I never realized that Blizzard just made games out of the goodness of their hearts.  I thought they were always trying to make a living off of the work they do.  hunh.... they are greedy... just like every other game company/business?

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cataphract1014

A company wanting to make money off of their product?  WHAT!?  Unpossible!

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gaff

"But the number was still "light of some forecasts," according to Lazard Capital analyst Colin Sebastian, who said Activision's official numbers might not paint the entire picture of the commercial strength of the game.
    "While this number is light of some forecasts, we view this as largely a U.S. [plus] Europe number, with the majority of users in Korea still not reflected in the count," Sebastian noted. In Korea, the game, released worldwide on July 27, is massively popular, and pro StarCraft players are treated as celebrities.
    "In other words, once the game in Korea shifts from 'free trial' to purchases, we expect the overall user base to be closer to the forecasts, and sales figures not as front-end loaded as expected," Sebastian said.
    The analyst noted that the business model for StarCraft II varies by region. While Westerners pay for the game in one lump at retailers or digitally through Battle.net, other regions charge for the game using time cards and other models based on usage.

Gamasutra news article, dated August 3rd

I'll wait until the Korean sales numbers are published before calling it. Either that or how many KeSPA players can resist the temptation of being prohibited of playing Starcraft 2.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Red12b
    @Gaff said:
    "

"But the number was still "light of some forecasts," according to Lazard Capital analyst Colin Sebastian, who said Activision's official numbers might not paint the entire picture of the commercial strength of the game.
    "While this number is light of some forecasts, we view this as largely a U.S. [plus] Europe number, with the majority of users in Korea still not reflected in the count," Sebastian noted. In Korea, the game, released worldwide on July 27, is massively popular, and pro StarCraft players are treated as celebrities.
    "In other words, once the game in Korea shifts from 'free trial' to purchases, we expect the overall user base to be closer to the forecasts, and sales figures not as front-end loaded as expected," Sebastian said.
    The analyst noted that the business model for StarCraft II varies by region. While Westerners pay for the game in one lump at retailers or digitally through Battle.net, other regions charge for the game using time cards and other models based on usage.

Gamasutra news article, dated August 3rd.  I'll wait until the Korean sales numbers are published before calling it. Either that or how many KeSPA players can resist the temptation of being prohibited of playing Starcraft 2. "
    Holy shit, that sucks.  

Trusted News Source! 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Red12b: If you have WoW in Korea you get SC2 for free too.  The WoW costs cover WoW and SC2...if they had that in the States I'd totally do that.
    Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kinarion

Perhaps an analogy would be helpful.   

Imagine an up-and-coming musician released his first album for free onto a file-sharing site.  The album, by virtue of community support from word of mouth and reuploads elsewhere, became a hit.   

The artist, now well-known, puts out a second album, but this time he puts it out on store shelves.

While this ignores some of the minutia of the situation, including the up-front cost of broodwar and Blizzard's continuous patch support, it addresses what I feel is the major predicament faced by Blizzard, KeSPA, and SC fans.  The debt each party has for the other does not preclude Blizzard from trying something new.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sixghost
    First of all, you clearly underestimate how much Koreans also hates KeSPA. The organization is pretty inept and has been involved in contraversies over stupid decisions and rules since their creation, there's a reason they are referred to as "GeSPA" or Dog-SPA (I assume it sounds worse in korean lol). Also, you conviently forget to mention how KeSPA fucked over just about every foreign(non-korean) starcraft fan when they absolutely torpedo'd the GOM Starleague. KeSPA doesn't give a fuck about the fans or the players, if so, they wouldn't have used their only bargaining chip(the players) to kill the only league that offered English coverage, and in doing so took away another tournament in which the players could gain experience, recognition, and money.
    @KaosAngel
    said:
    "@Jazz: The Koreans see it as "them cashing in".  Blizzard was all happy to let Korea populate BW worldwide by showing people what was possible.  iCCup jumped in and unified the regions, and made hands down the the best way to rank someone with millions and millions of users worldwide.    Without Korea, BW would not be as big as it is now.  All the legends, all the tales, all the epic matches, they wouldn't be there.  Look at WC3 and how that turned out, BW would've followed the same path without Korea.  You need to see it from the Korean's eyes.  They feel Blizzard is doing it just to get rich and not help the community.  The current League system is a joke, but people who just started with SC2 and never heard of iCCup think it's fine.  In truth it isn't.  The hardcore BW fans lost out most with this fiasco.   EDIT:  Blizzard could have easily jumped in during 2000-2007 and asked for royalties, but they didn't.  They waited to see how big it would get. " 
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Hmm well at least they didn't try and jump in on BW popularity and try to be bitches about that. 

