Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation TV Support

Concept »

The PlayStation TV is a media streaming device based on the PS Vita. It can play many (though not all) Vita game cards, as well as supporting some PSN games and PS4 Remote Play.

What the heck, Sony?

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I pre-ordered a Playstation TV way back when they first announced it was coming out in the US on Amazon... then promptly forgot I had pre-ordered it until it showed up at my home.

I already owned a Vita with a 32GB memory card (which are WAY expensive!) so the lack of a large memory card for the PSTV and the odd restriction of games that could actually run on the PSTV PLUS the lack of any real streaming TV apps basically frustrated me into throwing it into the closet for a couple years.

So I've been thinking about signing up for Playstation Vue and set up a trial and watched some TV on the PS4. GREAT STUFF!

Today I remember I own the PSTV, so I dig it out of the closet and hook it up in the bedroom thinking, "This'll be great to use to have PSTV in the bedroom as well." Not so fast... not only have Sony killed this thing off apparently... they don't even have a Playstation Vue app for the damn thing?

Holy shit, WHAT exactly is this device good for?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Playing Persona 4 Golden on a TV... and not much else.

Oh, maybe putting cfw on it and using it as an emulation box?

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, if you have it on 3.60, you can put cfw so you can use usb hard drives and play homebrew/emulation/digital games you can cram in it. Other than that, i dunno since arent they also killing PS Now support for it?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Sony is pretty notorious for creating new hardware and dropping support near immediately. It really sucks because I think some of their devices are really good. The Vita of course being one of the prime examples of this. It did have a lot of promise and some of the games developed specifically for it, like Murasaki Baby, but again support was dropped so quickly it became a really great indie machine without much else going for it. I'm not very surprised to see the PSTV was unceremoniously discarded the same way. It didn't even wind up being able to play THAT many Vita games so it basically existed to play the best version of Persona 4 on a tv, as someone alluded to above.

I do wonder if the PSTV did better in Japan, where it was released under the name Vita TV.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not really good for anything. That's why you had it buried in a closet for months, remember?

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why buy Playstation TV when you have a tv that you play playstation on?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think it's neat as a mini-PS1.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rethla said:
    @rebel_scum said:

Well yeah :)

I still think it's neat as a mini-PS1.

Hang on, what the fuck is a PS TV?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@rebel_scum: I cant tell if you are just messing around or mistaking it for the 3D TV, but this thread is linked to the Wiki for it. Basically just a gutted Vita that can be hooked up to a TV.

The idea of the PSTV was nice, but it never had any video apps. I would have probably bought one or two of these things at launch, rather then the three Roku's i did get if it had some decent stuff on it. But when not even Netflix works on the device you call a "PlayStation TV" you dun fucked up. So it basically is a Persona/PS1/Remote Play box for me. Glad i only paid $30 for it, which came with a DualShock 3 and some Vita games, so not a bad deal at all for that.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FrostyRyan

the reason to buy a pstv is so you have a cheaper alternative to playing Persona 4 Golden

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

the reason to buy a pstv is so you have a cheaper alternative to playing Persona 4 Golden

Basically this. Mine cost me £20 brand new. I downloaded a few cross buy games I already had on my account but don't think I ever played them. Once I was done with P4 it went back in its box.

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it's literally called PlaystationTV, how the fuck can you not "TV" on it... like Playstation Vue?

As for why did I buy it, I heard the GB crew talking about the VitaTV version of it, and importing it... they thought it would be a cool device, so I bought one.

Apparently Sony had better ideas.

Oh, as for the firmware, as soon as I plugged it up and signed it it told me I had to update, so I did. It's at the latest version now and it doesn't seem like I can hack it now or anything.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought one of these because I only own a PS4 and wanted to play some PS1 Classics, and this seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to do that. So far so good. I think the PS1 games look a lot better however if I bump the resolution down to 480p.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

I got one like a rube at launch thinking I would play some vita games on my tv/ at my now wife's place. It stinks .

Recently though never playing any of the Persona series, i've been contemplating P4 Golden for it. Thats about it...

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also since this plays PSP original games I'll probably end up playing War of the Lions and/or FFIV complete on this thing at some point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.