Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Racism

Concept »

A weighty real-world issue that some games comment on, often through allegory. Unfortunately, other games can offend players in their depiction of different ethnicities, whether intentionally or not, thus becoming part of the issue themselves.

Seriously though

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ninjadodo

I was watching a review of RE5 on Gametrailers and just stared in disbelief at this game. I dare anyone to show this to a non-gamer and try to explain it.

It's not genocide... They're zombies!

Good luck with that. It's not even about the perceived racism. I object to playing a game where the goal is the mass slaughter of whole villages of poor people whose only crime seems to be disliking you for killing all their friends.... and okay, occasionally they sprout tentacles. I guess that's the zombie part.

Now of course crying "OMG racism!" is cheap and easy - "the demented honking from the politically correct"  - but I also don't understand the people who don't see anything wrong with it. I think N'Gai Croal had a pretty thoughtful analysis up on MTV Multiplayer...

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

I found it hard to work out exactly what side of the fence you are sitting on here. My opinion of it all is kick down the bullshit fence on the RE5 is racist topic and let it die.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

There *is* nothing wrong with it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail

There's a racism page?

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Snipzor
    Snail said:
    "There's a racism page?"
    It also seems as if subby here is the top contributor to said page.
    ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ninjadodo

I'm sitting on the "I don't think it's racist, but try explaining that to normal people"-side... or at least I don't think it's intended as racist. The whole thing is just really very tasteless. Again I'm not so much concerned about the race angle as I'm equally uninterested in RE4... it's more the mindless killing of conveniently de-humanized but still very human-looking enemies. I mean in Left 4 Dead at least they actually look like zombies.

And yes, there is a racism concept page as it's a subject that is occasionally touched on in games (KotOR, The Witcher), but usually with some degree of tact...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.