SC2 is shiny new content, and Blizzard wants a take of the profits being made off of their intellectual property. Seems only fair to me.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By ch13696

I'm all with you. My main issue is that I'm pissed to see that they got rid of LAN and replaced it with something you have to constantly log into. I'm sure that Blizzard has a pretty good online infrastructure and is able to keep downtimes from happening, but it's peoples internet connections. I know for a fact that maybe once or twice a month my internet goes out for a good 6 or 7 hours due to something going wrong with Time Warner. During that downtime I would like to still play my games. Now to see the reason why they took out LAN was to have a constant connection into their own servers is just ridiculous. At this point Blizzard has lost my attention. They completely forgot what PC gaming is all about. People running their own connections and servers. 

Yeah argue your point all you want, but I sure the hell don't want my PC turning into a console.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JokerSmilez

The fact that Blizzard allowed KeSPA to build an entertainment empire on the backs of their hard work for free was a kindness. They did it because at the time, it was made sense and they didn't change it because there was no reason to. 

Just because Blizzard didn't tell KeSPA to license their game in the past (when they were using their game to make millions), doesn't mean Blizzard can't or shouldn't tell KeSPA to license their game this time around. 

Blizzard has done nothing wrong. In fact, the fact that they allowed KeSPA to use their game for free for 8 years is pretty fucking generous. KeSPA claiming they have have "right" to use Blizzard games to make money without having to pay any royalties or licensing fees to Blizzard is ridiculous.  

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gaff
    @ch13696: Well, their plan to turn Battle.net into an Xbox Live / Facebook of sorts (Facebook integration, RealID, etc), not to mention that achievement tracking requires an always-on internet connection to prevent cheating. Or that Blizzard or any other company can't be held accounted for each and every one of their consumers' problems (I'd have a word with Time Warner though), or that this has absolutely nothing with the KeSPA v Blizzzard conflict (Blizzard says the Earth is round, but I hate Blizzard so they must be wrong!). 

@JokerSmilez: But... But... I don't see FIFA paying the inventor of soccer, right? Pro sports isn't "owned" by anybody, so KeSPA's free to use Starcraft as they see fit. 

According to KeSPA, of course. 

Of course, I think the inventor of soccer has been dead long enough, let alone being completely lost to history, for it to fall into the public domain. And last time I checked, Chris Metzen, or at least Blizzard, is still alive.
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JDDrewes

Without Korea, BW would not be as big as it is now     
      KeSPA makes Starcraft popular during the early 2000s, Blizzard does nothing.     
      KeSPA is pissed because they made SC what it is today     
      it was the Korean companies that build up the BW community      
     Without Korea, BW wouldn't be what it is today.      

hey guess what? 
    without blizzard, none of this would've existed. it doesn't matter whether it "was helped to become popular in korea". blizzard did way more work than kespa and didn't get any royalties at all 
    also,

Blizzard could have easily jumped in during 2000-2007 and asked for royalties, but they didn't.    

