Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

Taking Apart PS2 For the First Time And...

Rude_Dude69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've hit a snag. I'm planning to clean the inside of my PS2 Slim Model No. SCPH-90001, but I can't find any videos of my specific model being taken apart. I've removed all the screws and have been able to pull most of the case off except right above the network adapter.

No Caption Provided

I've pulled, wedged and pried pretty roughly but can't get it loose. I'm kind of scared to try any more brute force than I have already applied.

So, I guess my question is whether or not I need just to try harder or if there is something I need to know about my specific model?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

going by this, there is a sticker on the back you may need to remove.

Loading Video...

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I've never owned a Slim but this reminds me of how many damn times I pried a PS2 open back in the day to clean the lens. Loved the hell out of that system but I went through three of them, only system I've ever had issues with dating back to SNES.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nodima said:

I've never owned a Slim but this reminds me of how many damn times I pried a PS2 open back in the day to clean the lens. Loved the hell out of that system but I went through three of them, only system I've ever had issues with dating back to SNES.

Hah, I made so much money doing that repair back in high school(also modding Dreamcasts). I also went through 3 fat PS2's over those years. I didn't even heavily use the things. Definitely the most trouble I have had with a system followed by getting back to back PS1's that would skip and stutter wile playing cut scenes unless they were turned upside down.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ifixit do some great disassembly guides.

It's years since I took apart a PS2 slim but remember it being a complete bugger compared to the wideboy. A few months ago I was trying to track down the 3rd party shell extension which enabled a hard drive installation but gave up in favour of buying another OG PS2/Network adapter.

Rude_Dude69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: This is a different model PS2 than mine. But, after many hours of digging I discovered that the tamper sticker is on the bottom of the SCPH-90001. The sticker was badly faded and I couldn't read what it said, but I was able to see a vague outline of a square that was roughly the same size as the other plastic tabs that I had to remove to get to the screws. In short I was able to get it open, but alas, I could not fix the problem I had identified inside the console.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rude_dude69: glad to hear you got it open, bummer about the system being dead :-(

Rude_Dude69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rude_Dude69

@rude_dude69: glad to hear you got it open, bummer about the system being dead :-(

Yeah, but luckily, I was able to find my original "fat" PS2. It's dirty but it seems to work fine.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rude_dude69: if I may ask, what game prompted the PS2 urge?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.