Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

Sonic Unleashed Review

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlazeHedgehog

And, at a little over 2000 words, my review for our site is done. It's a little bit heftier than I'd like, but I wasn't consciously trying to be verbose or anything. I checked other review lengths, and while most of them were in the 1000-1500 words range, there were a couple at 2000, so I think I'm in the clear.

A sample of the review:

Or was this simply my bias towards the Sonic franchise speaking? When faced with the prospect of a game that might be better than one of the worst games of 2006, would I over-exaggerate the quality of the game simply because it was not total garbage? As the game’s release date drew near, my expectations for the game were all over the map. Depending on what day of the week you would ask me, Sonic Unleashed was either going to be really awesome or just another in a long line of embarrassments.

I can now say that Sonic Unleashed on the Xbox 360 is probably the best 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game we’ve had since the era of the Sega Dreamcast.

The game is split in to three distinct portions: Daytime gameplay as regular Sonic, Nighttime gameplay as the Werehog, and visiting various towns located in continents across the world. Daytime levels are predictably fast, with Sonic the Hedgehog reaching speeds of nearly 300 miles-per-hour. These levels are an absolute blast to play, with plenty of detours and shortcuts to encourage replaying in order to find that “perfect route” leading to the ever-elusive S Rank. To help you achieve this, the game’s controls have been redesigned with Sonic’s extreme speed in mind: At faster speeds, Sonic’s controls gradually smooth out, avoiding the twitchy analog stick sensitivity of Sonic 2006 or Sonic Adventure 2. Should you need to dodge oncoming obstacles a little bit faster, Sonic has been equipped with a brand-new “Quick Step” ability that allows you to easily strafe around hazards. Rather than try to group the rest of Sonic’s moves around the two face buttons, Sonic Unleashed marks the first 3D Sonic game to use all four face buttons. Functions are grouped naturally - for example, “downward” actions like sliding, stomping and crouching are bound to the B button, while “boost” actions such as the homing attack and Sonic Boost are on the X button. For fans of the previous games, adjusting to the new button structure can take some time, but eventually it all clicks. In the original Sonic Rush (and the Sonic Advance games), a great deal of frustration arose out of going too fast to avoid an obstacle or a pitfall, resulting in numerous cheap deaths. Sonic Unleashed makes an effort to correct this by flat out telling you what buttons you need to push at certain points in the level. It’s a little bit cheese-ball, and there were times where I found these button prompts lingered on screen a little bit too long and managed to cover up the action. Though they do get less frequent as the game progresses, they never quite vanish entirely and the game has no option to turn them off.

What did I have to say about the Werehog? Read on to find out.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

And, at a little over 2000 words, my review for our site is done. It's a little bit heftier than I'd like, but I wasn't consciously trying to be verbose or anything. I checked other review lengths, and while most of them were in the 1000-1500 words range, there were a couple at 2000, so I think I'm in the clear.

A sample of the review:

Or was this simply my bias towards the Sonic franchise speaking? When faced with the prospect of a game that might be better than one of the worst games of 2006, would I over-exaggerate the quality of the game simply because it was not total garbage? As the game’s release date drew near, my expectations for the game were all over the map. Depending on what day of the week you would ask me, Sonic Unleashed was either going to be really awesome or just another in a long line of embarrassments.

I can now say that Sonic Unleashed on the Xbox 360 is probably the best 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game we’ve had since the era of the Sega Dreamcast.

The game is split in to three distinct portions: Daytime gameplay as regular Sonic, Nighttime gameplay as the Werehog, and visiting various towns located in continents across the world. Daytime levels are predictably fast, with Sonic the Hedgehog reaching speeds of nearly 300 miles-per-hour. These levels are an absolute blast to play, with plenty of detours and shortcuts to encourage replaying in order to find that “perfect route” leading to the ever-elusive S Rank. To help you achieve this, the game’s controls have been redesigned with Sonic’s extreme speed in mind: At faster speeds, Sonic’s controls gradually smooth out, avoiding the twitchy analog stick sensitivity of Sonic 2006 or Sonic Adventure 2. Should you need to dodge oncoming obstacles a little bit faster, Sonic has been equipped with a brand-new “Quick Step” ability that allows you to easily strafe around hazards. Rather than try to group the rest of Sonic’s moves around the two face buttons, Sonic Unleashed marks the first 3D Sonic game to use all four face buttons. Functions are grouped naturally - for example, “downward” actions like sliding, stomping and crouching are bound to the B button, while “boost” actions such as the homing attack and Sonic Boost are on the X button. For fans of the previous games, adjusting to the new button structure can take some time, but eventually it all clicks. In the original Sonic Rush (and the Sonic Advance games), a great deal of frustration arose out of going too fast to avoid an obstacle or a pitfall, resulting in numerous cheap deaths. Sonic Unleashed makes an effort to correct this by flat out telling you what buttons you need to push at certain points in the level. It’s a little bit cheese-ball, and there were times where I found these button prompts lingered on screen a little bit too long and managed to cover up the action. Though they do get less frequent as the game progresses, they never quite vanish entirely and the game has no option to turn them off.

What did I have to say about the Werehog? Read on to find out.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

Your review is very good and different from other sites. You did give me a different perspective on it's problems.

EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EleFlameMax

I think it's important for game reviews to not only inform, but also to serve as prose. This fits the bill.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By SpinCookie

Love your review.  I read it yesterday and it pushed me over the edge to go pick up the game.  I played it all night and am actually liking it a lot.  Yeah the night time levels aren't nearly as good as the day ones, but they aren't awful by any means.  My one complaint is that the night time levels don't look as good as the gorgeous day time levels.  The day time ones look absolutely phenomenal, the night ones are ok, but feel muted in comparison.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By JonathanMoore

Loved the review man, I have both versions of this game and I can tell you now, the Wii Version is better though... Ive played the Xbox version a lot and man, are the Werehog levels boring as hell...

Anyway, loved it, keep up the good work.

-- God Bless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.