Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sniper Elite III

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jun 26, 2014

In Sniper Elite III, players once again take on the role of World War II sniper Karl Fairburne, this time as he travels to Northern Africa to uncover a secret Nazi plot.

How "open-world" is this?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have been hearing this game is open world, is that actually true? Is it one open space where the whole game takes place? Or do people mean the individual missions take place in a larger areas ala Ground Zeroes where you can take multiple paths to reach your objectives?

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I would say it's more like Ground Zeroes in the respect that you can approach your objectives from multiple angles, but each level takes place in different small-ish battle areas. There are eight individual levels that are all in separate (but similar looking) environments. Some are smaller and more linear than others.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all. Some of the levels are fairly open, but nothing about it seems open-world. Besides everything seems set in stone, so there are no random elements that differentiate one playthrough of the levels from another.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say it most reminds me of Crysis, in that "not super linear, but not truly open either" way.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, really. Due to the way everything's set up, it feels almost like a side mode. "Here's some arenas to do some sniper stuff in!". The game's still a ton of fun, and I like the increased replay value inherent in the level design, but unless the story or setting changes up a bit later on, I think it's a bit of a step back from V2.

Still, I recommend it. The sniping is still great, and the stealth is much, much better this time around.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

It's open world in that the maps are large and you can go just about anywhere. However with the way that the game is designed it actually punishes you for taking advantage of the "open world" aspects as there are specific areas that are set up to keep you undetected while you operate and if you don't use those specific areas you will be detected. You can play how you want but if you don't stick to the routes that they obviously want you to use you will have a much more difficult time playing well. It almost seems like they designed another linear SE and then once everything was done they just removed map boundaries and shipped it.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@quipido: It's not. The level designs aren't that open compared to the MGSV level design dream. But yeah:

@shagge said:

I'd say it most reminds me of Crysis

Except more directed. You can't go round and literally jump on a tree to silence a sniper so you can go round the whole map to take out the rest from behind.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok then, thanks!

Skullking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@randyf said:

I would say it's more like Ground Zeroes in the respect that you can approach your objectives from multiple angles.

This

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.