you just said that because BW had LAN play, no one was required to pay blizzard. so no, blizzard couldn't have easily just taken money 5 years ago
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JDDrewes
    @ch13696 said:
    "I know for a fact that maybe once or twice a month my internet goes out for a good 6 or 7 hours due to something going wrong with Time Warner. During that downtime I would like to still play my games. "
    ummm, idk who told you this but you can play SC2 offline. it's like steam in that sort of way. where it's meant for online, and a lot of the features are for online, but you can totally play your games offline. you can play the campaign, challenges, custom maps, vs ai games, etc. 
    i mean let's face it here guys, nobody is upset over the lack of LAN play because you and a buddy both legally bought your own version of the game and you want to be able to play it without internet for some reason. 
    DrDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DrDoctor

Who cares? Just go play Starcraft.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Gaff said:
    " JokerSmilez: But... But... I don't see FIFA paying the inventor of soccer, right? Pro sports isn't "owned" by anybody, so KeSPA's free to use Starcraft as they see fit.  According to KeSPA, of course.  Of course, I think the inventor of soccer has been dead long enough, let alone being completely lost to history, for it to fall into the public domain. And last time I checked, Chris Metzen, or at least Blizzard, is still alive. "
    However FIFA does pay for the use of a product necessary to their "sport": soccer balls. They don't steal them, or use them for free. Even if Adidas provided them for free for use by FIFA, Adidas wouldn't be wrong for changing their mind and telling FIFA to pay for them or not be allowed to use them. 

And no, pro sports are not owned by anybody but Starcraft isn't a sport. Starcraft is a product that is used to play a sport ("e-sports"). KeSPA has never had the right to use Starcraft for their business. Blizzard however does have the right to allow them to use their product without asking for royalties, just as they have the right to change their mind and tell KeSPA they need to start paying for the right to use their product in the way that KeSPA wants to use it (as they are doing now). And just buying the retail game is not enough, just as buying a DVD does not give me the right to show the movie in a public forum and charge for it, which is essentially what KeSPA is doing. They are profiting from the use of Blizzard's product. It's KeSPA's fault for building a business around someone's else product. 

I would be just as stupid if I were to make a Star Wars movie on my own and not ask for permission or the license to do so first. I can't argue "well, you're getting marketing for your product, so you should allow me to make money off your product!" That's ridiculous. 

KeSPA has no leg to stand on.
    nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nohthink
    @Jazz said:
    " Wait...KeSPA made SC what it is today? While i don't deny they gave it publicity I think you'll find that Blizzard are the ones that made the game what it is today. With or without KeSPA it would still be an awesome game. Blizzard own the copyright, fair enough there is an area of discussion over whether they can enforce it after so long in regard to streaming events..but legally they have every right to attempt to enforce it.  If they find a way of using it to generate more income for themselves, tough luck.They are a company, their main focuses are providing the best experience possible and therefore generating the highest cash flow possible. Why is anyone surprised that they want to make as much money out of their product as possible? Are people that naive to think otherwise? "
    I agree with everything you said except for one thing. KeSPA did make SC what it is today. No doubt. You're right. With or without KeSPA, SC would still be an awesome game. But it would not have generated such enormous revenue out of it without KeSPA. In fact, I might even argue SC2 is the result of SC sensation that purely KeSPA generated. But that might be a stretch so don't quote me on that. The bottom line is that the whole SC sensation and E Sports thingy were heavily generated by KeSPA internationally and especially in Korea. Great game alone does not create trend. You gotta have sponsors and KeSPA was happy to do that. Of course, they did not have any rights to ignore SC copyright so that is purely their fault.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gaff
    @JokerSmilez: While I agree with you, I feel a sudden urge to correct the FIFA thing.

FIFA will probably never have to pay for their balls and Addidas will probably be very happy to pay FIFA to use their balls. Addidas could ask FIFA to pay for the balls, but then they would lose the lucrative use of "The Official World Cup Ball", available at authorized resellers, for a limited time only since they'll put out another, different ball in 4 years (or 2, if including the UEFA deal).

