Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skylanders Giants

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 21, 2012

This sequel to Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure introduces new "Giant" Skylanders to the toy-based action series from developer Toys For Bob. All the original Skylanders figures are useable this sequel, with 16 new Skylanders being added as well.

Skylanders Giants rips off Ikaruga

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tp0p
    ikaruga boss dishing out mad amounts of colour coded projectiles
    ikaruga boss dishing out mad amounts of colour coded projectiles

Let me preface this with saying that I probably sure people have already seen similarities in the gameplay between skylanders giants and ikaruga and that I'm probably not the first person to find a link between the two. There are several boss battles in skylanders giants that particularly ape the style of ikarugas original projectile polarity switching premise. This is not only in general gameplay but visually as well. In skylanders giants there is a boss battle where you fight wizard of sorts who fires blue and red projectiles towards you. The red orbs deal you damage. The blue orbs give you health. You also have the ability to swap the two colours. Sound, familiar? because that's exactly the what you do in ikaruga. What do you guys think? I kind of thought it cool for someone who has played a lot of games to see a sort of nod to an older game.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By august

I'm not regret.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MudMan

That mechanic has been in tons of games since Ikaruga came out. It's... a bit of a cliché to point out "binary colour coded projectiles" as an Ikaruga influence these days. I think we grew out of it around the time Outland came out.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Vonocourt

It was obviously an homage, not a ripoff. You should feel ashamed for that title.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RazielCuts

To a lesser extent I think the new DMC game does that as well doesn't it? With the Angel/Demon weapons and having to use each specific type against the different enemies.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tp0p

@NoelVeiga: man... I totally forgot about outland hahaha. Never played it but yeah, it is the most similar to ikaruga. And yes, I probably shouldn't complain about skylanders unoriginality beyond the whole "portal of power stuff". Since the game is a hack and slash dungeon crawler in the same ilk as gauntlet.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EXTomar

*shrug* Neir "ripped off" Ikaruga even more. I'm unsure why that or this is a problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.