Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 11, 2006

Aliens turned Tommy's world upside down. It's about time he returned the favor.

Prey -- Am I nuts?

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By HumanityPlague

So, I ordered a copy of Prey (new, PC version) off Ebay a few days ago for about 6 bucks.  You might ask "What the fuck?"  Well, the reason is because Steam decided to delete the game from their service (to buy, specifically), since they ran out of CD Keys during their Christmas sale from 2009.  Since then the title has been unavailable for purchase from Steam, with them later quietly removing the store page altogether.

However, you could previously buy the game from GamersGate, get the cd key, plug it into Steam, and add the cd key into your Steam games list.  But, GG took the game down also.  There's a few other sites that let you buy a digital copy (Gamestop has it for 20$, and some British site had it for 10 pounds), but it's still kind of insane.

So, I bought a new (hopefully) copy of the 2 CD version of Prey off Ebay, JUST to get it's cd key to plug it into Steam, so it's added to my games list.  That is officially going off the deep end, I imagine, for the sake of my Steam account.  Especially since the game is 4$ from Gamestop, for the 360.

The final thing is, I like Prey's idea's, some of the weapons/ship is cool, and I think the beginning 10 minutes are amazing, but that's about it.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HumanityPlague

So, I ordered a copy of Prey (new, PC version) off Ebay a few days ago for about 6 bucks.  You might ask "What the fuck?"  Well, the reason is because Steam decided to delete the game from their service (to buy, specifically), since they ran out of CD Keys during their Christmas sale from 2009.  Since then the title has been unavailable for purchase from Steam, with them later quietly removing the store page altogether.

However, you could previously buy the game from GamersGate, get the cd key, plug it into Steam, and add the cd key into your Steam games list.  But, GG took the game down also.  There's a few other sites that let you buy a digital copy (Gamestop has it for 20$, and some British site had it for 10 pounds), but it's still kind of insane.

So, I bought a new (hopefully) copy of the 2 CD version of Prey off Ebay, JUST to get it's cd key to plug it into Steam, so it's added to my games list.  That is officially going off the deep end, I imagine, for the sake of my Steam account.  Especially since the game is 4$ from Gamestop, for the 360.

The final thing is, I like Prey's idea's, some of the weapons/ship is cool, and I think the beginning 10 minutes are amazing, but that's about it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

So you went to great lengths just to add a game to your steam list that you barely like. Seems about right. 

Steam strikes again.  :P

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say or ask here, but I recently bought the game from eBay too...and personally, I thought it was wonderful. To me it was kind of like Bioshock + Portal, before Bioshock or Portal. Sure it wasn't nearly as good as either of those games, but it was still great. Perhaps my main gripes with the game were that the environments could have been more diverse and the ship could have been more lively. There could have been audio logs or more characters you could interact with; anyway, It certainty didn't seem like a ship that was full of millions (?) of abducted people. Also, I think it would have been nice if each level had its own distinct 'feel' or unique idea; a lot of the time it felt pretty arbitrary when one level ended and the next one began. 

Regardless, I liked it a lot :o

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

I really liked the game. It was totally weird and something different. That reminds me though, I need to find this game for the 360 and replay it, before I played it on an SD TV.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJWeatherman said:
    " So you went to great lengths just to add a game to your steam list that you barely like. Seems about right.  Steam strikes again.  :P "
    Tell me about it...
    loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#6  Edited By loopy_101

Do you reckon it is worth getting Saints Row 2 just to use the CD Key on Steam? I'm aware it is a shitty port but I feel like replaying it.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HumanityPlague

@loopy_101: Saint's Row 2 is on Steam? I think it is, anyway. Yeah, it's on there for 15 bucks. And yes, it's a VERY shite port.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

@HumanityPlague said:

@loopy_101: Saint's Row 2 is on Steam? I think it is, anyway. Yeah, it's on there for 15 bucks. And yes, it's a VERY shite port.

Saint's Row 2 is on PC?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By laserbolts
    I still haven't finished prey but I can remember it being pretty enjoyable. Prey 2 looks pretty different though so I'm not sure why it's called prey.
    loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#10  Edited By loopy_101
    @HumanityPlague said:

Yeah it has been there for a while but it was on the list of games where you can use your CD Key on a retail copy to activate the steam version, akin to Prey.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.