Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 11, 2006

Aliens turned Tommy's world upside down. It's about time he returned the favor.

This game gets a bad rap around here.

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Specifically I am referring to multiple instances of Patrick singling out Prey on the Bombcast as a bad game or his most recent mention of wishing Tommy (protagonist from Prey 1) wasn't in Prey 2.

I'm curious as to how many others feel this way because I am really not sure if the wool was just pulled over my eyes for this game and its story. I was completely captivated by Tommy's heritage and his hesitancy to accept the old traditions espoused by his grandfather. The moment Tommy begins to embrace his culture (and a new game mechanic) felt like something games rarely even attempt to do and I think Prey does it very well.

I'm not saying Prey is great because its hero is a Native American, but I do think that aspect to the game is something that makes Prey unique and brave. It's entirely possible that I just "don't get" what the game did wrong or where it fell apart... that I blindly followed the path and believed Tommy for what he was. But if that's the case I'm curious what discredited the story and Tommy for those that didn't like the game.

I do understand that the gameplay wasn't stellar, but between it playing FINE, the organic squishy weapon designs, the creepy-as-fuck enemies, and the pre-Portal portal mechanics, I found the gameplay to be a completely engrossing experience.

I know no one's opinion is wrong in a discussion like this (except yours), and my genuine appreciation for Prey is just as valid as the hate put on it. I would just like to know if there was a glaring problem that anyone has with the game that I for some reason overlooked. I tend to not question a story as it comes to me which leads me to think less critically about it as it is happens... interestingly this had the pleasant side effect of me absolutely enjoying the end of Mass Effect 3 and escaping being part of the internet-wide butthurt.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think their main point was that Prey 2 was (at the time) looking pretty good, and anything that shackled it to a game that didn't do anything particularly interesting or sell particularly well would just be holding the game back. The Human Head guys kept bringing up Tommy as a link between the two vastly different games as some sort of feature.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@cooljammer00 said:

I think their main point was that Prey 2 was (at the time) looking pretty good, and anything that shackled it to a game that didn't do anything particularly interesting or sell particularly well would just be holding the game back. The Human Head guys kept bringing up Tommy as a link between the two vastly different games as some sort of feature.

The game had portals before Portal.

But okay then.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00 said:

But okay then.

But it didn't really DO anything with them.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Prey also had parts where you walk around on tiny spherical planets before Mario Galaxy. I may be biased or remembering incorrectly but any game that has sections in zero gravity has something going for it. I thought the gravity stuff they did in that game was incredible.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

I have 1000 achievements in it. Proudly!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

(and I loved the Mass Effect 3 ending!)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon said:

@cooljammer00 said:

But okay then.

You're right. I must have imagined those puzzles that really fucked with the player's spacial awareness and sense of scale. My favourite imaginary moment was this:

Loading Video...

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00 said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@cooljammer00 said:

But okay then.

You're right. I must have imagined those puzzles that really fucked with the player's spacial awareness and sense of scale. My favourite imaginary moment was this:

Loading Video...

Hmm, that looked a bit disorienting. Also, I was just making assumptions based on the public reaction to Prey. Why do people bitch about it if it did some decent looking things?

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, that looked a bit disorienting. Also, I was just making assumptions based on the public reaction to Prey. Why do people bitch about it if it did some decent looking things?

Prey was in the oven too long and at best it was kind-of-cool. I sorta liked it, it was interesting enough when I played it. It's not really a valid focus of bitching beyond how much some people were maybe looking forward to it.

If you have an eye for the weird and you come across a copy for $5 it's a neat playthrough

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00: I honestly don't know why people around here dislike it. It was a fun shooter that had some inventive ideas. I vaguely remember Jeff calling it a decent (or in his words "okay") game. That's practically a five star review from the guy.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can say I enjoyed Prey. As it's been said it was not the most innovative game. But it did do a few things interesting and fun with some of the mechanics. It made an attempt to not have regen health but still not limiting the player using a medpac system. Also as bad as the framerates was in the multiplayer I really enjoyed it. The concept of people being on the walls, roofs and floors shooting at you was fun.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked prey, but all I can say is "vagina doors"

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It got overshadowed by HL: Episode 1 when it came out, and the PS3/Wii launch later in the year. While the shooting action wasn't particulary engaging, I thought there were a lot of creative mechanics (portals, spirit walking puzzles) to make up for it. And the Native American angle was very refreshing and didn't feel exploitative. I like Prey, it had a lot of heart.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think it's kind of a game with lots of cool, interesting pieces, which put together weren't all that great (or as good as they should have been) and have since been done better in other, better games.

Also, a fucking Native American protagonist, holy shit is that an unrepresented demographic.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The parts with Art Bell on the radio talking about the alien invasion was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a game, but I love Art Bell. He is a legend.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yep, Prey was cool.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By devilzrule27

Lots of perfectly serviceable games get a bum rap by the GB crew. A lot of times if a game doesn't satisfy their specific taste in games they say it sucks, even if it is a competent game, and that's perfectly fine. We all do it.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By Hamst3r

I liked Prey quite a bit. I found it interesting overall with some really neat gameplay ideas.

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I checked this thread for two months before I gave up on it. Just came back to see there are others who are down with Prey :) Good to see. Feeling validated.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea i played prey, did i enjoy the game?... yes,yes i did. did not know that there was no love for the game here, learn something new every day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.