Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Nvidia unveils the GTX 1060: Faster than a GTX 980 for $250

• 54 results
    Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Nvidia has unveiled the GTX 1060, the most affordable member of its Pascal-based graphics card lineup yet. Starting at $250 (UK price TBC, but likely £220), Nvidia claims the GTX 1060 is faster than a GTX 980—a card that costs upwards of $400 (£380)—and features a power-sipping TDP of just 120W. It'll be released worldwide on July 19.

While the full technical details behind the GTX 1060 aren't available just yet, Nvidia has revealed that the card is based on a new GP106 chip, rather than a binned version of the the GP104 chip used in the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070. The GTX 1060 sports 1280 CUDA cores, 6GB of GDDR5 memory running at 8GHz (only a 6GB version will be available), and a boost clock of 1.7GHz that Nvidia claims is easily overclocked to 2GHz and beyond. Power supply is via a single 6-pin connector.

Like the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, the GTX 1060 will be available from manufacturers like Asus, Zotac, and Gigabyte, as well as directly from Nvidia in Founders Edition form at a higher $299 (~£260) price. The extra $50 buys a dual-FET power supply, as well as a similar blower-style cooler to the more expensive Pascal cards, albeit one made out of plastic rather than metal and measuring a shorter 240mm.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/nvidia-gtx-1060-specs-price-release-date/

Seems like a shot right back at AMD - $50 more for allegedly faster performance paired with more power efficient performance - interesting times indeed!

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mcfart

It'll more then likely match a 980, maybe beating it by 5% in favorable scenarios.

If true, would still be good, though $300 for the 6GB is too much imo.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Seems like a good option, hopefully it becomes readily available sooner than these first 2 cards.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Since the 1070 was promised to cost 380 dollars but ended up being around 600 dollars (550 euros) here in Finland, I need to find something cheaper as an upgrade. If the price of the 1060 sets at below 400 euros I might bite. Or then I'll just get a used 980 for even cheaper.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hassun

@joe_mccallister: Not all that interesting when there are only 2 GPU manufacturers and one is clearly insanely far ahead of the other.

Oh what I would give for some real competition in the CPU and GPU markets...

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is already tempting me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OurSin_360

Meh ill believe it when i see it, not talking performance but price and availability. This thing will release and sell for what they said the 1070 would imo.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Even if this doesn't bench higher than a 980, it's an upgrade from my 750 Ti. For 1080p, the 1070 is overkill for me, and I don't notice higher levels of anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering anyway. Hopefully the EVGA/MSi/Gigabyte/etc cards will actually be around $250 (give or take $10 or $20) given the current situation of there being no 1070s at the $379 MSRP that Nvidia said there would be, because I'm long overdue for an SSD.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

@oursin_360 said:

Meh ill believe it when i see it, not talking performance but price and availability. This thing will release and sell for what they said the 1070 would imo.

Nvidia already announced the price at $249, they aren't just going to change it. I'm not sure quite what you are trying to get at here. Now if you're saying prices on the secondary market may be higher due to low availability at launch, then of course that's possible just as it is with any product that is in high demand.

If you're suggesting that people are going to pay $379 for a 1060 when they could just wait and get a 1070 for the same price whenever that is in stock, I just don't see that happening except in a very small percentage of edge cases. That doesn't make any sense.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: nah, 250 is bullshit just like 380 and 599. I havent seen first party nvidia sell anything other than the over priced founders editions, so 2nd party would be the only chance for it to sell at that announced price and i have yet to see it on any of the cards. So yeah I'll believe it when i see it.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, wait. How many TFLOPS is it?

4.4 tflops with performance that's supposed to be at or slightly faster than a 980.

The 480 is 5.8tflops with performance that's at or slightly faster than a 980.

Prices of the 1070s are starting to drop down to closer to what they were when announced, I'm thinking that'll prevent the artificial inflation we saw of the 1070's and 1080's and also help alleviate some of the demand on the 1070 from more price conscious folks.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how does it match against the 480x me wonders.

this is great for a shitload of people, but i'm already set on at least a 1070. not that i'm a rich bastard by any means (quite the opposite).

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't compare nvidia Flops with AMD.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hmoney001: Don't compare flops in general. Some older generation cards have more flops, but are slower in reality than their newer counterparts with fewer flops.

