Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Minis

Concept »

Bite size games for the PSP and the PSPgo.

New PS3 Firmware Enables PSP minis, Better Data Transfer

• 65 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    This image says
    This image says "minis" right on it. 
    When I bought a new, slim PlayStation 3, I had to go through the data transfer process by backing up everything to an external hard drive. What they didn't tell you, though, is that a lot of that data is "protected," meaning it can't be transferred between consoles... it's only there as a backup. I ended up redownloading everything I've ever downloaded on a PS3, a process that I'd classify as "a pain in the ass."

Well, you new-fangled kids with your new-fangled Internet will never know my pain, as PlayStation 3 firmware 3.15 will add a new, proper data transfer utility. It involves connecting the two consoles together with an Ethernet cable, transferring everything, and then "activating" the new system with your account information. Man... this would have been nice to have a few months ago.

That's one of my personal PS3 gripes corrected, but the real news coming out of this optional firmware update is that it'll enable PSP minis--the inexpensive and "small" PSP games that were released alongside the PSPgo--to be played on a PlayStation 3. This doesn't mean you can run right out and play those games today, though. This update paves the way for minis support, but according to the official PlayStation blog, the PS3 versions of the minis will be available for download "in the coming weeks."

Does this mean that PS3s are now executing PSP code? If they're just emulating the PSP on the PS3, I hope this leads to full-on PSP emulation. Sure, I can already take my PSPgo, sync up a PS3 controller to it, and connect the whole thing to a TV, but actually eradicating the PSP hardware entirely would be pretty cool, too. Obviously, in cases where a game is available on both platforms (like Tekken 6), playing a PSP version on a PS3 is pretty silly. But there are plenty of PSP-only games that'd benefit from a wider base of hardware that plays PSP games.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    This image says
    This image says "minis" right on it. 
    When I bought a new, slim PlayStation 3, I had to go through the data transfer process by backing up everything to an external hard drive. What they didn't tell you, though, is that a lot of that data is "protected," meaning it can't be transferred between consoles... it's only there as a backup. I ended up redownloading everything I've ever downloaded on a PS3, a process that I'd classify as "a pain in the ass."

Well, you new-fangled kids with your new-fangled Internet will never know my pain, as PlayStation 3 firmware 3.15 will add a new, proper data transfer utility. It involves connecting the two consoles together with an Ethernet cable, transferring everything, and then "activating" the new system with your account information. Man... this would have been nice to have a few months ago.

That's one of my personal PS3 gripes corrected, but the real news coming out of this optional firmware update is that it'll enable PSP minis--the inexpensive and "small" PSP games that were released alongside the PSPgo--to be played on a PlayStation 3. This doesn't mean you can run right out and play those games today, though. This update paves the way for minis support, but according to the official PlayStation blog, the PS3 versions of the minis will be available for download "in the coming weeks."

Does this mean that PS3s are now executing PSP code? If they're just emulating the PSP on the PS3, I hope this leads to full-on PSP emulation. Sure, I can already take my PSPgo, sync up a PS3 controller to it, and connect the whole thing to a TV, but actually eradicating the PSP hardware entirely would be pretty cool, too. Obviously, in cases where a game is available on both platforms (like Tekken 6), playing a PSP version on a PS3 is pretty silly. But there are plenty of PSP-only games that'd benefit from a wider base of hardware that plays PSP games.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

sweet

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza

That's pretty cool. I am glad they sorted out the data transfer stuff for the people that have to go through it. Also, that would be pretty cool if you could play full PSP games on a PS3. Maybe then I would actually finish one of those PSP JRPG's since there would be no more neck cramps from staring over a tiny screen for hours on end.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By thecleric

The only way I see that happening is if PSP just finally eats dirt, then they just put up a PSP emulator in the PS3 and run it off that. 

