Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spore

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2008

Simulate the development and progression of an alien species as it evolves from a single-celled organism to a sapient level, rises up through various stages of civilization, and eventually becomes a space-faring species.

Good news on the Spore DRM fiasco!

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Colonel_Cool

Finally, EA has listened to all of the complaints and is being reasonable now. Apparently, they are upping the amount of activations to 5 and are developing some sort of method to de-activate their games on computers you have them installed on. Woohoo!

Source

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Maru

hmm.. I might pick it up later when the price drops.. doesn't really interest me much... I already got too many games to play and not enough time :).

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Relys

I WANT A REMOVAL, NOT A REVISION YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Hamz

I have to say the DRM fiasco with Spore should of hinted to EA that no, we the customer, do not approve of their somewhat underhanded and rude choice to include DRM and assume all gamers are illegally downloading PC games.

If EA weren't so money hungry, and lets face it they are, they would realise that by promoting more of their games through Steam would perhaps help their public image amongst PC gamers aswell as decrease the amount of piracy they believe is hurting their sales.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DXSSI

Good, but not good enough.

I will continue to pretend that ***** doesn't exist.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By zeus_gb

DRM is a necessary evil but when it stops legit customers like myself playing a game is infuriates me.  I do not want to have to justify my install habits to a EA tech rep on the phone, especially while there charging me a fortune for the call.  It is my game, I brought it and as long as I don't distribute it to anyone then i'll do what I like with it.

The deactivation tool should have been made available from day one, commercial software has it so why not games.  They should also make a deactivate tool for their other games as well such as Mass Effect and the forthcoming Red Alert 3.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By DeadlyPain
    DXSSI said:
    "Good, but not good enough.

I will continue to pretend that ***** doesn't exist."
    not good enough?
    try uninstalling your games in the future before you pull of a reformat :P - you backup your files, see the limit as...backing up....
    its a start to combatting piracy, it might not have worked fully but its a start at least :D

DRM might not be the way to go, but through trial and error we'll find a way around piracy soon ;)
    DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By DeadlyPain
    zeus_gb said:
    "DRM is a necessary evil but when it stops legit customers like myself playing a game is infuriates me.  I do not want to have to justify my install habits to a EA tech rep on the phone, especially while there charging me a fortune for the call.  It is my game, I brought it and as long as I don't distribute it to anyone then i'll do what I like with it.

The deactivation tool should have been made available from day one, commercial software has it so why not games.  They should also make a deactivate tool for their other games as well such as Mass Effect and the forthcoming Red Alert 3."

You don't own the game, wtf?
    You bought rights to play it ¬_¬

i can see the anger, we all can, but howmany years was put into making this game again?
    EA made the choice because they don't wanna see maxis get owned by piracy.....however like people have been posting its clearly backfired on them

Piracy sucks.....i hope its delt with soon, DRM might not be the way to go, but its a start.....
    lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By lazyturtle

I really don't see how the copy-protection is stopping anyone from playing the game. This sort of limit also (by the way) has also applied to music purchased on itunes, yet I've never heard any uproar about that.

I see nothing wrong with a company wanting to make gobs of money by providing something that people want and protecting their investment. EA's goal is to make money, and they just happen to do that by making games. Making phat loot is the sole goal of EA and there's nothing wrong with that (since we can't all get rich by smashing chests and killing monsters). 
    I'm not saying that drm is the the right way to go, but they have to at least try something (since they have a responsibility to the shareholders of the company). If what they try doesn't work, they need a new scheme. I remember getting games on my C64 (yea..that long ago) where you were asked to go to page 4 of the manuel and read the 3rd line of the 2nd paragraph. What did we do? we photocopied the book. Then you had to put a CD in the drive...what did we do? Made mirrors. It's a neverending battle becuase of the general lack of respect for intellectual and physical property that exists in humanity.
    zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By zeus_gb
    lazyturtle said:
    "I really don't see how the copy-protection is stopping anyone from playing the game. This sort of limit also (by the way) has also applied to music purchased on itunes, yet I've never heard any uproar about that.
     I see nothing wrong with a company wanting to make gobs of money by providing something that people want and protecting their investment. EA's goal is to make money, and they just happen to do that by making games. Making phat loot is the sole goal of EA and there's nothing wrong with that (since we can't all get rich by smashing chests and killing monsters). 
    I'm not saying that drm is the the right way to go, but they have to at least try something (since they have a responsibility to the shareholders of the company). If what they try doesn't work, they need a new scheme. I remember getting games on my C64 (yea..that long ago) where you were asked to go to page 4 of the manuel and read the 3rd line of the 2nd paragraph. What did we do? we photocopied the book. Then you had to put a CD in the drive...what did we do? Made mirrors. It's a neverending battle becuase of the general lack of respect for intellectual and physical property that exists in humanity.
    "
    I can't say much about Itunes because I don't use it and I wouldn't use it because of their DRM.

I can understand why EA thinks DRM is necessary but what I don't like about it is when it stops me from playing the game I legally purchased.  I don't mind if EA makes a bucket load of money by let's face it releasing the same old **** but I do mind when it's at the my expense. 
    Their whole attitude towards PC gamers sucks, I don't license or rent my game from EA, I brought it, it's mine. 
    I don't install any game onto several PCs at once, I will make sure it's installed on one only, when I get a new computer it will be uninstall and then installed on the new PC.  EAs current SecureROM DRM allows you to activate it but not deactivate it once you've uninstalled it, commerical software has this function so why not games.  If the hard drive where it's installed dies then I have to reactivate it, if I get a new PC I need to reactivate it, based on that 3 and now 5 activations is going to run out quite quickly for some people.  When at the end of the activations i'd have to ring EA tech support and justify my install habits to a rep all the while being charged for the phone call.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I see no problem with the DRM but! its how they implimented it is the problem, the 5 activations and abbility to remove it from a computer and thus adding that activation back is a great great great thing and is how DRM should be.

previous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By previous

This sounds like what Itunes does with its DRM'd music, at least its an improvement.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By lazyturtle

I think the thing to do here is to vote with your $. If you don't like something about a product, don't buy it. Then take it a step further, contact the company and tell them why you aren't buying it. They won't care about a single sale lost, but as those sales count up they'll pay attention. Try this: make up a petition and convince retailers (or stand outside the store) to get people to sign. Collect a bunch of signatures (like 20-40k) and send a copy of them to the company. Send them to ALL major game companies. Let them know that you don't like DRM or how it's managed.  If enough people do this, the system will change. I'm not saying that the system will change to something better for the consumer, but it will change.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.