Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 22, 2019

An action game by FromSoftware, the makers of Dark Souls.

Do you think Sekiro should have a difficulty option?

• 108 results
    Girafro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think Sekiro should have a difficulty option? (401 votes)

Yes 24%
    No 75%

I was thinking about the old debate around the Souls series having difficulty options and I'm thinking Sekiro is the perfect candidate to re-open the fight!

When it comes to the older Souls games I'm not too sure, you can always grind up and farm gear and improve your character or build a magic user, there are builds that make the game easier, but Sekiro has none of that.

I think with the way Sekiro is more mechanics based, with no real character flexibility outside of skill equips and no real way to grind up you stats or improve your character, no weapons or gear sets to swap for utility, it seems like Sekiro is the perfect candidate to introduce difficulty settings into FromSoft games. Even little things, like reducing damage received so that more casual players can learn the timing of parries better without being constantly punished.

Having level ups and improvements locked behind defeating difficult enemies is a neat idea, but it severely limits the ability of players to get by in the game if they are stumped. Unlike Souls games, where a player can grind up a few stats or change their gear, in Sekiro you don't have much choice but to bash your head against the wall until it breaks or you give up. That's fine for some people, but for many it's a deal breaker.

So, what do you think? Do you agree that Sekiro ought to have a difficulty selection or not? And why? I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say!

• 
    CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It kind of does you can make the game harder

TrottyVek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 7

I'll be honest, I don't think I could call most of the time I spent with this game in the first 4 days fun. Even as a "Souls" fan I wasn't prepared for the fucking brutal difficulty curve at the beginning, with every minuscule amount of progress being dwarfed by heaping mounds of rage and frustration. But it all clicked when I beat Lady Butterfly. A really good resource I'd recommend is the youtube channel VaatiVidya. On top of really great deep dives into the souls/born lore he also did a tips video for Sekiro that was super useful.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trottyvek: My experience was similar, although I did enjoy it from the start. Lady Butterfly was the first thing to give me a lot of trouble (first proper boss I did) but by the time I beat her I felt I had a good grasp on most of the mechanics. Most of the encounters since have been very manageable once I learnt the attack patterns and I owe it all to the lessons Lady Butterfly taught me.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By tunaburn

im very happy to see most people dont want an easy mode. The entire point of these games is conquering the difficulty. If you cant handle it then the games are not for you. And I personally like the fact that most people wont be able to beat it. I might not beat it myself as the last couple bosses are insanely brutal. But Ill keep at it. Easy mode is the opposite of what these games are about.

I hate the building in fortnite but I dont cry about it. I just dont play it. I wish Mario Odyssey was more difficult but I dont bitch about it. I just move on. If you dont like the difficulty of from games then dont play them. But dont try and change it for the people that do.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Giant_Gamer

With how From games are open to how you approach them right from them beginning, i believe that a lower difficulty would kill the fun factor. Since the lower difficulty won't keep you looking for different approaches of the game and stick to one until the end. This way their game will feel more repetitive.

From games are like puzzle games, where you follow the right steps for you to pass the hurdles you encounter.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#106  Edited By berfunkle

If I had bought the game for the PS4, I probably would have quit. I didn't use the slowdown mod, but I did save scum the hell out of the game. It alleviates the hellish tedium of fighting back to bosses, and more importantly allows me to use special items without the risk of wasting them.

By the by, I know you can save scum on the PS4, but it's extremely convenient on the PC. Alt-F4 when I lose the fight, copy-paste the save game back into folder, start game. I'm back in the action in less than 60 seconds.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
    Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: the quick slash samurai is the perfect example of why this game needs no easy mode and it would detract from the game.

Even more than in souls or bloodborne this game is about trying different aprouches to a fight. Can you beat him by quick deflects? Yes, i did it that way in ng+. The first time he slaughterd me..a lot. And every time i changed my aproach.

I explored more around the castle, found a shield prostetic that both shields you and makes deflecting way easier. And i destroyed him.

Moral of the story:do you need to get "gud" in sekiro? Why yes selfimprovement certainly helps. But if you are no master of the blade yet, all you need to be is smart/creative/open minded/keep your cool and all challanges in the game are doable. This is no starcraft where you need insane apm's to be good at it.

Summary:In sekiro you dont need to get gud, you need to learn to play smart and be patient.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#108  Edited By Seikenfreak

I started my NG+ the other night. Night and day difference. IMO, it really just demonstrates that the game isn't that hard, you as the player just don't understand it yet.

I nearly gave up in the early game on my first playthrough. Now I'm ripping through it like a hot knife through butter. Knowing when and when not to attack. Knowing enemy behavior. Not panicking. Knowing how much stealth killing you can get away with. Yes, I've got all these buffs from the initial playthrough, but I think it's more coming down to the stuff I mentioned. I did the first castle Geni fight in just a couple tries.

It's a very different, much more relaxed run on NG+

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: NG+ had the same effect on me, all those gradual improvements to the way I play really got thrust to the forefront when tearing through enemies/bosses that initially caused me trouble.

I'm sure the upgrades help, I still die quick if I'm getting hit but that rarely happens any more. Such a great feeling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.