I hope this thing can be sold for 250. The 1070 is 500+ euro here in the Netherlands and the 1080 700+.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By monkeyking1969

@oursin_360 said:

Yeah, i can see that. Obviously the announcement of the GTX 1060 and ist price was something Nvidia was holding back in weaponize form. That is business; and likely business more above-the-boards than in other industries. Yet, it is true that the real price and availability of 1060 will be interesting to watch.

@hassun Well, I think Nvida would not share your lack of faith for where AMD is going. AMD has PS4 and Xbox One chips going into every system, and at least on Sony's side that is a guaranteed 10 million units sold every fiscal year for another three years. AMD has a new deal in China to make semiconductors as a joint venture for the server market over there. On the western side of the consumer market AMD has great CPU/GPU (APU) designs that are very popular on the low-end. Sure on the high-end 'enthusiast side' AMD does not do as well, but they are not doing bad. Their stocks prince has gone up 250% in the past year, not a perfect indicator, but Wall Street is bullish on AMD. So, yeah, I think Nvidia is still very worried about AMD's growth.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like really bad news for AMD, and AMD really can't afford bad news right now. The 480 seemed like a good deal with 970/ 390 performance for $200, but 980/ 390x (maybe even Fury?) performance for $250 could be a great one. Obviously we need to wait for benchmarks.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the founders edition at $300, we'll not see a $250 card anywhere. They set the price with the founders edition and advertise the MSRP that all of the board partners choose not to meet. In some cases they'll be more than Founders because why would they put out a better card for cheaper? This has already happened with the 1070 and 1080 (not talking about markups and resellers).

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Literally just ordered a 1070 a few hours before this was announced. I didn't miss you at all, PC component shopping.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hassun

@monkeyking1969: I'll believe in AMD's resurgence when I see it. Also of course this isn't really about APUs but dedicated GPUs and looking at the market share Nvidia has these days...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I don't squabble about graphics cards but I think it's been clear to go nVidia and have for a while. When I'm ready to get a new card, this might be a good option for me.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Not good at all for AMD

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMD Finally did a business move set the imagination of gamers on a budgets on fire, then Nvidia went and did this. Poor AMD

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: Finally? AMD's been an interesting choice in the 100-250$ segments for years now. Nvidia's solutions were often too expensive or not available. Same thing might happen with the 1060: faster, but more expensive and difficult to get in certain regions.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OurSin_360

We need a third party to get into the mix to shake things up, only having 2 choices is just kinda shitty. Same with processors

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too early to say, but could be good bye for AMD.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

This is an incredibly dumb question, but I'm curious if the 1060 would give me a noticeable difference from the AMD 7870 I'm running now. I know it's an older card, but is it worth the upgrade?

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:
    @oursin_360 said:

Nvidia already announced the price at $249, they aren't just going to change it. I'm not sure quite what you are trying to get at here. Now if you're saying prices on the secondary market may be higher due to low availability at launch, then of course that's possible just as it is with any product that is in high demand.

If you're suggesting that people are going to pay $379 for a 1060 when they could just wait and get a 1070 for the same price whenever that is in stock, I just don't see that happening except in a very small percentage of edge cases. That doesn't make any sense.

"Secondary market?" What's the primary market? Fact is MSRP means nothing when they don't provide a reference model, meaning the Founder's MSRP is the effective price for the base model.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

AMD is not going anywhere. They've been a pretty clear choice for years when it comes to budget builds. It's easy to look at charts and see green team cards at the top but that $60 difference between a r9 390 and a 970 was not a non factor.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

AMD Finally did a business move set the imagination of gamers on a budgets on fire, then Nvidia went and did this. Poor AMD

I think I've lost all sympathy for AMD a while ago. They need to get their act together and start competing. I don't know how, maybe hire new people, merge with some company, throw pinata parties every friday to raise morale - but they need to get back in the race because they're not even on the same track anymore.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1060 definitely an upgrade over a 7870. It would've been an upgrade over my 7950, I opted for a 1070 though.

Don't expect to see 250 at launch, but I bought my 1070 for 400; near "msrp". Could be a lot of third parties around the 250-275 space. For the people wanting to spend more on the 480 8gb for the bigger memory, if it's worth it(more memory on lower end cards usually never is, could be worth more here), the 1060 is going to be very competitive.

gizmo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, as the GTX 1070 and 1080 have already shown, these will not be priced at MSRP. Expect pricing above $300.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

AMD can't seem to catch a break these days. I haven't been happy with any of AMD's cards or their drivers, but I want them to at least be somewhat of a player. If there is no one to contest them, Nvidia will continue to charge out the nose for their mid&high-range cards.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Just got my Strix 1070 OC today.

