Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation TV Support

Concept »

The PlayStation TV is a media streaming device based on the PS Vita. It can play many (though not all) Vita game cards, as well as supporting some PSN games and PS4 Remote Play.

Playstation TV as a replacement Vita?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

Edit: Check the latest post for an update.

"I wanted to bump this thread as game have a sale on the Vita TV for £45 today only (normally £85). For perspective, Sony want £120 to repair my Vita and a new Vita will cost me £140.

Based on this, would it be a good idea to get a Vita TV?"

My vita fell off the bed and got a tiny crack under the screen. Now the screen doesn't turn on at all. I called Sony and they want £120 to fix the screen which is almost the same price as a new Vita, though I have seen them on sale even cheaper than the repair cost. I'd almost rather buy a new one than pay for a repair. Fixing it myself doesn't seem like a great option since the screens themselves cost a fair bit and the work seems too fiddly for me though I would be happy to take advice on this.

I was wondering if instead of repair, buying a Vita TV might be a cheaper alternative. I do not use my Vita on the go. I play in bed mostly, and when Persona 4 Golden came out I would play it sat in front of my TV anyway. I don't need any of the TV streaming capabilities. Don't use remote play. All my games are digital. All are PS Plus games except for Persona 4 Golden.

What would I be missing out on by not getting a vita? How is the touch screen emulation? Are the graphics really horrible upscaled on a TV? Would I lose anything by just putting the memory stick in to a PS TV? I can't backup the data on my vita because the screen doesn't work. I don't really know what I should do.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Make sure your games are compatible - there are some big holes in the compatibility list.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By recroulette

I think the PSTV is great as long as the games you have are compatible. The menu looks terrible on the TV and is a pain to manage, but the games I've played looked fine. The thing goes on sale quite often though, so if you can wait a bit, you can get it for pretty cheap. I put in my memory card from my Vita into the system and it worked fine, just had to sign into PSN but everything worked. You'll have to reorganize your menu and wallpapers though.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Sterling

Not sure about touch emulation, haven't played any games that required it. Most of those games are not compatible. And yes there is a small list of games that actually work on the TV. As for graphics, that depends on the TV, how large it is and how blown up the image gets.

I personally do not like the PS TV. It doesn't play all the games I own. I have issues with losing controller sync often. The store seems to lock up or kick me out often. It looks like crap on my 50" TV in full scale. I have to put it in what it calls PC mode, and it shrinks the screen down to about a 36" display area. And the main reason I bought mine was for the PS4 remote play. Which is super laggy and makes playing most games impossible.

I would highly recommend just getting another vita.

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Oobir

There are a number of games that don't work on PSTV, including Gravity Rush and the MGS Collection. Check this list for more info: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376/~/games-compatible-with-playstation-tv

I use a PS4 controller, so touch screen controls work pretty well for me. I've never tried it with a PS3 controller, which I'd imagine is more awkward with its use of the right stick to simulate touch.

The graphics definitely take a hit, though it's more noticeable on PSP games than on proper Vita games. From my experience, P4G still looks good despite the more prominent aliasing, and Binding of Isaac is dark enough to hide its flaws. As for the memory card, just stick it in the PSTV and you should be set to go.

Before getting one, I'd make sure that being anchored to a TV fits how you play the Vita. Like you, I stayed pretty much near my TV with the Vita. However, I found there were times when having even a small amount of mobility would have been ideal, like if I wanted to sit on my bed to play or if I wanted to watch something on TV while playing. They're the same caveats that come with any console, of course, but the switch from mobile to fixed should be considered.

Overall, I'd recommend it. The PS TV is dirt-cheap and can play most of the games on the platform, and I'd rather use a PS3/Ps4 controller than Vita controls any day of the week.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's fine. The PSTV works with most games you would want to play (the only notable one that doesn't is Gravity Rush) and those games work perfectly.

It looks ok but not great on big TVs. You can just put in your memory card from the Vita and it will go.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't play on a giant TV and check the compatibility of your games. Do that and you should be set.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671: My TV is 32'' but I sit right in front of it at a desk.

How can I wipe the system? I mean, I've removed the memory card but I'm going to sell the system for parts and I don't want my account to be on there if the buyer repairs the screen.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Here's the info from Sony on it. Sounds difficult to do without the screen working. You can also format it, but again, you've a broken screen so you'll need to figure out how to get to the settings menu and then the number of button presses you need and the order to do them in to get it to work.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to bump this thread as game have a sale on the Vita TV for £45 today only (normally £85). For perspective, Sony want £120 to repair my Vita and a new Vita will cost me £140.

Based on this, would it be a good idea to get a Vita TV?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not all games are compatible with Vita TV... Well that goes without saying, but this alone is a deal breaker for some. Also, some games were patched to work with the TV in Japan, but not in the west, I hear the Ys game is one such case.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For £45 it seems worth it if,

- You know which of your current games are compatible and any which aren't you don't care about.
    - You accept some games will look a bit worse on a bigger screen, such as old PSOne games.
    - You can look down the line and see any future PS+ games that might not work on it.
    - You don't care about not being able to play it on a train/plane/auto-mobile.

If enough of those conditions are satisfied for you I don't think you'll get a better deal than that any time soon.

I think it's safe to assume from now on new game will ever come on the Vita that won't work on the Vita TV because of hardware.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish:

I only really plan on using it to replay Persona 4 Golden and maybe a few others. My main concern is that it will look bad but I suppose I can take that risk for £45. I just bought one. Thanks!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Most reports of it say games like P4G and other Vita games look just fine on bigger TVs, they look a little worse than on a Vita screen but nothing that's completely unplayable. Older games, like PS1 and PSP games are were you'll notice image stretching a lot more.

Enjoy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.