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ch13696
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    "I know for a fact that maybe once or twice a month my internet goes out for a good 6 or 7 hours due to something going wrong with Time Warner. During that downtime I would like to still play my games. "
    ummm, idk who told you this but you can play SC2 offline. it's like steam in that sort of way. where it's meant for online, and a lot of the features are for online, but you can totally play your games offline. you can play the campaign, challenges, custom maps, vs ai games, etc. i mean let's face it here guys, nobody is upset over the lack of LAN play because you and a buddy both legally bought your own version of the game and you want to be able to play it without internet for some reason.  "
    I heard that you need a constant internet connection from everyone here. Great. Now I'm gonna need some proof or I'm not buying it.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeust
    @Semition said:
    " @groin said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    It seems like you have indeed picked a side after I read the rest of this thread. This is obvious propaganda. "
    Doesn't seem like it to me. I think it's just there's a lot more people defending Blizzard in this thread so Kaos responds by criticizing Blizzard more. "
    I agree. He's balancing the scale. it's like those 1's and 2's reviews when everyone is giving 10's to a game. ^^
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By StaticFalconar

Starcraft 1 ain't Starcraft 2. If this Kespa fellow can't strike a deal with Blizzard then he should continue making money off SC1 instead. If Kespa was as big of a factor as people say he is, SC2 should fail without him. 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By animateria
    @JokerSmilez said:
    " The fact that Blizzard allowed KeSPA to build an entertainment empire on the backs of their hard work for free was a kindness. They did it because at the time, it was made sense and they didn't change it because there was no reason to.  Just because Blizzard didn't tell KeSPA to license their game in the past (when they were using their game to make millions), doesn't mean Blizzard can't or shouldn't tell KeSPA to license their game this time around.  Blizzard has done nothing wrong. In fact, the fact that they allowed KeSPA to use their game for free for 8 years is pretty fucking generous. KeSPA claiming they have have "right" to use Blizzard games to make money without having to pay any royalties or licensing fees to Blizzard is ridiculous.   "
    This right here. At the time it made sense for Blizzard not to touch KeSPA because it might have killed their fundings to build up Starcraft to it's level today.

However that doesn't mean that Blizzard can't bank in on their patience now that the whole thing has grown to massive scales.  Especially since there is a global competitive scene that isn't limited to just Korea. 

And let's not forget that KeSPA's growth relied on SC as well. Without the Blizzard product they wouldn't be what they are today either. One would think some royalties are due. 

@Jeust:

Now that's just silly. Giving 1s because there is a lot of 10s, that generally means that someone is trying to create controversy. 

I don't think that's why KaosAngel made this thread and is replying in such manner. 

He's got an opinion and he's just expressing it. (And yeah he is taking a side. Saying he isn't is a stretch.)
    Lordborg909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lordborg909

You mean to tell me a company is actually sicking up for a copyrighted property, and wants ROYALTIES??????? Off of something they CREATED??!?!?@?@>!??!>>??? How dare they! I mean, why should people that actually make the games we love profit from them????? One eyed much @Kaosangel. Troll for trollings sake sure, but at least put forward a cohesive argument..... You are fooling yourself if you think the video game industry is anything other than a money making scheme 

.... BAM! 

Lordborg909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lordborg909
    @Manhattan_Project said:
    " Its Blizzards game. Its as simple as that. They can do what they please. "
    Oh and THIS!!!
    hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hicks91

wah wah wah someone else makes a fantastic game and I want to make money off it AND THEY WONT LET ME WITHOUT SOME THERE WAY wah wah wah 
    fucking capitalists 
    ill make sc3 thatll teach them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By VWGTI

