Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Does it seem tiring when other non vita owners claim this system is dead because of Sony?

• 54 results
    BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

The Nintendo Switch was the final nail in the coffin. It's taken its one remaining niche away from the Vita as an indie portable and as the hardware continues to age and the install base continues to decline there will be far less indies coming out. Hardware wise it's arguably the finest portable ever made, and it had it's place in history, but be real here... it's as good as dead.

I wish the Switch was more like the Vita. Try fitting that monstrosity in your pocket, I dare you.

The Vita isnt dead, it is on life support though unfortunately.

EnomotoShards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@boozak said:
    @yesiamaduck said:

The Nintendo Switch was the final nail in the coffin. It's taken its one remaining niche away from the Vita as an indie portable and as the hardware continues to age and the install base continues to decline there will be far less indies coming out. Hardware wise it's arguably the finest portable ever made, and it had it's place in history, but be real here... it's as good as dead.

I wish the Switch was more like the Vita. Try fitting that monstrosity in your pocket, I dare you.

The Vita isnt dead, it is on life support though unfortunately.

Life support is the proper word to describe it, not dead.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@enomotoshards said:

Are you sure you guys have been doing some research thoroughly or do you perceive what articles including clickbait journalism say plus taking people opinions and using them as your own instead of forming your own?

@enomotoshards said:

@liquiddragon They do mention it at the PlayStation event called PlayStation Experience. There is one coming tomorrow hosted in an Asian country in malaysia. Why not do your research on that before dismissing any negative closed minded thought that the vita is not on Sony's top priority.

Look at all the PlayStation Experience press conferences and they too will mention the vita... I really think people should do more research on this.

I love that you're super passionate about the Vita but I'm sure the people who already cares about it has already done the research and made up their mind. Is the goal here to enlighten those who you think have been misinformed and misled? If so then I think you should soften your stance a bit and make it even easier for them by posting any other relevant videos and numbers you think might be helpful in making your case rather than berating them for not having done the proper research.

I don't have a Vita. I don't have anything against it. I do have a 3DS though. And it's not because I was under the misconception that the Vita didn't have legs. It's just that my friends and I wanted to play smash bros. and mario kart together so that's where we spent our handheld console dollars.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@yesiamaduck said:
    @enomotoshards said:
    @yesiamaduck said:

It has a high attach rate though from select vita owners that buy it for jrpgs and indies as well as western ports of other games that are on other platforms...

Do you have the sales data to back that up? I tried to find out how many units games are shifting on the system in 2017 but found nothing.

I am talking about In general actually. Just look at twitter and type #PSVita on the search. You will see some people appreciative about the system and the games and most of them are willing to put a picture uploaded there as proof. It is a vocal small community for a more passionate reason. That is all I can say on that.

You berate others for just swallowing what articles tell them and tell people do some research and when I ask 'Where's the sales data to confirm the high attachment rate' you ask me to search twitter for tweets of people buying games. I doubt the number of tweets will come close to the number of ps vita units sold so cut this 'do your research' schtick out.

Stefarno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Vita is easily my favourite platform since at least the PS2 - it's the system that reignited my interest in gaming. It is basically the perfect portable system for me - I'm a huge fan of JRPGs, visual novels and rhythm games. But most people aren't.

The majority of the games from major series on Vita were either downright rubbish (Call of Duty, Silent Hill, Ridge Racer, Resistance), mediocre (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Wipeout), or bad ports (Borderlands, Resident Evil, God of War).

It is easy to blame Sony for ditching the Vita quickly, and I could probably write 10,000 words about their mistakes or missed opportunities, but that ignores for how long they kept supporting the PSP in the West after sales had slumped and it was suffering from widespread piracy.

One thing Sony did do with their games was be very half-hearted with the support they gave to the Vita/PSP - often it was the B-team making a spin-off rather than adding an essential chapter of a franchise. How much more appealing would an Uncharted 4 or Killzone 4 have been on Vita instead of Uncharted: Golden Abyss or Killzone: Mercenary?

As to if the Vita is 'dead' - personally I'll be sticking with my Vita for some time to come, but to most people it probably is dead to them. There are plenty of Vita games I'm looking forward to - Danganronpa V3, Chaos;Child, Ys VIII, 13 Sentinels, the Persona Dancing Games, Demon Gaze II, Summon Night 6. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth and the new Digimon Story (plus indies like Cosmic Star Heroine, Shakedown Hawaii, Undertale and VA-11 HALL-A) - but these are niche games and you can play all of them elsewhere.

-----

Regarding the attach rate, I think stems from what Sony stated back at E3 2013 - https://youtu.be/DmoZAPDV3ew?t=38m55s - and some anecdotal comments from some publishers/devs indicating that the Vita versions have done much better in comparison to the size of the userbase than you would expect. As for which versions of cross-buy purchases are counted, I believe it counts the sale towards which is downloaded first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.