Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 29, 1999

An action-adventure game set in 1980s Japan that follows one young man's journey to avenge his father's murder. It was praised for its ambitious scope and pioneered several gameplay features such as realistic open-world environments and Quick Time Events.

Endurance Run worthy?

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

This game seems to be the real candidate for the next Endurance Run. Ryan specifically said the words "Shenmue" and "Endurance Run" in one sentence in the last Bombcast. I have not played through Shenmue, and I wanted to ask those who have: Is this game good enough for the next Endurance Run? I mean, Persona 4 is a tough act to follow, but can Shenmue pull its own weight?
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I don't think it will be interesting enough........

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bonbolapti

Every game is a different experience.  

It wouldn't be a bad choice, just the pacing is really different. 
    As much as I can see Shenmue being a good choice for an endurance run, it's not really going to have  the same entertainment value that we got from P4.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think that Ryan (and probably Brad) could do Shenmue. That game is Japanese and weird enough to be worthy of an endurance run, even if it is completely up its own ass with pretentiousness. I would watch it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

Watching the Quick Look was boring as hell, so no

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By LiquidSwords

Jeff said on the last  Endurance run that he's really not that excited about the other games. One Endurance run is good enough.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The thing is, with P4, Jeff and Vinny wanted to play the game. All of them sound like they're pretty opposed to playing Shenmue.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Sam_lfcfan

It would be really boring until they started looking for sailors.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

No.  Here's the thing:  how much extra stuff did Jeff and Vinny do in Persona 4?  I mean, I don't know much about the game, but from what I understand, the game in a straight-forward manner takes a LOOOOONG time to beat.  Therefore, trying to find something to rival it seems to be limited to anything with "Shin Megami Tensei" in the title.  Strange Journey is supposedly 70-100 hours of play.  Alpha Protocol supposedly has 100+ hours of longplay.  Rogue Galaxy can last upwards of 100+ hours for a longplay.  However, how many of those are STRAIGHT-FORWARD?  Longplay means that you are going for EVERYTHING in the game.  You could go through Rogue Galaxy in 30-40 hours easily. 

That's why it's difficult to really find something that can compare.  Also, Persona 4 is pretty zany, which is what made it enjoyable material to watch. 

Therefore, I don't know what to pick.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

No...it would just be a complete borefest.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Eh... it's about a 6.8...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

Watching the Quick Look of the game, I'd be up for watching someone play through it.  The Quick Look actually made me wish that I had actually bought a Dreamcast back in the day so that I could have played Shenmue.  There's just something so different about it, and an Endurance Run of it wouldn't be for everyone, but I would totally be up for watching it.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By stonyman65

Yeah this is endurance run worthy.. the second one is too. I would love to see it.

I'm waiting for the Fallout endurance run

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deathawk

I don't think they have a VMU do they? Brad said something about saving the game and Ryan said they had no way of doing so...

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By nrain

PLEASE to god no, the quick look had me bored off my ass.
    essd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By essd0g

Having played both Shenmue I and II, and actually liked  them, I still have to say no. 

Granted you're into these sorts of games, I think its one of those games you have to experience for yourself first-hand to really enjoy. Shenmue is a really slow burn. I could see 70% of the endurance run just boiling down to watching them run around aimlessly finding key conversations and items. Combat encounters are few and far between and the game often throws repetitive tasks at you. For example there is a point where you work at a dock driving a forklift moving boxes which gets tiresome real quick but is necessary to progess in the game. Yeah, not fun to play much less watch. You also do things like, if my memory serves me correctly, like clear out some books from some guys library, attempt to hit a certain amout of falling cherry blossom leaves from a tree, and play darts. Again, not much fun to play much less watch.

Now I know it sounds like a I hate this game, but at the time the atmosphere and story really kept me going. That probably won't be enough for most people, and you can't really fault them for that. Had there been as much combat as there was aimless exploration and repetitive tasks, I think this game would have appealed to more people and would definitely be a viable endurance run candidate. 

On a related note, I think the Yakuza series is a really cool spiritual successor to Shenmue and when Yakuza 3 gets an English translation (which I think it is but don't quote me on that) it would make an epic endurance run. The beat-em-up combat looks fun and the story and setting seem engrossing enough to make the quieter moments of the game interesting to watch. I don't think that will happen though since I don't think they'd just jump right into the third act of a story-heavy series.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Daryl

I'd rather they did more Quick Look Throwbacks than another Endurance Run. 

dubios451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it only took 7 years but he called it.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better late than never.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the first response is also right... man what a boring game! Of course Vinny could make drying paint interesting, but still I had to do something else when listening this ER.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@zaccheus: yeah, I pretty much treated it as a podcast while I did stuff, of course watching the screen for main events and what not.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is he a prophet of the past to foretell us of the future?!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ivdamke said:

@flashflood_29: I basically do that for every GB video.

I mean, I kinda do too, but for this series especially.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
    rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

And the first response is also right... man what a boring game! Of course Vinny could make drying paint interesting, but still I had to do something else when listening this ER.

I agree, "watching" this ER makes more use of multiple monitors than graphical design.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did a great job but after a few episodes I bounced off. The game hasn't aged well at all in my opinion. But hey it's nice to know I can still watch the whole thing when I feel like it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

People might not like this, but I wonder what the increase of viewership was from the first endurance run to the Shenmue one. A 4,000% increase on views might not even be that crazy of a number. But I will go even further, there are obviously more people at this site now; but I would bet a greater percentage of the total audience watched this Shenmue Endurance run than any other endurance run too.

The videos did their job: they generated views, they generated discussion, and they probably even raised the amount of times per-week the average "Duder" showed up to the site. All the metrics Giant Bomb and CBSi would want were raised by Shenmue. It was figuratively "a rising tide that lifts all boats". Whether you watched because you like Shenmue or came to tell us all it was boring, the video series likely did good things for Giant Bomb.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The boring-ness of Shenmue makes it perfect for an ER. For me ER's need a bit of struggle. Some of the best parts of the P4 one where when they got wiped from that dungeon suddenly or struggled through long boss fights (and then had Vinny cast an ice spell on the enemy and heal them and Jeff FREAKS THE FUCK OUT).

I loved it. Hearing Vinny realize what the game was over time, especially that stretch where he ran into a bunch of "come back tomorrow" moments, was brilliant.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just how absurdly stupid this game was made it so good for an endurance run. It is def a bit of a different theme than some of the other rpgs in endurance run history, but well worthy of its place. If anything just to watch Vinny get more and more angry about how terrible the game is .

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It was a great podcast. One of Giantbomb's best niche podcasts yet!

MrSensible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slower pace equals more banter, which is why I follow GB in the first place. And sometimes it's nice to just let a strange game like this wash over you. The ER also reminded me how much I enjoyed Shenmue back in the day and I ended up buying another Dreamcast so I could play it. Got first place in the forklift race!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.