Blizzard has every right to do what they do. They are a business after all.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sixghost
    @nohthink said:
    " @Jazz said:
    " Wait...KeSPA made SC what it is today? While i don't deny they gave it publicity I think you'll find that Blizzard are the ones that made the game what it is today. With or without KeSPA it would still be an awesome game. Blizzard own the copyright, fair enough there is an area of discussion over whether they can enforce it after so long in regard to streaming events..but legally they have every right to attempt to enforce it.  If they find a way of using it to generate more income for themselves, tough luck.They are a company, their main focuses are providing the best experience possible and therefore generating the highest cash flow possible. Why is anyone surprised that they want to make as much money out of their product as possible? Are people that naive to think otherwise? "
    I agree with everything you said except for one thing. KeSPA did make SC what it is today. No doubt. You're right. With or without KeSPA, SC would still be an awesome game. But it would not have generated such enormous revenue out of it without KeSPA. In fact, I might even argue SC2 is the result of SC sensation that purely KeSPA generated. But that might be a stretch so don't quote me on that. The bottom line is that the whole SC sensation and E Sports thingy were heavily generated by KeSPA internationally and especially in Korea. Great game alone does not create trend. You gotta have sponsors and KeSPA was happy to do that. Of course, they did not have any rights to ignore SC copyright so that is purely their fault. "

I don't think you understand what KeSPA is. KeSPA doesn't broadcast the games, KeSPA doesn't pay the players. Literally the only thing KeSPA does is provide the refs and make the maps, and enforce/update the rules, all which could easily have been done without them. KeSPA could stop existing tomorrow and the korean BW scene would continue like nothing happened. The people who made BW what is it today are the players, the people behind OGN, MBCgame, and those who were hosting and broadcasting tournaments before that, and the sponsors. Without any of those 3 groups Korean BW wouldn't be possible, KeSPA isn't on that list.

Also, to all the people talking about how Blizzard is being greedy in this case, what does that make KeSPA? Blizzard got involved in this whole saga a couple years ago when KeSPA, out of the blue, claimed to own the rights to broadcast SC in Korea (by what logic, who knows). In fact, if you go do some reading about the whole ordeal on TL, you'll see that the entirety of pro BW in korea was on the verge of collapsing because KeSPA was demanding money for the rights to broadcast proleague games after 7 years of "allowing" the 2 game channels to broadcast the games for free. 
    It's actually fucking hilarious to see how similar the two situations are, yet now KeSPA tries to play the victim 3 years after they did the same exact thing.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Gaff said:
    " @JokerSmilez: While I agree with you, I feel a sudden urge to correct the FIFA thing.

FIFA will probably never have to pay for their balls and Addidas will probably be very happy to pay FIFA to use their balls. Addidas could ask FIFA to pay for the balls, but then they would lose the lucrative use of "The Official World Cup Ball", available at authorized resellers, for a limited time only since they'll put out another, different ball in 4 years (or 2, if including the UEFA deal).

"
    I suppose the FIFA example I used isn't a good one, because there is several competing companies that make identical products. But my point stands, KeSPA's business relies entirely on Blizzard's product. Blizzard has every right to charge a licensing fee or ask for royalties.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jeust
    @animateria:  

Now that's just silly. Giving 1s because there is a lot of 10s, that generally means that someone is trying to create controversy.  

I don't think that's why KaosAngel made this thread and is replying in such manner.  

He's got an opinion and he's just expressing it. (And yeah he is taking a side. Saying he isn't is a stretch.)     

Yep, there are those kinds of people, there also the ones that do it to even out, as many people aren't equally reasonable when giving straight 10's.  But in the they all serve to even out the balance.  

KaosAngel is equilibrating the scales in his positions.
    JusticeReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JusticeReturns

the korean esports leagues made starcraft the esport it is today, not blizzard.

I dont have any vested interest in kespa, but blizzards money grabbing really hurts the game as an esport and as a game.

No LAN is terrible for a pro scene, and no server switching also is.

how many times are you watching a video and a player has to use some borrowed account just to play in a tourny?

LAN is very important for pros. Cross country latency is absolutely shit, and it causes pros to play waaaaaay worse than their actual skill level.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.