Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shank

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

A bloody tale of revenge, Shank is a 2D brawler which has players slicing, shooting, grenading and chainsawing their way through enemies.

Not as great as the reviews say

modeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By modeps

Is anyone feeling that Shank just isn't as great as the reviews are leading us to believe? Much like Limbo, it's kind of a one trick pony with cool visuals.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I'm on my fourth playthrough, so I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. Also if you check out a wide selection of the reviews you'll see some bad ones. In fact I feel as though its underrated, most of the reviews I've read complain about it being repetitive, and having the same enemy type over and over...which is "funny" because those are the standard traits of a brawler game. I'm not going to lie to you, brawlers aren't going to win any contests for story, character development or realism but I have always found them extremely fun to play. For me Shank is the same, I have replayed the game several times unlocking the costumes, concept art etc and facing the challenge of the harder difficulty. So I feel as though there is some replay value there. Will I be playing it this time next month? Probably not...through I will come back to it one day.

I can't compare the experience to Limbo as I haven't bought it yet, but from playing the demo and reading about it, it seems as though it will have very limited replay value. This is the only reason I haven't bought it yet. 

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpiralStairs

None of the reviews that I've seen have praised it. So I don't know what you're talking about.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Nope, it is even greater than what they say.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By zityz
    @IkariNoTekken said:
    "I'm on my fourth playthrough, so I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. Also if you check out a wide selection of the reviews you'll see some bad ones. In fact I feel as though its underrated, most of the reviews I've read complain about it being repetitive, and having the same enemy type over and over...which is "funny" because those are the standard traits of a brawler game. I'm not going to lie to you, brawlers aren't going to win any contests for story, character development or realism but I have always found them extremely fun to play. For me Shank is the same, I have replayed the game several times unlocking the costumes, concept art etc and facing the challenge of the harder difficulty. So I feel as though there is some replay value there. Will I be playing it this time next month? Probably not...through I will come back to it one day. I can't compare the experience to Limbo as I haven't bought it yet, but from playing the demo and reading about it, it seems as though it will have very limited replay value. This is the only reason I haven't bought it yet.  "

Does the game have some sort of elevator spot in it where you fight dudes on it?
    RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By RankRabbit

Same thing with Deathspank! Oh, but that only got average reviews and yet I still bought, what a sucker I am.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IkariNoTekken
    @zityz said:
    " @IkariNoTekken said:
    "I'm on my fourth playthrough, so I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. Also if you check out a wide selection of the reviews you'll see some bad ones. In fact I feel as though its underrated, most of the reviews I've read complain about it being repetitive, and having the same enemy type over and over...which is "funny" because those are the standard traits of a brawler game. I'm not going to lie to you, brawlers aren't going to win any contests for story, character development or realism but I have always found them extremely fun to play. For me Shank is the same, I have replayed the game several times unlocking the costumes, concept art etc and facing the challenge of the harder difficulty. So I feel as though there is some replay value there. Will I be playing it this time next month? Probably not...through I will come back to it one day. I can't compare the experience to Limbo as I haven't bought it yet, but from playing the demo and reading about it, it seems as though it will have very limited replay value. This is the only reason I haven't bought it yet.  "
    Does the game have some sort of elevator spot in it where you fight dudes on it? "
    Ha ha, unfortunately not. Also it doesn't have a pipe as a weapon and Haggar's from Final Fight is not in it either. [He should be in every game] Oh, and even though I love the music in Shank,  it can't compete against the SoR2 soundtrack.  
    *Begins digging through box to find Mega Drive power cable.*
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

Reviews are opinions you know.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45

yeah all the reviews I've seen have said it sucks.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Ineedaname
    @CL60 said:
    " Reviews are opinions you know. "
    But we, the internet, take them as hard fact!
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HaniBall

I think the combat has some pretty good depth to it. Very cool free flowing combat.
    I have a feeling the hard mode of Shank will have a very solid player base for a good long time. 

It may be flawed, even broken in some places, but a one trick pony it's definitely not.

wcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By wcard
    @joest01 said:
    " I think the combat has some pretty good depth to it. Very cool free flowing combat. I have a feeling the hard mode of Shank will have a very solid player base for a good long time.   It may be flawed, even broken in some places, but a one trick pony it's definitely not. "
    I agree, I am a HUGE fan of brawlers and, having just finished playing the living hell out of scott pilgrim, I can offer a decent comparison between Shank and your average brawler (Elevator Levels!!!!  There aren't any in shank fyi zityz).  The combat in Shank has way more depth than your run-of-the-mill brawler.  I also found that hard mode was frustrating at some points (like getting knocked into a pit over and over with either a missile or grenade ARGHH!!!),  but it provided an excellent challenge that really pushed me to master and utilize the numerous weapon combinations for specific sections of each level.  Initially I loathed the idea of restarting every time I died in hard mode, but, as you replay levels, the efficiency with which you dispatch the enemies of each section improves and before you know it you are breezing through the level without taking a hit which becomes immensely satisfying.  For me, the game's true value is found in hard mode and as i worked my way through it, Shank evolved from a so-so, button mashing brawler into a strategic and incredibly satisfying gaming experience.

For fans of scott pilgrim ill put it this way.  When i started shank i was pretty dissatisfied and found SP to be more gratifying if not just for the replay value.  After completing Shank, I find it to a far superior game.  Though I do think it is kind of unfair to compare the two seeing as SP is a nostalgia based Arcade brawler (TMNT anyone?) and shank is a side-scroller. 

Anyway i think ive gone on long enough.  Hopefully, after reading this, somebody will find a bit more appreciation for this great game.  I mean it only costs 15 bucks! Come on!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.