Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

Stick of Truth needs to sell 2 million units to break even.

• 80 results
    SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SagaciousJones

Mentioned in this article about THQ:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172036/THQ_sold_UFC_license_after_failing_to_break_even_on_it.php

THQ will focus now on breaking even on a title-by-title basis by releasing low-cost triple-A titles, such as Obsidian Entertainment's South Park: The Stick of Truth, which will release next March.

South Park requires a relatively smaller investment than other titles due to its simple animation. That project's break-even point is also 2 million units, though the publisher believes it can sell well above that, THQ told Pachter.

A "smaller investment," they say. Do they want another Kingdoms of Amalur?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TentPole

It will sell more than that even if the game sucks. Make a good game and it will be even easier.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

dude. It's fucking South Park. All they need to do is pitch the game during an episode of South Park on Comedy Central and it'll sell that easily.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Toxeia

@SagaciousJones: Didn't Amalur have to move something like 3.5 million units to break even? They only hit 1.7 iirc, with an unknown I.P. and as an RPG shortly after Skyrim had come out. South Park's much better known, and the biggest problem I see is the poor showing of South Park games in the past.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@SagaciousJones said:

Do they want another Kingdoms of Amalur?

Of course not- don't be silly. :P

There is one key difference that will most likely prevent this from being another Amalur: the fact that Stick of Truth has the weight of an actual well known (VERY well known) IP backing it up- whereas Amalur didn't.

Odds are it'll be just fine- as it's most likely going to sell a lot more than Amalur ever did.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By iamjohn

No pressure, guys!

Seriously though, if 2 million is your break-even point, you must be doing something seriously fucking wrong.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi

I dont see this being too big a deal. Comedy central plugs the game during nee episodes of south park and profits. I don't see how this can potentially fail.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By endaround

@iAmJohn said:

No pressure, guys!

Seriously though, if 2 million is your break-even point, you must be doing something seriously fucking wrong.

Not if the license holder get a big chunk off the top.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Demoskinos said:

I dont see this being too big a deal. Comedy central plugs the game during nee episodes of south park and profits. I don't see how this can potentially fail.

What if instead of that they make a whole episode of South Park using the game tech somehow... Like a 24 minute game trailer or something. Crazy, I know. But that would be cool, no?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iamjohn

@Demoskinos said:

Licensed games have really struggled this gen with a couple exceptions. This is definitely not a sure thing, especially considering the show's ratings nowadays; if they need to sell two million to break even, that would mean selling to nearly everyone who still watch the new episodes when they air (the show's generally been doing 2.5 million viewers on average per week all season).

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By spiceninja

I think it'll do just fine.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@pyromagnestir said:

@Demoskinos said:

What if instead of that they make a whole episode of South Park using the game tech somehow... Like a 24 minute game trailer or something. Crazy, I know. But that would be cool, no?

It would be cool, except nobody would be able to tell the difference from the game or the show, considering they've spent a lot of time making sure the game looks 1:1 with the show.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By FLStyle

Yeah I'm confident that with the right marketing this game will be fine.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SagaciousJones

For perspective, Mass Effect 3, with all of its critical acclaim, passionate fanbase, gigantic EA marketing, and IP sequel status, has only sold somewhere between 2 and 3 million copies.

Anyone know how well Tenorman's Revenge sold? I'd like to know if the South Park name has as much weight as people are saying it does.

Don't get me wrong, I honestly hope this goes well. Obsidian and THQ could both really use a victory.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By Danteveli

I dont think South Park is popular enough to carry 2 million sold. They can hope the quality be there. I'm interested in the product but I wont buy it blindly.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder
    pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Oldirtybearon: Yeah. That's true. Maybe they could do something smaller, like make an episode normally, but include some gameplay features like the combat or whatever in the of the episode somehow. Again, that's not going to happen. It's really a crazy pipe dream that the show turned video game would then take the video game and turn it into an episode of the show (and while they do this they'd most likely be making fun of marketing, somehow.) And if anyone would be crazy enough to try this, it would be these guys. And I'd want to see them try it.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

This game will be all over Comedy Central. Does anyone know what kind of combat it has? Is it like Diablo or Final Fantasy

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iamjohn

@SagaciousJones said:

Anyone know how well Tenorman's Revenge sold? I'd like to know if the South Park name has as much weight as people are saying it does.

According to the latest entry in Gamasutra's series on tracking sales data through leaderboard entries, Tenorman's Revenge was at around 40,000 sales by the end of April.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

This game will be all over Comedy Central. Does anyone know what kind of combat it has? Is it like Diablo or Final Fantasy

It's supposed to be like Paper Mario, actually.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TentPole

@iAmJohn said:

@SagaciousJones said:

According to the latest entry in Gamasutra's series on tracking sales data through leaderboard entries, Tenorman's Revenge was at around 40,000 sales by the end of April.

