Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

Possible to connect a PS2 to a monitor through HDMI?

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I'm sorry if this is a frequently asked question, feel free to link to other topics that address this. A quick forum search didn't turn up anything helpful so I went ahead and created this topic anyway.

I got a PS2 very late, during the 360/PS3 cycle, because I only had a GameCube and I wanted to check out some of the games during that era that I missed out on (mostly JRPGs). However, this project has been hampered since I usually only have access to a monitor to play games on (I don't own a TV). I received a $75 Amazon gift card for Christmas and my question is: is there a way to connect my PS2 through an adaptor that will output in HDMI that I can then plug into my monitor on a $75 budget? If so, could someone link to the Amazon pages of the products I would need?

Thanks Duders!

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I don't know how well these work but there appear to be several options.

Amazon LINK

Maybe @drewbert would know.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

Why not just run your PS2 games in the PCSX2 emulator? It's free, there is save state support, you can use any controller, and your games will look better and load faster. If you have a decent PC, you should give it a try. There are tutorials and guides all over the place you can refer to.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4 fisk0  Moderator

There are PS2 to HDMI converters that you connect directly to the AV port of the PS2, but by the looks of it, they only support PS2's resolutions, and trying to play PS1 games through that apparently won't work.

Here are a couple of them: http://www.amazon.com/HDV-G300-HDMI-Converter-Scaler-1080P/dp/B0093JQM56

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D875R5K/

They're off brand things and fairly expensive, and given the limited compatibility you may prefer the emulation route or maybe grabbing a cheaper CRT TV to connect it to.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeI only have a Mac so I don't think that emulator will work for me.

@citizencoffeecakeThanks! Those seem like the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'll check out the reviews and see if they'll work.

@fisk0Having both a CRT and a monitor out and plugged in would take up a lot of space in my smallish apartment so that doesn't seem like the best solution.

Thanks for all the replies!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

I just wish the ps2 vga adapter was supported for games and sold widely. Instead of just in that linux pc thing.

But yeah the best thing you can do is run it on component cables. some games support 1080 but not many so most games look the same as they normally would.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think my monitor has component inputs, it's pretty cheap. Just has a couple HDMI inputs.

I'm going to give this a try: Panlong Mini PS2 to HDMI Video Converter

Most of the reviews are positive and it's only ~$20 so if it doesn't work well it's not a huge loss.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@mike: Do you have experience with it? I was wanting to use it but all the talk about malware and whatnot kept me from risking it since I have a ton of games on Steam to keep me busy. Is it really only a matter of custom install vs express install in regards to malware?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: I really don't recall, but I certainly never got any malware or had any problems from PCSX2. I always do custom installations and verify directories and what's being installed, though. I think as long as you pay attention to what you're doing you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For future reference in case anyone else is curious about this issue, that Panlong Mini PS2 converter I linked to a couple posts ago has been working great for me. Only small issue is that if you have a PS2 slim like I do the USB power cable for the converter will have to bend slightly to accommodate the PS2 power cable. It doesn't seem like enough stress to cause any damage to the cable though. Been playing games on my monitor for about 5 hours now with no issue.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@tds418: Yep, sorry I missed this thread earlier. I bought one of those converters about a year ago and it's been great on my fat PS2, a little jankier on my slim for the reason you mentioned.

Before that I'd been connecting the PS2 to my AV receiver with component cables and separate audio leads. Now I just need a spare HMDI port.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tds418 said:

For future reference in case anyone else is curious about this issue, that Panlong Mini PS2 converter I linked to a couple posts ago has been working great for me. Only small issue is that if you have a PS2 slim like I do the USB power cable for the converter will have to bend slightly to accommodate the PS2 power cable. It doesn't seem like enough stress to cause any damage to the cable though. Been playing games on my monitor for about 5 hours now with no issue.

Thanks! I've been looking for something like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.