Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

Yu Suzuki Retires As Creative Officer, Shenmue III Dreams Shatter

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

From Kotaku:

The creator of titles like Virtua Fighter, OutRun and Shenmue has "retired" from his Creative Officer position at Sega of Japan, Sega announced this week. But the company isn't done with Yu Suzuki just yet.

While Sega-Sammy notes that Suzuki has "retired" from his role as Creative Officer of the AM Plus R&D department, he'll still have some influence at Sega. The developer will continue on as manager of that group, in a role that GameSpot, by way of Sega reps, says is of "diminished capacity."

Suzuki's employment at Sega was called into question last year, when Sega of America boss Simon Jeffery indicated that the creator was no longer working for the company. Jeffery later corrected that, placing Suzuki in a Creative Officer role.

While Shenmue fans should really have given up hope of seeing Shenmue III a long, long time ago, we'd have to think that those still holding a candle for a third chapter should extinguish those hopes. Yes, Suzuki is still a Sega man, but it seems his creative influence is becoming increasingly, let's say, selective.

------

I cite Shenmue II right next to Ocarina Of Time as my favourite game ever. And the original Shenmue is not far out of my top five. The music, the atmosphere, the originality. Maybe I played it at an impressionable time of my life, but I still pull it back out every year.

I harbour public wishes for the announcement of Shenmue III every games conference. Be it on Playstation 3, XBOX 360, Wii, whatever -- I would happily buy an entire system to play the next installment of the Shenmue franchise, I love it that much.

But it sounds like it's time to light a candle to, in my opinion, the greatest unfinished story in video game history. I'll always harbour belief that Shenmue III might come one day, but perhaps it's time to stop yearning.

Once more, for old times:

:'(

EDIT: New avatar out of respect.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Diamond

Personally I don't see how this negates the chances of a Shenmue 3.  I wouldn't be surprised if Shenmue 3 plans are all written down somewhere at Sega.  Now that the basic Shenmue mechanics are laid down, it's just a matter of making the game.

Chances of another new Yu Suzuki IP are lower now.  They just don't make those sort of (mostly arcade games) anymore.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By mracoon

Maybe he'll go to make it at another company unless Sega own the right to the franchise, in that case your screwed.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Or he'll bring AM Plus up to greatness being more closely involved with a smaller group of developers now. But yeah, the dude is something like 50 years old, gotta let him rest eventually. Before dieing that is.

@mracoon did you even read the post? It's not the company demoting him, or him being pissed @ them and leaving. He's simply getting old.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Oni

Yeah, it sucks that we'll never know how Shenmue was going to continue, after part 2's crazy ending. Release it in novel form, I don't care, I want to know what happens!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sorry, I meant maybe he'll bring Amusement R&D Division back to greatness as that's where he's been moved according to this (official stuffs)!

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Godwind

Ryo, please just hold on a little bit longer.  I know you can do it.

UnsungHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By UnsungHero

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

I was just about to make this thread. You know, even though I really should have given up hope on Shenmue III, I don't think I can and news like this is just so depressing. Not simply from my Shenmue orientated viewpoint but also because it continues to show that SEGA just have little to no integrity and are just 110% profiteering these days.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

How does a guy getting older as time goes by mean SEGA has no integrity... He's 51, he'll probably retire this decade, surely there should be some sort of adjustment period both for the company and himself... SEGA still make great games like Valkyria Chronicles and, surprise, people still don't buy them... What's the next step, keep making these same games people don't buy and disappear into oblivion? That's the only step left after they've become a mere third party instead of one of the big three...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Al3xand3r said:
    "How does a guy getting older as time goes by mean SEGA has no integrity... He's 51, he'll probably retire this decade, surely there should be some sort of adjustment period both for the company and himself... SEGA still make great games like Valkyria Chronicles and, surprise, people still don't buy them... What's the next step, keep making these same games people don't buy and disappear into oblivion? That's the only step left after they've become a mere third party instead of one of the big three..."
    Because SEGA are more than willing to keep churning out Sonic game after Sonic game and not really use those profits on anything good. Sure, SEGA make Valkyria Chronicles, but by completely avoiding the concept of advertising the game anywhere where someone might notice it and putting it only on the PS3 really harmed its chances of selling more than a handful of units. The next step is actually show a bit of confidence in a game you're promoting and actually look like you give a shit about your quality products rather than shilling another Sonic on the Wii where, for the bargain price of £35, Sonic has a super cool new gimmick. It's pathetic and really exposes the video game industry for what it really is.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

