Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Skyrim VR is a separate $60 purchase...

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheFlamingo352

Since Resident Evil 7, I've been looking for another 'full' game in VR, and since I haven't played Skyrim in about 5 years, Skyrim VR sounded to me like a cool project to look into. Then I learned that this VR update is a $60 purchase on the PS Store. Was planning on borrowing Skyrim Special Edition from a friend when VR support came out, but that $60 price point just sent my interest level from "seems nifty" to "fuck that." There's no way VR support for a 2011 game could cost this much to make, right?

*edit* Skyrim VR is listed as its own game, so you don't need to buy Skyrim Remastered to buy the VR stuff.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They HAVE to add some sorta update for the regular game for like 20 bux or something, otherwise that just seems crazy especially given the lack of people on vr and the lack of content.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a big ol' Bethesda apologist, but that's real fuckin' dumb.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh man... fuck that. I'm okay with paying a premium for VR games (to an extent), but that's just silly.

Also makes me wonder about Doom VFR, given that it's only $30. If Bethesda is charging $60 for a VR-ified version of a 2011 game, it makes me think that VFR is going to be closer to a half hour "VR experience".

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wooow

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to suck in VR, even the Vive and Oculus blow for seeing objects in the distance, which is a big part of Skyrim...the views will be a pixelated mess, and that's on the Vive/Rift which aren't as low res and fuzzy as PSVR.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone with a PSVR, there is no way in hell I would pay $60 for Skyrim. I already gave them money for the PS4 "remaster", so make it an update or "$20 expansion" or fuck right off, for real... I really want to use this damn headset but holy shit.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm cool with it

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@shagge said:

Oh man... fuck that. I'm okay with paying a premium for VR games (to an extent), but that's just silly.

Also makes me wonder about Doom VFR, given that it's only $30. If Bethesda is charging $60 for a VR-ified version of a 2011 game, it makes me think that VFR is going to be closer to a half hour "VR experience".

You've now scared me. Stop it. I was all filled with VR hope & change until now! Now we have to Make Bethesda Great Again??

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

That's ridiculous... Skyrim Special Edition already exists on current gen consoles. Why can't it just be a $15-$20 DLC? Or if they really wanted some goodwill, a free patch?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That steep?

Wait, ok so I don't own skyrim special edition. I was going to buy it for this VR update.

Is this going to cost 120 fucking dollars for a 2011 game in VR?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck that

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I think game developers look up to and try to emulate this guy:

No Caption Provided

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: PS Store lists them as separate games, so you buy Skyrim VR as a different application from Skyrim Remastered.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theflamingo352: Thank fuck.

Still overpriced buuuut it's one of my favorite RPGs in VR, so...

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#16 FinalDasa  Moderator

Ehhh, remember that developing for VR isn't cheap. You're talking about upping the resolution, fixing all kinds of new graphics bugs, and redesigning some of the UI. Not to mention you're doing all that to an old game who's code may not take too kindly to massive changes.

Now if the Switch version is $60, we riot.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That'll still probably sell tons its Skyrim.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman said:

I'm cool with it

Same, it doesn't feel like a huge deal to me. It's a huge open world game, as long as it plays well I'm okay with spending that much. VR doesn't have a lot to offer in way of full ass titles right now. So I'm cool with that.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if its the full game in VR and done well? Then yes I will pay 60 bucks for it. Yes it would be nice to have it cheaper or as a free update to the ps4 version, but man I just really want to play a good RPG in VR.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By big_denim

Y'all mad it costs $60, and In just sitting here disgruntled because I can't play it on Vive. I own Skyrim and Resi7 and I'd gladly pay $60 more for each of them if it got me the VR versions tomorrow.

The exclusive deals for Oculus and PSVR are killing me!

I can only play Racket NX for so long! :(

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LeStephan

Skyrim never did it for me honestly, was curious if vr would change that. Not sure I'll take the plunge at 60 bucks though.(pretty sure I wont)

Too bad fallout 4 isnt coming to psvr, definitely would've tried that, even for 60 bucks.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

It's going to suck in VR, even the Vive and Oculus blow for seeing objects in the distance, which is a big part of Skyrim...the views will be a pixelated mess, and that's on the Vive/Rift which aren't as low res and fuzzy as PSVR.

See that mountain over there?