Would be nice, but money wise I don't see it happening.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mosdl

Maybe that explains why the PSP GOW game didn't make it into the PS3 release of the ps2 games

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I certainly hope this means playing PSP games on the PS3 without the PSP hardware.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond

I'd love full PSP emulation on PS3, but right now I'd suspect they're compiling special PS3 versions of these PSP Minis.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FCKSNAP

Just when why PS3s Bluray drive eats it, they come out with this! I should probably just get it fixed instead of buying another one though.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By PJ

Doesnt having the minis playable on the PS3 defeat the whole point whit the minis?

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nanikore
    @PJ: Minis on a 62 incher! It's still small, right?
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

It just wouldn't be the same playing all PSP games on a TV with a controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing as I will not buy a psp without a second thumbstick, It would be awesome If I could play psp games with my ps3 especially since I can buy and download them to my ps3 already. 

Arcaed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arcaed
    @blaakmawf:  You are aware that even with emulation software, the second analog wouldn't work right? That would require changing the code of the game. Just saying, you'd still be stuck with one stick.
    guilherme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By guilherme

I want to play Half Minute Hero! but I guess that's not included...
    If they allowed to play any PSP games on the PS3, then the PSP would have one more console to "compete" with...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Snail

I might just get Tetris then.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

Interesting... I cannot see them bringing full PSP support over to PS3 though.  

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Skald
    @Jeff said:
    "
    "
    Been there, done that. Yes, "a pain in the ass" is an accurate synopsis.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust
    @Linkyshinks:   

I agree since it would remove any reason for owning a PSP other than the portability.  While that is a nice feature, I tend to play even my portable games at home.  I doubt I am alone in this.  Still, how sweet would it be to play Persona and (eventually) Persona 3 Portable on the PS3?
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FunExplosions

Nice. I had to re-purchase Super Stardust HD and PAIN awhile back. I don't know why I bought PAIN again...

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Lilarcor

I don't own either of the Sony platforms right now, but I plan to buy a PS3 eventually, and it'd be nice to be able to buy the PSP games I've missed out on without having to shell out for that system too. So I hope they do this, but I don't know how likely it honestly is.

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Pkshields

Being able to play the Minis on PS3 for some reason kinda justifies the complaints about a higher price point than iPhone for me. It will definitely make me even consider buying a mini now.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By aurahack

Woo. FINALLY I can play Tetris.

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jos1ah

Dunno what PSPminis are good, but I hope they do make full-fledged PSP games available on the PS3 as I have no intention of getting a PSP itself, but would like to play a couple of the games. Mainly, Chains of Olympus and the Loco Roco games.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Mushir

This is the first time I hear about PSPminis. Frankly, the name sounds kinda stupid.

brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By brocool

Yeah i remember that rant you had on the bombcast about this issue.. glad to see its fixed,

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By radion_null

Aww. beat me to the punch kind Sir. I wonder if that is a good move from Sony to allow for PSP games to play on PS3. It may allow for an increase in software sales but won't that impact hardware sales?

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Th3_James

sounds like a sweet feature, considering that i am gonna buy a ps3 slim for my living room soon, got my fat one in my bedroom

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I hope this is set to come out before christmas.

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kagekage

Then the only use of a PSP would be portability. And I don't think that the PSP needs anything that'll hurt its sales any further.

CrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CrazedJoker
    @kagekage:  Play-Station-PORTABLE! That's its purpose.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#31  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd love full-on PSP emulation software.  Man, there are some great games for that system I'd like to get caught up on - Joanne d'Arc and Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core come immediately to mind.
    EvangelBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EvangelBlue

This is great. Though i'm still waiting for the private ingame chat function....

niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By niall077

psp emulation on ps3? 

well isnt the psp a portable ps2?    

