Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

Sonic Unleashed DLC Reviews

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlazeHedgehog

(Thanks to Luchadeer eating the last one, I guess I have to re-write all of this...)

So after I basically got hired to write reviews for TSSZnews.com, I told you guys I'd give you a heads up for every review I wrote for them. I guess these count - I've been tasked with doing write-ups for the Sonic Unleashed DLC packs that have been coming out every two weeks. It started with me just doing text reviews for the Chun-nan Adventure Pack, but as of the Spagonia Adventure Pack and the released-just-this-morning Holoska Adventure Pack, I've been capturing video of all the levels released with the DLC to post simultaneously with my review. For as long as I can afford the 250 microsoft points to buy Sonic Unleashed DLC, I'll be posting reviews like this every two weeks, so be on the look out for that. For the sake of convenience, I will just embed the videos I did for the Holoska Adventure Pack:

I've also been re-posting some of my older reviews here. Even if you already read them back on Gamespot all those years ago, I've re-written most of them so in a way, it's sort of like reading a brand-new review all over again.
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

(Thanks to Luchadeer eating the last one, I guess I have to re-write all of this...)

So after I basically got hired to write reviews for TSSZnews.com, I told you guys I'd give you a heads up for every review I wrote for them. I guess these count - I've been tasked with doing write-ups for the Sonic Unleashed DLC packs that have been coming out every two weeks. It started with me just doing text reviews for the Chun-nan Adventure Pack, but as of the Spagonia Adventure Pack and the released-just-this-morning Holoska Adventure Pack, I've been capturing video of all the levels released with the DLC to post simultaneously with my review. For as long as I can afford the 250 microsoft points to buy Sonic Unleashed DLC, I'll be posting reviews like this every two weeks, so be on the look out for that. For the sake of convenience, I will just embed the videos I did for the Holoska Adventure Pack:

I've also been re-posting some of my older reviews here. Even if you already read them back on Gamespot all those years ago, I've re-written most of them so in a way, it's sort of like reading a brand-new review all over again.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I'm still stuck on the line to pick up this game or not.  I know that the game does have its down sides but, it is a much improved game over SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.  I know that the game is only $30 right now at GameStop's GameDays sale.  I've picked up Sonic Rush Adventure about a week ago and been having fun with it.  Maybe I should just try to get Sonic Unleashed for under $20 on eBay.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I play the PS2 version and I actually had some fun with game. I also heard that the Wii & PS2 version was actually better than 360 & PS3 version.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iamjohn

There's Sonic Unleashed DLC?  Does it make the game, uh, good?

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    Kou_Leifoh said:
    "I play the PS2 version and I actually had some fun with game. I also heard that the Wii & PS2 version was actually better than 360 & PS3 version."
    A lot of reviewers have said that. I haven't played the Wii/PS2 version myself, but I have friends who own it and I've watched some video of it on Youtube and as far as I've been able to tell it's actually worse. Most of the people I know who have played both versions don't understand why so many reviewers were so hard on the 360/PS3 versions of the game but not the Wii/PS2 versions.

iAmJohn said:
    "There's Sonic Unleashed DLC?  Does it make the game, uh, good?"

Hurrr hurr.

In all seriousness, though, for you? Probably not. If you had read the reviews I had linked, you would realize that the DLC is basically a "Hard Mode" for the game. Not all the levels are hard, mind you, but in general, they are more challenging than the main game is. But that only applies for daytime stages - Werehog levels are actually a lot better than they were in the normal game. They're shorter and emphasize the Werehog's strengths a bit better than the original levels.

But yeah. Unless you think Sonic Unleashed needs to be harder, chances are you are not going to like the DLC levels. There's plenty of video you can watch to see for yourself.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By JonathanMoore
    BlazeHedgehog said:
    A lot of reviewers have said that. I haven't played the Wii/PS2 version myself, but I have friends who own it and I've watched some video of it on Youtube and as far as I've been able to tell it's actually worse. Most of the people I know who have played both versions don't understand why so many reviewers were so hard on the 360/PS3 versions of the game but not the Wii/PS2 versions.
    Its because the daytime stages in Sonic Unleashed for the Wii are much better designed, even if they are more spaced out with less enemies. The XBox version (even the daytime stages to some extent) were frustrating. The Wii version's Werehog levels are also better, less glitchy etc. Just coming from experience of owning and playing both.

-- God Bless.
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    JonathanMoore said:
    "BlazeHedgehog said:
    Its because the daytime stages in Sonic Unleashed for the Wii are much better designed, even if they are more spaced out with less enemies. The XBox version (even the daytime stages to some extent) were frustrating. The Wii version's Werehog levels are also better, less glitchy etc. Just coming from experience of owning and playing both.-- God Bless."

That's the thing, though. I didn't find any of the Xbox 360 stages frustrating at all. Well, okay, the last level, Eggmanland, was definitely frustrating. But that's the last level - the last level in a game, for me, is allowed to be that hard, especially considering the game gives you so many free 1ups that I had  99 saved up by the time I got there.

