Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Wifi faster than wired

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone else experienced this? I finally got fed up after a second session where a friend and I tried to playshare wouldn't work at all and disconnected my ethernet.

I ran the tests on the system multiple times before and after switching to wi-fi, and while the download speed was negligible, my upload consistently clocked in around 3x fast over wi-fi.

Anyone else experienced this? It's so bizzare.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've only noticed a speed increase over wired. Are you using a PS4 pro or the standard?

I'd encourage you to try a different ethernet cable, it might be an issue of having a bad connector or some internal damage.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I also recommend trying a different cable. I'm going to make a broad statement and say that wired should almost always perform better unless you are impossibly far away from the source.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza said:

I also recommend trying a different cable. I'm going to make a broad statement and say that wired should almost always perform better unless you are impossibly far away from the source.

I'm going to make an even broader statement, and say that the effective maximum length of a single stretch of Cat-5 is greater than the effective maximum distance for WiFi.

As Cat_Herder said, try a different cable. I'll add on and say try a different port on your router.

Additionally, it's possible your Ethernet settings are actually different somehow than your Wireless settings. Try making sure the DNS isn't misconfigured or something.

FlUtterShy_XXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wired should definitely be faster in this dimension.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.