PS2 EMULATION COMING TO PS3 CONFIRMED!!!1!

someone get kotaku on the phone
    KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By KinjiroSSD

At what point do you ask yourself why you bought a portable system

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By epgpx

"Does this mean that PS3s are now executing PSP code? If they're just emulating the PSP on the PS3, I hope this leads to full-on PSP emulation  " 

Me too but it'll never happen because if it would then nobody would buy a PSP. Developers wouldn't need to make games for PSP anymore when they can just make games for the PS3 PSN. Basically, if it were to happen, this would seriously hurt the PSP profitably.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Yet another update that doesn't appeal to me. 

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Keeng

I imagine if that ever happened they would somehow make it so that you needed a PSP to do it. But, more than anything, I imagine that won't ever happen, regardless of the fact that I really want it to.

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spike94

Yes. I hope they do the full PSP thing, that'd be way amazing. 
    Other than that, yeah that's cool. I'm sure I'll find a Mini I'll enjoy. Won't buy anything soon, but I'm sure something will come up, or is already there that I don't know about. Anyways, sweet.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#39  Edited By Brackynews
    @Jeff: Somehow I don't think "eradicating the PSP hardware entirely" will turn up in a future firmware readme.  :D

I'm sure this move is purely to appease PSP Mini developers by giving them a larger customer base.  They are charging more for their Mini applets than they can get away with on the iPhone platform, because of the audience size and paying big for ESRB cert.  A more expensive version of the same game will take longer to recoup the "admission" fee on a portable install base measured in fractions by comparison.... I don't imagine the PSP sales alone will justify the dev kit.

If the ESRB ever gets claim over the App Store games, I think we'll see most of the crap disappear overnight.  
    (Feel free to replace "crap" with "unsung innovation" if you wish. ;)
    Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Duckbutter
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " Yet another update that doesn't appeal to me.  "
    true dat, but ya can't deny that its impressive for Sony to upgrade the PS3 damn near every month. 
    its like a free repair man visiting every month and saying "yea i made you hear a little bit better and i made your cock a little bigger. i'll be back next month and work on your smell."
    those other 2 consoles upgrade like what? 6 months to a year? lame.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By animateria
     "Can playing full-fledged PSP games on a PS3 be far behind? "

This. I want this!
    RisingRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RisingRaiden

AWESOME!!!!! I might still have a chance to play MGS Peace Walker!!!!!!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By TheHT

Removing PSP exclusivity would be a bizarre move, albeit one that many PS3 owners would be happy though essentially removing any need to get a psp, unless they want to play games on the go. :\

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By killroycantkill

I would like it is they made it so that putting in an old hard drive into a new PS3 dosen't automatically reformat it. That way I  could get all my old save files back from my broken 60 gig. I wonder if there is a way to hook it us to a comp using an external rig or something. I really want my 100% Prototype file back and all my PS2 saves.

Kilnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kilnik

Finally I'll be able to play Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble on the PS3!
    ...Maybe.

squidracerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By squidracerx

will this still work with a "backup" on an old drive external though? what if my current ps3 breaks, that whole transfer from an OLD one to a NEW one doesn't help unless i had that old data somewhere else... really why else would i  buy a new ps3? unless this way you could have 2 ps3's in your house and have the same data on both, but i highly doubt that.....  anyway id put my data on an external now if it would work that way....

anyone who knows message me please! 

squidracerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By squidracerx
    @niall077 said:
    "
    psp emulation on ps3? 

well isnt the psp a portable ps2?    

PS2 EMULATION COMING TO PS3 CONFIRMED!!!1!

someone get kotaku on the phone "
    I'd like that myself (i have a 60gb so i have the ps2 on my ps3 anyway), but it doesn't sound like psp emulation yet unfortunately, it sounds like ps3 versions of the mini's... they haven't mentioned any games. i bet it will get there one day though. I loved my gba player on my gamecube! Lets cross our fingers!
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By ch13696

Or better yet. Port the PSP games to PS2 like they did with some games. Thats how I got Jak & Daxter The Lost Frontier.

SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE

I'm getting the New PS3 250gb system 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Milkman

What's the point of the PSP even existing anymore?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.