More like exposes the consumers for what they really are, a vocal minority wants to think it was the hardcores that dictated what was great before the Wii but SEGA's (and other companies') history proves otherwise as they constantly lost ground when they kept making excellent titles yet they started turning in profits once they started the shovelware machine. Sure they had many bad marketing decisions in the past, but come on, the hardcores can see past that surely, and just appreciate the games. Why would they have faith in good games now after what they have cost them? At least they still make them occasionally, and do make some excellent publishing deals. And for more recent examples look @ EA, how every vocal hardcore gamer considered them the bane of the industry yet once they start putting out titles that are considered a lot more than that (personally I hated Dead Space but at least it was an effort) then they start losing money too, and that also has nothing to do with the Wii as the platform wasn't involved in that business all that much.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Using terms like 'hardcores' is what's bringing the whole industry down. There's no such thing as a group of people who stare longingly into the window of a video game shop who'd love to play Call of Duty 4 but are afraid it uses too many buttons so opt for Mario Kart Wii instead. What there is, is a market of people who want to play games and SEGA making cheap, shallow garbage all the time that sells does make the consumers not only look stupid but it makes the ones who would like something different and a bit more challenging leave the market all together, thus creating the cesspool we have today where every major game is a brown FPS or a 5 year old rehash with motion controls.

The reason why other markets thrive so well is they work on good faith. Take the movies, for example. Big studios like Sony fund the blockbusters, make huge returns then use that money to, not only make the next big summer hit, but fund smaller productions which are often of much better quality and more interesting but do not hit the big numbers. Unfortunately, video games doesn't have that and SEGA is living proof.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cornman89

Not sure if this applies to the conversation at hand, but... I played the original Shenmue, and distinctly remember loving it dearly. But looking back with the benefit of hindsight, I can't say for certain that the game was actually fun. Can anyone relate?

I just can't visualize a tween version of myself sitting on the couch, squealing in joy as I move around boxes on a goddamned forklift every day. All I can remember about that game now are all the mundane little tasks scattered throughout Yokosuka.

And the 70-man battle, of course.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

Heartbroken, everyone on Shenmue Dojo is.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail

So... Sega is dead now?

I mean, Sonic is dead, and that dude retired, and the only good games they have are the football manager ones, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Tennis.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb

The thing that I don't understand is, they have the Yakuza 3 engine. They have the script. Heck they probably have the assets that would just need up-resing. Couldn't they just make it? I really don't understand why they haven't. I know it costs money, and the first two games were commercial flops but -- given the rabid fanbase it's ALWAYS going to sell to both existing fans, and subsequently the "hype" would run off on "newcomers".

In fact, more to the point -- why aren't SEGA releasing Yakuza 3 over here? All they have to do is slap subtitles on it.

I understand SEGA are making majority of their cash through dodgy Wii games these days, and I don't begrudge them that. Hell, if anyone deserves to shift units it's SEGA, because they've been shafted so much in the past. If they released 10 games in 2010 though, why couldn't 9 be dodgy Wii games and 1 be Shenmue III. Heck, they could even make Shenmue III for the Wii.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

It got two chances, and failed, three if you count the Xbox port, why keep trying when they got a formula that works better (in terms of profit) with Yakuza? Maybe they will after they're done with that franchise (for a while at least).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.