Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

13 Years VMU Still works

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969
    No Caption Provided

Just fired up my Sega Downcast and the VMU battery was still good. Small miracles.

[UPDATE] Nah the battery was/is dead it just had my saves and worked while plugged in... or I forgot how the hell a VMU works when it out of the system? ;-)

Still I was impressed with the VMU even years later show off fight moves and such in Shenmue. Also just having teh game on teh controller seems neat for a reason I can't really express.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I assume that the loud beeping every time I turn it on means mine is out of battery?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Are you sure it has battery? If it is plugged in to the controller it will take electricity through the controller. Does it still work even if you take it out of the controller? I remember having to change that battery every couple of weeks when I used to take it with me to play Pinta Quest (Skies of Arcadia).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monkeyking1969

@dagas said:

Are you sure it has battery? If it is plugged in to the controller it will take electricity through the controller. Does it still work even if you take it out of the controller? I remember having to change that battery every couple of weeks when I used to take it with me to play Pinta Quest (Skies of Arcadia).

Yeah, it was drained. Sort of glad Sega used a battery type that doesn't leak since I just put everything in the box 'as is' 13 years ago. I will have to buy some new batteries.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ry_Ry

long live the chao garden

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Skinky

You can download new games for VMU...

http://dreamcast-news.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/pokemon-go-vmu-en-prevision.html?m=1

Pokemon Go VMU

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monkeyking1969

The weirdness of the VMU makes me wish Sony has put out teh PocketStation in the US. Both in retrospect were likely bad ideas, or at least untenable as useful memory cards and useful game devices...but it would have been fun. I know I argue up above that teh littles screen on the Dreamcast controller were neat, but I can be honest too - they really never were needed. A memory card, that is a Tamagotchi, seems more fun and useful that it actually is in reality.

No Caption Provided

I do think "screens on controllers" will make a come back. But it will be in 10 years when you can put a plastic sheet thin color eINk display on a controller's touch pad/button that costs '30 cents', and draws so little power that they display has no effect on the battery life of the controller. And, such a display will be just useful enough to make the fractional cost worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.