That has about zero relevance to this game, fellow South Park game or no.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Tenorman's Revenge was an XBLA game that was barely advertised, even on the internet. The few people I saw talking about it were just warning others to stay well away.

The fact Stick of Truth is a retail game will instantly give it much bigger sales. Decent advertising and/or good reviews will easily help shift it too, I don't think they have anything to worry about.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By shadows_kill

Depending that I've enjoyed most of Obsidean's games this gen and the fact South Park I feel is a big name. They could also to a episode on it and constant ads on Comedy Central. I feel like this could sell more than 2 million (which I know is tough to do).

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaggE

If it's as good as it looks, I'm rooting for them to break well past 2 mil.

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mutley

I think it can do that is due to how popular south park is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Well I'm buying.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iamjohn

@TentPole said:

@iAmJohn said:

@SagaciousJones said:

That has about zero relevance to this game, fellow South Park game or no.

Well for one, I never said it was relevant. The dude asked, I looked it up because I wanted to know myself. But for two, it may not be super indicative of Stick of Truth's chances, but it does speak to a concern that the show might no longer be strong enough to support two million sales of an RPG, especially considering South Park's ratings as of late (read: a bit north of two million viewers per week) and how well the vast majority of licensed games have done this generation (read: not very well). Let me put it this way:

@WinterSnowblind said:

Tenorman's Revenge was an XBLA game that was barely advertised, even on the internet.

This is simply not true. Comedy Central gave the game a pretty significant push with their own self-produced commercials for a couple weeks around the release during all the shows that matter (read: South Park, Daily Show and whatnot). It wasn't huge, sure, but it's bigger than a lot of downloadable titles get. And yeah, it being a notably shitty game probably has something to do with that, but Let's Go Tower Defense Play did much better than this and is arguably in a genre that is much harder to sell to people. Stick of Truth might be more marketable by virtue of being a retail product, but it also runs into a similar problem of needing to sell a game that is essentially an advertisement for a television show in places other than where you would find said television show.

The game looks fantastic, but I don't think success is guaranteed.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cloudenvy

I think it'll do well, I actually think it'll do really well! However, 2 million is a lot and I don't think this is a surefire multimillion success.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a lot, I might be underestimating South Park's popularity though.

If ME3 really did sell between 2 and 3 million than I'd bet there's zero chance this is breaking even.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@addictedtopinescent said:

That's a lot, I might be underestimating South Park's popularity though.

If ME3 really did sell between 2 and 3 million than I'd bet there's zero chance this is breaking even.

Mass Effect, despite being (in my opinion) the best game series/trilogy/whatever to come out for this generation of consoles, never sold Skyrim or Rockstar numbers. We could argue day and night as to why, but the fact is Mass Effect was never the populist blockbuster EA hoped it would be. It's a very special series, yes, but it's not a blockbuster.

Same goes for Uncharted. Despite everyone on the Internet loving that series to bits, it never moved that many units. Reasons again, we could argue night and day, but the fact is it never sold the numbers you'd think it did by Sony's endorsement of the brand.

South Park is a cultural phenom. It's almost occupying the same spot in pop culture that The Simpsons does. All they need to do is leverage that popularity and translate it into sales. It won't be that hard if Obsidian makes a good game. Something they've yet to do this gen.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60

If it turns out to be as good as it looks, I can see it getting at least that. It seems to be the first South Park game that actually looks like the show.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Dagbiker

I know it isnt just me, but I hate all South Park everything.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CL60

@Oldirtybearon said:

It won't be that hard if Obsidian makes a good game. Something they've yet to do this gen.

Uhh. New Vegas?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iamjohn

@CL60 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

It won't be that hard if Obsidian makes a good game. Something they've yet to do this gen.

Uhh. New Vegas?

It was certainly kinda fucked, but I'd also throw Alpha Protocol in there too.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Tylea002

If they allow Obsidian to make a brilliant old-school RPG and Matt and Trey to write a brilliant script, this game should sell enough - because this is really the first South Park "thing" since the movie, that isn't the show, that seems to be on that level of production and excitement and creator involvement and so long as they've given Obsidian the creativity in the RPG systems and a decent QA budget, this game will be brilliant.

I'd say it's my most anticipated. I hope it's good, and if it is, there's no reason it won't sell.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TentPole

@Dagbiker said:

I know it isnt just me, but I hate all South Park everything.

