Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

Sonic the Hedgehog Finally Makes Sense

• 114 results
    ybouc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By ybouc

Jeff, I totally feel what you're saying.   I've been thinking that for a while now.    But even if Sega has changed so much... is it really an excuse ?   I mean, yes, the game is targeted at kids, but so what ?  Kids or not, it's low-quality. And you said it yourself, kids would rather play a bad game than no game.  But really, is that an excuse to make crappy games ?

Sonic is not just a kids' game, it's Sega's MASCOT !    Or maybe you, me, and all the others still just can't get over the fact that the "real" Sega is gone forever ?!?  (please say it ain't so... )

Avaloner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Avaloner

I always thought that the Sonic games where quite shallow really. It was just a matter of memorizing the level, through trial and error, then doing it in the quickest time possible. True it felt wicked for those who had the time, patience and mental dexterity to go through a level at full speed. But it did not feel like fun. I have yet to play Mirror's Edge but I think it is probably the best 3D re imagining of the gameplay from the old 2D Sonic games. You are basically doing the same thing. Plan a course, memorize it and then do it in the quickest possible time while avoiding the obstacles you meet on the way.

I  preferred the Mario games back then. In fact I STILL find the Mario games incredibly fun.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

The problem with newer versions is exaclty what Ryan said, we are no longer who these games are made for. We try to like these games using happy memories of our time spent with Sonic on the Megadrive, only to realise that the sonic games of today and not the same as those we played on the Megadrive so many years ago. We try to kid ourselves by saying that Mario is going strong, so Sonic still has the possibility, despite it continuously falling by the wayside. I think the best thing to do, is remember the happy times we had with the 16-bit era, and even dip our toes back into that pool, but ignore any newer versions of the game, unless a great PSP/DS version is created of course :)

Sestren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By Sestren

Yeah, I'm no longer a kid, but I don't enjoy bloody, dark, dismal-themed urban games exclusively. I still prefer games with some primary colors to the brown and gray hordes of monotone FPS's and crime-sims. They bore me. Speaking of that, I yawned in the general direction of Gears of War 2. Check my review for it if you think I'm totally crazy or if you secretly agree that it sucked (it's ok to go against the grain sometimes, you know).

Not that the last few Sonic games have been good. Sega in general has gone the way of cheap licensed games and unproven Western development of core franchises. It's so sad for someone like myself who grew up on Sega (Master System was my first console). I won a copy of Sonic Heroes signed by Yuji Naka. And that's the only reason I kept it. I absolutely loathe that game....

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105  Edited By JazGalaxy

What most Sonic fanboys, who double as diahard sega genesis fanboys, need to realize is that Sonic was NEVER a good game. That's why he can't be "revivived" or star in a good 3d game. Sonic was the first "lifestyle" game that was selling something entirely different than a good gaming experience with solid game mechanics. If you ask people what they like about Sonic, it's "it was fast" or "he had attidue and was so much cooler than mario". Okay. None of that is gameplay. That's why Mario, which features solid mechanics of tracking vectors and avoiding obstacles and at times managing inventory maintains it's appeal and sonic does not.

MindChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106  Edited By MindChamber

Personally Im as old if not older than Jeff, and consider myself a hardcore sonic fan.

I think Unleashed finally tapped into the fun and crazy speed of the original. The problem is Sega doesn't think its enough.  They don't have faith in their original design that they keep pushing new mechanics. The speed levels in Unleashed are amazing, and if the Ps3 and Xbox version were forced to be streamlined like the Wii was, Unleashed would've had a much higher score. The mario games work because they half faith in their main gameplay mechanics.  The one time they deviate from that, and scores drop  (Mario Sunshine comes to mind)

Sega needs to have faith in Sonics original mechanics.  The game should play like a high speed parkour game similar to a 3rd person version of mirrors Edge, mixed with a 3rd person running game that plays like Burnout.  If  thats all this had  (plus incredible music)
    Sonic would easily be back on the map.
    Avatar image for bread_or_decide
    bread_or_decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By bread_or_decide

Sonics one big gimmick just doesn't translate to 3D. Moving really fast, with obstacles in the way in 3D just leads to constant speed bumps along the way. The BEST levels in sonic adventure were the ones where sonic ran forward. They were easy. They were fun. They provided no challenge but the speed was a real gas. Mario translates better to 3D because 3D is all about walking around the environment jumping on baddies. Not really suited to fast moving characters.