No.....

Well, if you could see it, you can go to that mountain!

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wynnduffy said:

See that mountain over there?

No.....

Well, if you could see it, you can go to that mountain!

This is too damn accurate.

It's a real shame, I think the Vive and Rift look quite nice when objects can fill the headset screen. As stuff gets further away, it gets really pixelated. It's a nightmare trying to aim at people long distance.

We need higher resolution VR...but probably some better games first.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Besides not be interested in playing Skyrim's content again (already gone through it all twice) I didn't know that in VR far-off objects become low quality. That suuucks.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By SSully

Adding proper VR support to a game isn't easy, so I think they deserve to be paid for their work. With that said, if they don't offer a discount to people who own it already then that's fucked up.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there is one company I trust to make a giant VR game where I don't have a glitch that has me falling through the world until I vomit it is totally Bethesda

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WynnDuffy

@brendan said:

Besides not be interested in playing Skyrim's content again (already gone through it all twice) I didn't know that in VR far-off objects become low quality. That suuucks.

It's not a limitation of VR but the headsets themselves. It makes sense if you think about it, the less something takes up of your screen, the less pixels there are defining it. This isn't a problem on a TV or a monitor, but when you consider that the Vive has a 1200P display an inch away from your eyes, it is a real pickle. You can still see pixels even when the screen is showing a close-up object, but when that object moves further and further away, aliasing and pixelation skyrockets.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BradBrains

@zolroyce said:
    @marcsman said:

I'm cool with it

Same, it doesn't feel like a huge deal to me. It's a huge open world game, as long as it plays well I'm okay with spending that much. VR doesn't have a lot to offer in way of full ass titles right now. So I'm cool with that.

Agreed. Never picked up Skyrim so it seems fine and the remaster is still $40. Plus, I'm sure it costs a fair amount to develop it for VR.

VR games cost more due to a few reasons. I've accepted it.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BradBrains

@shagge said:

Take it as you want but they said its about a 6 hour campaign

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Playing a Bethesda open world game in VR seems like you're just asking for a lobotomy, but maybe that's just me.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being an early adopter is Expensive yo.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: Yeah, I saw 4-6 after posting that. Doesn't actually mean much given how inaccurate projected playtimes are, but it does tell me it's not just a "here's an arena or two filled with demons, go for a high score" thing, so that's promising. (not loving forced teleport movement as somebody who doesn't get VR sick, but hey, no biggie)

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll probably buy it no matter what. It's Doom in VR. That's a *very* appealing premise.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like some executives made a bet on which could get randomly released the most for different platforms - Skyrim or RE4.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is kinda shitty. It will probably still sell a lot.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's waaaaaaay too much. Will wait for that PSN sale when it drops to something like 15 or 20 $/Euro's.

bakayoyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bakayoyo

It sure is steep to offer it a full price, but I really can't say yet if it will be worth it. They are promising to do a lot of rework to make the game playable in VR. If they truly make this a VR remake from the ground up where everything feels great to control in VR it will easily be worth $60. If they will have lots of floating menus that are awkward to navigate then not so much.

I have a PSVR and a Vive, so I can play Skyrim in VR with VORPX, it's fun, but to play that game from start to finish in VR gets annoying quick, because the game requires a lot of inventory management, crafting which means constant access to menus.

Another concern I have is that close up melee works fine in VR. But sniping someone from a distance can be very tricky. And with the not always spot on tracking of the move controllers that might be near impossible. It's possible to have zoom modes and some aiming assisting to make it more playable. We'll have to see how far they'll go in adapting the game to make it fun.

d_0_0_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're just gonna keep milking Skyrim dry.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Shadow

called it. They stopped me from buying Skyrim on PS4 that week because I thought VR might be a separate game

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if it's a separate game, can you only play it in VR?

fzzywarbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got it for $30 on sale. Looking at my library of games I’ve spent a couple hours with. I’ve spent well over twice as much for those games and only a handful of hours. I’ve already logged in over 20 hours into Skyrim in only a few days. It’s worth the price and the experience is honestly incredible. Can’t recommend enough and you would’ve NEVER heard me say that about Skyrim back in its original state. Now lets see if Bethesda can make ES6 into a game that grabs you by the balls again as opposed to daintily holding your hand through its theme park

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.