You either judge things by their cover or have shitty taste. Because if you don't like something I like, then there must be something wrong with you.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@iAmJohn said:

@CL60 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Uhh. New Vegas?

Both games were buggy, barely functional, and despite that decent time sinks. I say decent, because despite the flaws, a decent time can still be had with either of those games.

Obsidian's strength lies in their writing team. They're consistently some of the best writers around, but the gameplay for their games is almost always an utter chore to sit through. New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3... all of those games were practically broken from a gameplay standpoint and, in DS3 and AP's case, remain so to this day.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Hunter5024

@iAmJohn said:

@Demoskinos said:

Licensed games have really struggled this gen with a couple exceptions. This is definitely not a sure thing, especially considering the show's ratings nowadays; if they need to sell two million to break even, that would mean selling to nearly everyone who still watch the new episodes when they air (the show's generally been doing 2.5 million viewers on average per week all season).

But do those numbers include online views and such? I dont know anyone who actually tunes into comedy central when the new episodes air because they always post them online the next day, and rerun the same episode a week later. South Park has always had a really large internet following, so I'm not sure that 2.5 million encompasses their entire viewership.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AngelN7

I just want this game to be turn base old school RPG ... but that doesn't sell gangbusters.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iamjohn

@Hunter5024 said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Demoskinos said:

But do those numbers include online views and such? I dont know anyone who actually tunes into comedy central when the new episodes air because they always post them online the next day, and rerun the same episode a week later. South Park has always had a really large internet following, so I'm not sure that 2.5 million encompasses their entire viewership.

That's a good point, I completely forgot about South Park Studios.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tylea002

@Oldirtybearon said:

@iAmJohn said:

@CL60 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Uhh. New Vegas?

Both games were buggy, barely functional, and despite that decent time sinks. I say decent, because despite the flaws, a decent time can still be had with either of those games.

Obsidian's strength lies in their writing team. They're consistently some of the best writers around, but the gameplay for their games is almost always an utter chore to sit through. New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3... all of those games were practically broken from a gameplay standpoint and, in DS3 and AP's case, remain so to this day.

I'm a little bit into both NV and Alpha Protocol, and it does not have broken gameplay. AP has odd gameplay, but not broken. The odd gameplay actually forces me to use stealth in ways I hadn't considered - it's very gamey, and it's very dice-rolly but, it's not broken. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Hunter5024 said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Demoskinos said:

Bingo. Hell, most TV shows have bigger followings than Nielsen ratings can account for. Whether that's through legal streaming, illegal streaming, torrents, weird people who wait for DVD/BR collections of a season, whatever.

Until they can factor in those methods of viewing, we're not going to see an accurate take of just who is watching what, ever.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CheapPoison

That is quite a lot, but not in the realm of impossible ...

I will support them if it turn out decent i still love south park.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Tylea002 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@iAmJohn said:

@CL60 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Uhh. New Vegas?

I'm a little bit into both NV and Alpha Protocol, and it does not have broken gameplay. AP has odd gameplay, but not broken. The odd gameplay actually forces me to use stealth in ways I hadn't considered - it's very gamey, and it's very dice-rolly but, it's not broken. I'm really enjoying it so far.

when an RPG offers many, many paths and methods of play and only one is actually viable to complete the game, I'll go ahead and call that pretty damn broken.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tylea002

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Tylea002 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@iAmJohn said:

@CL60 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Uhh. New Vegas?

when an RPG offers many, many paths and methods of play and only one is actually viable to complete the game, I'll go ahead and call that pretty damn broken.

I haven't at all run into that yet - Alpha Protocol so far has been a challenging RPG with a great story and the best dialogue system I've seen in a game. Flawed, obviously. But broken it is clearly not.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By laserbolts

I would be really surprised if the don't hit the 2 million mark even though south park is shit these days.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By avidwriter

What were they thinking?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I hope they make a profit, and I think South Park is big enough that they will.

About the viewers of the show, 2.5 is only Comedy Central, you have to count things like South Park Studios, overseas viewers and people who torrent the show.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By AhmadMetallic

They'll be getting a sale from me. I've loved those boys for years, the trailer looked so funny and promising!

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DeF

I'll buy one.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By CenturionCajun

Just to throw my two cents in Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning didn't fail. 1.7 million is pretty good for an unknown franchise. Like was said on the Bombcast EA was ready to sign for Reckoning 2. What failed was 38 Studios finances. They were spending millions a month on an MMO they never showed to anyone.

As for the South Park RPG if it's good I'll definately get it. I don't watch the show much these days but I have enough fond memories that I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. The only real concern is THQs finances failing before its release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.