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#108  Edited By Clbull

To be honest, I think Sonic went downhill since Sonic Heroes. SA2B was awesome, while I got SA:DX for the PC and thought it was ok, but definitely noticed that the graphics were getting dated. The early 3D games had annoying controls, but they weren't that bad until later sonic games.

As for Sonic Heroes, the controls were oversensitive and the final main level of Team Sonic's story mode involved 12 minutes of gameplay and about 8 deaths from annoying platforming sections. Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) was awful, not only because of a worse control scheme but because the levels were either buggy (sometimes falling through loops or moving too fast/slowly on one causing me to die with no way to prevent it except do it again) or they were badly designed. Worse, the city challenges were annoying because of the several loading screens.

Sonic Unleashed was an improvement I think, but level design has gotten worse. For instance, Rooftop Run Day Act 3 involved the collecting of Chao in an annoying platforming level which the controls just didn't suit. I would often fall to my death because it was a bit difficult to control Sonic.

misfit119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#109  Edited By misfit119

I have a serious problem with the "Sonic isn't for adults" mentality. I know people who never played the older Mario or Zelda games but love the newer ones. Maybe this argument works for horrible aspects of the games like the storyline, voice acting or human/animal beastiality love story but not for the gameplay. In the older days of gaming there wasn't really a story and, well let's face it, Sonic Team doesn't know how to tell a good story to save its life. That's fine, we can easily see how that works.

But the gameplay? It's freaking horrible! These games belong in a shovelware bargain bin. The older games were so good because they were so simple. Run from point A to point B, platform and dodge/defeat enemies as you go. Pick Sonic if you want speed, Tails if you want flight or Knucles for... wall climbing I guess and then off you go. No insipid story, horrible fetch quests, wanna-be E-rated God of War segments or hedgehogs with guns. Just pure platforming goodness. And sure, kids are a lot more forgiving and will enjoy even absolutely horrendous games simply because it clicks with them (or its based on a cartoon they watch) but that doesn't make it a good game nor something Sega should be proud of.

If Sega would just release a Sonic game that focused on some speed, some platforming and dealing with the enemies then they'd be fine. The last game they released that had that (Sonic 2006) they rushed out the door and it's destroyed by a million and one glitches and bugs. The problem is they don't learn from their gameplay mistakes. They keep trying to throw down gimmick after gimmick (likely because it's what Mario games do - ie. Mario with a water spray! or Mario in Space!) but they fail time and time again.

Frankly I'm all for Sonic Team being dismantled and someone else getting their hands on Sonic. After the original Sonic Team went away it's all been downhill. They've torn apart Sonic, released a pretty bad NiGHTS sequel and released one good Phantasy Star game before it all went to hell there too. The best Sonic games released in recent years (due to going back to simplicity) weren't even developed by them. Thank you Backbone for making decent handheld Sonic games at least!

Stinkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Stinkins

Jeff, you make a good point and one I hadn't thought about.  I keep thinking Sega will get their current Sonic games right and make them like the old ones.  However, I guess the point is they are making them like the older ones.  That is to say, they are making them with kids in mind.  Nonetheless, I still think it wouldn't hurt Sega to try to make a new 2D side-scrolling game.  Just look at the Gameboy Advance and DS Sonic games.  They were a lot of fun. 

starhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By starhawk

I think I disagree with the article actually.  Mario is still fun, maybe even more so, today than his games were in the older days, and he was aimed at the same kid-audience as Sonic was.  I think Sega just sucks at making games nowadays.  Not Sonic's fault.

Silverevilchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Silverevilchao

Sonic CD was not the "last truly great" 2D Sonic game. That title belongs to Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By Shadow

how does it feel to move out of the 12 to 32 target video game demographic?  You thought you would be there forever, but suddenly find yourself unable to find that darned on switch.  Time to install a clapper into the back of your PS3.

Destroyeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By Destroyeron

I don't disagree that Sonic is intended for kids, but the dramatic drop in quality is definitely there.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By rateoforange

Withes do come twue!

Avatar image for capncloudchaser
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By CapnCloudchaser

I don't understand the whole "Dismantle Sonic Team!" thing. They actually brought in a new group of people, all old school Sonic fans, to develop Sonic Unleashed. You want to throw them out and bring back the people that made Sonic 06? Sonic Unleashed is a step in the right direction, give them time.

slicerness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By slicerness

i'm seventeen and i agree with the guy that said kid games are hard. maybe i'm just playing it wrong but when i ransacked my old gamecube collection and found 'sonic riders' i can't even beat the fourth level. they always pass me when i miss one of the 'specialty character' shorcuts. (flying, rails, etc, etc)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.