Nothing I've heard about the Wii/PS2 versions sounds better. The game looks empty and barren. It's missing lots of content (two whole levels, a few bosses, some of the storyline). The controls are stiff and unintuitive. The Wii version is the lesser of the two versions. Seriously, let's compare:

Dragon Road Act 1 (Day) for the Xbox 360:

Dragon Road Act 1 (Day) for the Wii:

The Wii version doesn't look awful, but it is a step down from the Xbox 360/PS3 versions in just about every single regard.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Godwind

It could be a bad recording?

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    BlazeHedgehog said:
    "Kou_Leifoh said:
    "I play the PS2 version and I actually had some fun with game. I also heard that the Wii & PS2 version was actually better than 360 & PS3 version."
    Well I did hear that the 360/PS3 game have unresposive controls.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Pazy

Id take any version honesly, the only reason I dont own any/all of the versions of Sonic Unleashed is because when I played it I hated the werehog and town stages, everytime I played those parts it felt like I could be doing something more interesting and more fun but I had to "earn" the right to play a Sonic game that I had payed for (luckely I hadent, borrowed it from my little cousin).

I hope the next sonic release consists of the "sonic"/daytime levels. Even if its only three hours long just keep it the same engine and throw it on XBL/Wiiware/PSN for £6/$10 or something like that then update it with more levels everynow and then.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    Godwind said:
    "It could be a bad recording?"
    He S-Ranks the level. That's not a bad recording and he's not playing the game poorly.

Kou_Leifoh said:
    "BlazeHedgehog said:
    "Kou_Leifoh said:
    Well I did hear that the 360/PS3 game have unresposive controls. "

They are a little bit slippery, but I was never cursing the controls for making me die (unlike Sonic 2006).
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJOR64

I'm actually thinking of picking this game up soon.  I can't stop playing Sonic Rush Adventure.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamjohn
    BlazeHedgehog said:
    "iAmJohn said:
    "There's Sonic Unleashed DLC?  Does it make the game, uh, good?"
    Hurrr hurr. In all seriousness, though, for you? Probably not. If you had read the reviews I had linked, you would realize that the DLC is basically a "Hard Mode" for the game. Not all the levels are hard, mind you, but in general, they are more challenging than the main game is. But that only applies for daytime stages - Werehog levels are actually a lot better than they were in the normal game. They're shorter and emphasize the Werehog's strengths a bit better than the original levels. But yeah. Unless you think Sonic Unleashed needs to be harder, chances are you are not going to like the DLC levels. There's plenty of video you can watch to see for yourself. "
    Oh thanks,Sega!  Charging for a mode that you used to throw in the game
    for free.  AGAIN!

The Werehog stuff sounds like it's more bearable than the old game, but again, those stages had way more problems than being too long.  And as for Sonic, I don't see how a hard mode, especially one in the context of Sonic Unleashed's design, could possibly be good without changing the physics engine of the game.  It just seems like it would be even more rage-inducing than before.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Willy105

I never understood why reviewers say the PS2 (and by proxy the Wii) versions are better. All the Youtube videos make it look like the opposite is true.

What do you think, Blaze?

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    Willy105 said:
    "I never understood why reviewers say the PS2 (and by proxy the Wii) versions are better. All the Youtube videos make it look like the opposite is true.What do you think, Blaze?"
    I agree. Like I said, the levels just look... more empty. And more haphazard, too - in the Dragon Road (Wii/PS2) video I linked above, chinese spears fall out of the sky. Why, exactly? It feels like a very half-assed attempt at bringing in elements from Sonic & The Secret Rings. Sonic Unleashed for the Wii/PS2 looks to be full of half-assed stuff like that.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Willy105
    BlazeHedgehog said:
    "Willy105 said:
    "I never understood why reviewers say the PS2 (and by proxy the Wii) versions are better. All the Youtube videos make it look like the opposite is true.What do you think, Blaze?"
    I agree. Like I said, the levels just look... more empty. And more haphazard, too - in the Dragon Road (Wii/PS2) video I linked above, chinese spears fall out of the sky. Why, exactly? It feels like a very half-assed attempt at bringing in elements from Sonic & The Secret Rings. Sonic Unleashed for the Wii/PS2 looks to be full of half-assed stuff like that. "
    But why is it better received by most journalists?
    Kentro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kentro

Cause of its most "Around The World" expeicences. Even though its not really the real life places, its based off them. It has a basic few "Ups and Downs" i have to admit, But, its got some special features. 

The wii/Ps2 version has a basic calm camera angles, It has diffrent stlyes of methods. 
    The Xbox360/PS3 version is more manuvered into the story and basiclly is going deep within the game designing. Altought the camrea angle and follower are a little too adgy and out of line.  

I think the journalists are better with the action, not the storyline.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.