Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

Shenmue 3 could potentially be a real game?

• 62 results
    Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man, am i happy?! This is actually two great and amazing things happening at the same. 1) We get Shenmue 2) Yu Suzuki is back! *tears*

@ericdrum: i think that Sony will help out with the PS4 version only. Either by porting it,publishing it or both.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jimbo: Oh, thanks for clearing that one up. You should call up Mr. Suzuki and let him know that he has no idea what he is doing with his baby and that the fans are wrong for supporting him. You went from expert mind reader to armchair analyst so fast that I am shocked you didnt get whiplash.

Expert mind reader I may be, but I'm right about these things too consistently to be an analyst.

What makes you think Mr. Suzuki has no idea what he's doing? This seems win-win for him, especially with his flagrant disregard for the Kickstarter T&Cs with regard setting a realistic target.

If Sony is in fact acting as publisher here -which seems likely- then this whole exercise amounts to 'Let's all give Sony some interest free and risk free finance!'. Now, that's a gross misuse of Kickstarter, but at least it makes it somewhat plausible that the game will get released.

Avatar image for disquisedjustin
    DisquisedJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By DisquisedJustin

I finished the original Shenmue for the first time just this past year and loved it. If you're interested in hearing thoughts about it from a new fan, check out this post I made in the forums a few months back. http://www.giantbomb.com/shenmue/3025-602/forums/it-s-2015-and-i-finished-shenmue-for-the-first-tim-1768579/#7

On the subject, I'm very happy this is finally happening, both as a new fan and as someone who wants fans of unfinished franchises to finally get the closure they deserve. The only real drawback I see from this is that it made me think of Ryan again, and wondered what he'd be thinking if he lived to see Shenmue 3 get announced. Obviously, he didn't think Shenmue was a great game, but he saw that the game had heart, and I would've loved to know what he thought about all of this.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jimbo said:
    @71ranchero said:

@jimbo: Oh, thanks for clearing that one up. You should call up Mr. Suzuki and let him know that he has no idea what he is doing with his baby and that the fans are wrong for supporting him. You went from expert mind reader to armchair analyst so fast that I am shocked you didnt get whiplash.

Expert mind reader I may be, but I'm right about these things too consistently to be an analyst.

What makes you think Mr. Suzuki has no idea what he's doing? This seems win-win for him, especially with his flagrant disregard for the Kickstarter T&Cs with regard setting a realistic target.

If Sony is in fact acting as publisher here -which seems likely- then this whole exercise amounts to 'Let's all give Sony some interest free and risk free finance!'. Now, that's a gross misuse of Kickstarter, but at least it makes it somewhat plausible that the game will get released.

Yeah, i cancelled my pledge bc of this.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm starting to dread the slow progress this KickStarter has demonstrated. Every time we see an update on the KS site it looks like a dude in a tiny office and that all you see. The latest update was about 'Motion Capture' and they basically said they were still in the selection phase of which middle-ware to use for that. Overall, it appears little has gone into any real production, and that is somewhat disappointing. I only put $29 in, as with all KS I'm ready to lose that money, but I wish they would step on the gas or just admit this is not going to go anywhere.

I'm not saying every games has to be a lavish multi- million dollar production, but this KS is dragging. I don't mind them saying "we can't do this", because that is at least honest and everyone could move on.

Maybe, I'm being too pessimistic. I'd love a new Shenmue, and I'd even accept a janky low budge one, but I don't think any backers will get anything. Worse, they will only find out they will get nothing after 3 more years of diddling.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw this topic bumped and I figured I'd just gone crazy and dreamt it was happening.

But i'm sure they just did a presentation showing some scenes. It is being worked on.

I'm sure....

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way this gets made is if Sega give us the Shenmue x Yakuza we deserve.

"Mr. Kiryu! I have no parents. Can I avenge them at your orphanage?"

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

I dropped 170 bucks on this thing because of all the extras and its the first KS I back. Maybe I'm a sucker for having done this but I believe and also because I hate it when people just cry and bitch about companies not giving them what they want. I remember all the time people saying they just loooove Thundercats, so where were they when they made a new one? There are so many other examples I cant remember right now. Thing is if theres a chance it gets made, I'm willing to take it and not just by signing some dumbass petition. What moves companies into making stuff is money, so it was time I put my money where my mouth was.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@eder said:

I dropped 170 bucks on this thing because of all the extras and its the first KS I back. Maybe I'm a sucker for having done this but I believe and also because I hate it when people just cry and bitch about companies not giving them what they want. I remember all the time people saying they just loooove Thundercats, so where were they when they made a new one? There are so many other examples I cant remember right now. Thing is if theirs a chance it gets made, I'm willing to take it and not just by signing some dumbass petition. What moves companies into making stuff is money, so it was time I put my money where my mouth was.

Hey, I'd love it if the game comes out and is decent. Given you dropped $170 you likely want more out of it than I do, yet I can empathize with you desire to "back" what you want to see. I loved the first Shenmue, and I got the first Xbox because I knew that woudl allow me to play Shenmue 2 among other things.

I think there is a space in the RPG-Action genra for a game like Shenmue to exist. All I have ever wanted was another Shenmue game. I don't need to to be a full RPG either. I actually would just like to have the same amount and game play, expect maybe allow for more player choice in how the story get to the end. Hell, I even liked the jobs, that forklift was FUN and you really only played that a few times for about four minutes.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@eder: I also dropped a similar amount with basicly the same reasoning. I have really big hopes for a new Shenmue but the way these gears are turning i dont really expect anything at this point. If worse comes to worst i will only be missing the game not my money, those guys can have it for the games they have already given me and the game they at least tried to give me.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Devil240Z

why are people upset?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be really crazy if this doesn't come out. Sony may not be publishing this, but they vouched for it, they advertised it, they mentioned the KS at E3 and a lot of important people have reputations on the line here, including, obviously Yu Suzuki first and foremost.

Something will be released eventually. Will it be the game everyone wants? Unclear. But they will release something and it will be a professional product. It may just end up short and linear.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.