Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Free 2 Play Old Republic Hits November 15th

• 74 results
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Funkydupe

We might not even be able to log on. There are less servers now than before, and subscribers will always be given priority.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Karkarov

@Kidavenger said:

I bought the game when they were selling it for $10 in the summer, still haven't installed it, I wanted to finish KotOR 2 before getting into this but I just haven't had the time, too many games too little time...

Edit: would there be any reason to register a paid copy before the switch over, I was kind of planning to play up to 50 for free then register and see if I could get through all the gated content within the free month.

No need, especially if you play on the sith side (and honestly Sith have the better storylines). The events of KoTOR 2 are barely touched on outside of a few bits and npc force ghosts here and there. All of that is almost exclusive to the Republic side as well. KoTOR 1 will get brought up plenty though. The Sith even have an entire quest chain devoted purely to a cult of Revan worshippers.

Also the servers are down for maintenance right now, no one can log in. Subscriber or otherwise. There are only 7 NA Region servers now though so yeah... expect em to be packed.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Nephrahim

@byterunner said:

i have a few alts that I would like to see the story with. I don't have much problem with all the restrictions since almost all of it is end game post leveling things that, while I don't mind doing, is something I don't need. The only issue I have with the game is that they've locked Sprint. Seriously, its almost impossible to play that game without Sprint.

And being able to corpse rez, surely. Between the two of these any interest I had in re-upping to finish my character stories died.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By devilzrule27

I'm pretty sure they unlocked sprint after the outrage.

anyway the game is live.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Anyone played the free version? How much do you feel the cut of content? 

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By devilzrule27

@The_Laughing_Man said:

It just went live but from the look of things if your a story line player only most of the restrictions are cosmetic. Serious MMOers probably won't like the restrictions. The thing I dislike the most is that I can't purchase more character slots. Or at least I can't find it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @devilzrule27 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

It just went live but from the look of things if your a story line player only most of the restrictions are cosmetic. Serious MMOers probably won't like the restrictions. The thing I dislike the most is that I can't purchase more character slots. Or at least I can't find it.

What bout PVP and instances/flashpoints 
    devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By devilzrule27

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@devilzrule27 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

What bout PVP and instances/flashpoints

Those have been cut extensively for free players. I don't mind though since I never cared about them.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By FilipHolm

What happens to Kessler Run? I've been playing since launch and it'll be great to play with some of you again :)

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By donchipotle

I have been subbed since launch. Largely because of the guild I am in. Time to use those cartel coins.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Funkydupe

A lot of activity in the starter areas at least.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Mystyr_E

the restrictions for non-subscribers is way too ridiculous

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By GERALTITUDE

What are the restrictions? Amazing name by the by

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Mystyr_E

@GERALTITUDE said:

What are the restrictions? Amazing name by the by

Restrictions:

only 2 quickbars. Need to purchase more...for each character or buy them in a bundle for everyone

2 character slots, 3 races with the others needing to be purchased

Do not gain rested experience from taverns/inns

Items in vendors are a little bit more expensive for non-subscribers

No access to cargo holds and must individually purchase additional "bags"

No guild bank

Can't customize your companion's appearance

Only allowed 5 warzones (PVP) flashpoints (dungeons) and space missions a week with purchasable weekly pass.

No access to operations (raids)

Can't equip certain purple level gear

F2P'ers (different than preferred) can only send one chat message a minute

F2P'ers only get one crew skill (professions) with others needing to be purchased

sounds exciting, no?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@Mystyr_E: Hmmmmm. I was a little bummed when the site said down for maintenance, but now I don't know what I feel.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Wampa1

What's the equivalent amount I need to spend in pounds to get the "preferred" status?

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By devilzrule27

@Wampa1 said:

What's the equivalent amount I need to spend in pounds to get the "preferred" status?

It's 5 US dollars so knowing gaming companies its probably 5 pounds as well, exchange rates be damned.

Also the restrictions aren't that bad if you're just looking to play the story. A lot of the restrictions are cosmetic and also since they limit operations and raids the equipment restrictions aren't really a big deal either. And dropping 5 bucks on something unlocks the preferred status which eases some of the silly restrictions like chat and sprint(level 1 instead of 15).

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Mystyr_E:

With that list in mind, it hardly feels like a game that is free to play - with capitalization on the word "play". Makes it feel like a broken cashgrab instead.

I'll wait until it adapts a proper F2P model until I reactivate my account.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#70  Edited By Marz

I think if you were gonna play it for the single player story, it's a good deal (although two characters per account, so you might have to make multiple accounts to play all classes). If you wanted to play it for the MMO aspects then.... there is a shit ton behind the paywall to get that kind of experience and your just better off subscribing.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By FilipHolm

@Marz said:

I think if you were gonna play it for the single player story, it's a good deal (although two characters per account, so you might have to make multiple accounts to play all classes). If you wanted to play it for the MMO aspects then.... there is a shit ton behind the paywall to get that kind of experience and your just better off subscribing.

I get some of the limitations and such, but only two characters per account is just stupid...

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By Marz

@FilipHolm said:

@Marz said:

I get some of the limitations and such, but only two characters per account is just stupid...

I assume they will add character slot unlocks later on to buy with cartel coins, but there is no option right now in the cartel coin shop.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Funkydupe

2 character per account is very restrictive. It used to be a per server system. I guess that didn't work.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By jakob187

Sounds like F2P TOR is not that great. Very sad to hear that. Still going to reactivate and check it out.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By devilzrule27

@Marz said:

@FilipHolm said:

@Marz said:

I assume they will add character slot unlocks later on to buy with cartel coins, but there is no option right now in the cartel coin shop.

To me thats the worst thing. It would be the perfect thing for people to spend 5 bucks on and unlock the preferred status tier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.