I think I'm good.

rccola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912: AMD are doing pretty well since they have their chips powering both the Xbone and PS4.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#38  Edited By mike

@rccola said:

@john1912: AMD are doing pretty well since they have their chips powering both the Xbone and PS4.

They really aren't, at all. AMD hasn't made a profit in awhile and showed a net loss of $107 million in the first quarter of 2016 alone, and it wasn't any much better in the previous quarter either. This same period last year they reported a loss of $187 million.

No Caption Provided

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel amd should either sell off their cpu or gpu department. Seems like they bit off too much when they bought out ati, they need to focus on making at least one of their products competitive.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deepcovergecko

I'm surprised AMD are actually still in business, is their low end stuff selling well?

They've been behind Intel for over a decade and behind Nvidia since the 8800 GTS/GTX cards (so a decade).

It's kind of funny because the opposite was true for quite a while, I distinctly remember the AMD 64 CPUs running circles around Pentium. I don't remember the name of the GPUs that were beating out Nvidia (who had an awful '5' series if I remember correctly) but ATi/AMD were winning there too.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By VACkillers

GTX 980s are still $400 plus, GTX 1070s are $430 plus, and the cheapest GTX 1080 is $700 though out of stock pretty much everywhere. DON'T quite believe the hype surrounding the price of these cards because there is no indication what so ever these prices are coming down to what their ACTUALLY advertised for a long time yet.... The AMD 480X is quite the option right now but I'm dissapointed with its lack of power, but it is what, a $200 card? but at least it is sold at its advertised price......

There is no way in hell, a GTX 1060 will be sold at its advertised price at launch. Bare that in mind when thinking about upgrading you might want to wait closer to Thanksgiving/Christmas time before getting your upgrades.

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pixelrat

There was a rumor floating around for quite some time last year that Microsoft was in talks to buy AMD, business wise AMD is hurting right now. I've been looking at buying a card recently and looked into the 480, unfortunately it doesn't seem all is good with it.

Bench marks are fine, price seems like a steal, but the chip has basically no headroom,. and a lot of them are having power draw issues. They are using way too much power, pulling way too much from the PCIe slot and that is no good. Potentially system damaging flaws aren't a good thing on a new card.

The 1060 seems interesting, but it is hard to say until we see real numbers. I'm a bit less optimistic on it than most.

I'm not super into what AMD is selling, and it's hard to imagine the 1060 being super amazing. I'll probably just get a 1070 or 980ti, they will survive to fight a bit longer anyway.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelrat: The power 'issues' (more cards draw more power than advised from the PCI-e slot, it's not such a big deal unless the rest of your hardware is really, really bad) were fixed in a driver. And with custom RX 480's you will get a much better cooler (the reference one is as cheap as they could go) and an 8 pin connector (which can draw 150W safely on its own).

Anyway, the GTX1060 3GB is rumoured to be a bit less powerful than the 6GB version (not that you should get a videocard with less than 4GB these days).

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelrat: AMD fixed the power draw issue, but if you're seriously considering something in the $400 range than yeah, I don't think the 480 or 1060 are going to be for you.

stevewestmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By stevewestmark

@oursin_360: I read a few articles over the last few months that the Radeon wing of AMD is trying to spin off as ATI, free of AMD. The current head of Radeon Raja Koduri got control of the graphics division by threatening to leave for Intel. Rumors are that he might be holding back tech from AMD and is trying to get ATI free from their grasp and possibly go to Intel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@oursin_360: I read a few articles over the last few months that the Radeon wing of AMD is trying to spin off as ATI, free of AMD. The current head of Radeon Raja Koduri got control of the graphics division by threatening to leave for Intel. Rumors are that he might be holding back tech from AMD and is trying to get ATI free from their grasp and possibly go to Intel.

This sounds like something some weird ATI fanboy would say on a reddit thread. The idea that they are holding back technology is absolutely crazy; like, not even in the realm of possibility crazy.

PHARAOH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PHARAOH

@mcfart: I got a rx 480 instead i always build dual graphics card builds because it lets me game at ultra longer. Also selling my dual 280x cards lets me only pay for one 480. So it only cost me 240 dollars for two rx 480 cards. Not letting you sli the 1060 makes it a no sale for me. That card is going to get old fast since nividia loves to nerf their cards performance to make you upgrade faster.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 480 and the 1060 are essentially the same price here, so the 480 no longer seems that special.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.