Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Why Did You Start Playing PUBG?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Why Did You Start Playing PUBG? (269 votes)

Because I saw my favorite twitch streamer/youtuber/giant bomb personality playing it 49%
    Because my friends told me to get it 17%
    Because it was on the Steam Bestseller list 8%
    Because I like H1Z1/DayZ etc. 4%
    I just randomly picked up for no reason whatsoever 2%
    Other/Results 28%
     • 
    nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By nophilip

The idea sounded interesting. I read a lot of coverage on it back when it went Early Access this spring and was intrigued, but it wasn't until the first few GB streams that I was convinced. Haven't stopped playing it since.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never played it. And doubt I ever will.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I saw a few friends on steam playing it and saw it near the top of the charts on steam. I saw the GB quicklook the day it went up and purchased it half way through the video.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By Slag

I wanted to see why ppl were buzzing about it and I wanted a break from Overwatch

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Having played the ARMA mods prior it looked like a fun improvement on those but I generally tend to steer clear of Early Access. I eventually caved when a bunch of my mates got it.

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of my friends had been playing it yet, but people were making a bit a fuss over it, so I figured I'd look into it. Turns out people were making a fuss about it because its a pretty good game.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Strictly a spectator game for me. It looks like fun but I get more enjoyment from watching others play it than I would playing it more than likely.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giantbomb seemed to have a lot of fun with it and I thought I could convince my friends to play it with me. Turns out I couldn't really. Good thing I'm having a lot of fun solo.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Seemed like a lot of fun from GB and was priced well enough.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Tom_omb

Other: I only watch it played on Giant Bomb. Online multiplayer games never really hook me, and I'm kind of sick of them playing it. But I'm still watching.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I wanted Ghost Recon Wildlands to be good.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard a lot about it, then I saw the GB guys play it and that really sold me.

I've always been a fan of 1 life modes in games, but I hardly register multiplayer games anymore, they just aren't on my radar as much, so between the GB guys showing it, and me seeing that it's a massive scale 1 life mode I was pretty sold.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the GB and Waypoint streams. I've put about 13 hours in so far and I think it's a pretty neat game.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple of friends who doesn't play much PC games asked me what's popular nowadays. I bought PUBG and we played a few rounds. I haven't touched it since. I'm not much for multiplayer.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By conmulligan

Because it looked like fun and I like fun.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My group of 15-20 close friends who I generally play multiplayer games with were all playing it at launch (they have also been big into DayZ, H1Z1, Arma, Rust, King of the Kill, etc. in the past), but I never wanted to play any of those games with them because I generally didn't like the pacing nor the ability for other plays to fuck you over just because they decided to when you weren't necessarily looking to fight them. PUBG distilling the experience down into a purely PvP scenario is what sold me on it.

lunacyeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after hearing jeff talk about how much fun he had with it and seeing that first stream where jeff ran over vinny in the buggy i was sold

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching/listening to a bunch of Giant Bomb's coverage of the game, I decided to try it out.

After 4 games of laggy mess, I refunded it.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the Murder Island streams sold me on it but I apparently like watching it more than playing it. I've done maybe 10 matches total and regret the purchase.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Watching the Murder Island streams sold me on it but I apparently like watching it more than playing it. I've done maybe 10 matches total and regret the purchase.

Have you tried different modes? Personally I can't stand solos and never want to play it again, but I have over 250 hours in duos and squads.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TobbRobb

I was exposed to it for months and had seen a good amount of the game from clips by friends and youtube shit. I just eventually got bored of the other games i was playing and gave it a shot. I never gave games like H1Z1 or DayZ a shot because they just look incredibly tedious. PUBG ended up being a decent compromise in game length and arcadey shooting so my eyes didn't just instantly glaze over.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Austin was a guest on the Beastcast talking about it back in April, I was interested, but when I saw the first Murder Island, I knew it was for me. I never seem to get the itch to play it though...

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Yeah, I do think it would be better in duos and squads, but none of my multiplayer friends have gotten it and I don't like playing with complete randoms. If any of them hop on board I'll probably give it another shot.

Mr_Shufu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB's content, and because it's not actually a multiplayer game (in all the ways I don't care for those) when you're solo.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got into it after the early Murder Island streams. Giant Bomb have this bad habit of getting me to buy games with this whole "I could do better than that!" feeling. Sometimes watching them flail about in a game gets me interested enough in its mechanics to want to try it out.

Sadly, and I should have known this going in, the shooting in PUBG is so out of my wheelhouse that I really hate it after about 40 hours. It doesn't help that the performance and netcode make any close-range encounter a slideshow. I just can't snipe to save my life... not without some kind of aim assist.

I only feel bad about getting into it because I planted the seed in my friend group on it, and now it's all they want to play and I can't stand it, lol.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I knew about it because of GB. I really enjoyed the Murder Island streams. Then I watched some Twitch streamers as well, who were completely owning the playingfield. So I was like; "that looks like fun, I can do that". I was wrong, I get slapped around all the time.
    But playing it with friends is still a lot of fun, always good for some laughs.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the Quicklook

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the first stream from la bomba gigante

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure it was a Fahey article over at Kotaku, but that can't be right. Fahey only writes about oreos, erotic anime puzzle games and keyboards.

Avatar image for brunohlferreira
    brunohlferreira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was only playing DayZ but it was getting worse at every patch so I gave pubg a try... Never went back.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

I wanted to put my hands on it after Giant Bomb and the rest of the Internet fell for it so hard. Picked it up even knowing I always fall off multiplayer games within a few weeks and wouldn't really play it enough to make it worth buying. As expected, I played it a handful of times and haven't touched it since. It was neat to mess around with and I could see what was special about it, but I probably could have spent the $30 on something better.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a lot of ARMA. Is my other option.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I loved Day Z mod on Arma II, so this got my attention after the quick look (almost did not watch because of the generic name). Also used it as an excuse to buy a gaming PC, which I wanted for a while since my laptop couldn't handle recent games.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because GB. Not crazy about the game tbh, it's a very average shooter with a couple neat ideas I guess. Meh

slaughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I saw it played on GB and on another site (Rage Select), I knew I wanted it.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think I started hearing about the game from YouTube and social media. Bought it. Played it for about 20 hours in Solo and Duo. Each hour that passed was far worse than the previous ones. Quit the game, asked Valve to have it removed it from my account, never looked back.

I don't think I've ever had such a strong averse reaction to a video game in all my life. The gameplay, the easthetics, the community, the developer... everything about it makes me grind my teeth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2da3c0c0c3a
    deactivated-5a2da3c0c0c3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to try it just because of Player Unknown, i loved his mods for Arma 3. So i bought it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bybeach

I could not bring myself to mark the first choice. I do not have any favorite streamer, twitcher or so on, that I follow.

I do have the Gb staff who I do value in the main, and the GB users themselves. A number of threads that made me be aware there actually may be an accessible multiplayer game that I may like.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because i follow video game news and Player Unknown was putting out his own game, worth taking a look at.
    I didn't buy into the early early access, i picked it up after it came to Steam.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brother told me to get it so we could play together. Was fun, but i have a habit of dropping off most multiplayer only games within 40 to 60 hours, this happened with PUBG as well around the 48th hour mark. Feel like i got everything from it i needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.