Is Space Harrier A Relic Of Its Time?

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I'm asking because I played it on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and I think it's okay, but nothing special. Its technological impact and resulting effect on games are worthy of note, but I just didn't enjoy playing it very much. I don't think it would be drastically dated between now and its appearance in Shenmue, so those memories seem valid to me if you have them.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Isn't that the Master System version on that collection? I think the Arcade/Mega Drive versions of that game hold up pretty well. That 3DS version is great. I prefer After Burner though.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By Little_Socrates

@gunstarred: It's based on the Arcade version, at least.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I've never liked Space Harrier, even when it was new.

What was mainly cool about it at the time it came out was the scrolling background and fighting a space dragon but I always thought the game play was just awful. I've never been a fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When I was younger, my friends and I would play Space Harrier (and the other arcade games) in Shenmue all the time. I'm sure I wouldn't care for it much if I played it today, but back then it was so much fun taking turns playing it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Unfortunately, no one can actually prove the existence of Nostalgia or Real Classic Design so this question is impossible to answer.

Any game could or could not be a relic of its time. The best you can do is gauge popular opinion. Sorry if that's a bit lame!

For me, I kinda hated Space Harrier originally (about 5 years ago, so not during original release), but then I played it again last year and had quite a lot of fun, sooo yeah, that's me.

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By PoorTommy

Space Harrier is a Buckaroo Banzai simulator in a rotoscoped checker-planed Fist of the North Star dystopia overrun by barreling Easter Island Heads and icosahedrons; Space Harrier has always been one crazy-looking relic, but that aspect is also the reason for its enduring legacy. And with level names like "Olisis" and "Drail," how can anyone deny its bizarre charm?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

I dunno, it looks kinda rad. I'd have probably been into it if I came across it as a kid, and I kinda want to play it right now lookin at these videos and screenshots.

ElectricViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Space Harrier is my favorite arcade game and I've never even seen it in the wild. I bought a 3DS to play 3D Space Harrier, plus whatever else Nintendo decides to publish on it. "Welcome to the Fantasy Zone, get ready!" should be as ubiquitous a phrase as "The cake is a lie." Space Harrier 4 Lyfe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.