Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 04, 2022

A free-to-play sequel to the first-person hero-shooter Overwatch, revamping the monetization and multiplayer while adding new Heroes, locales, and game modes.

Overwatch 2 Had A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week (Also Overwatch 1 Servers Go Down Soon)

• 55 results
    Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AtheistPreacher

So here's a thing: are most people using role queue or open queue on quick play?

I hadn't realized before I saw it last night in the patch notes that defined roles have been removed in every mode except quick play, so my understanding is that even competitive doesn't have roles anymore (I've never played a second of competitive and never will, which explains why I hadn't noticed).

Apparently new players are actually required to play five games in open queue before playing role queue. Is one of these supposed to be the primary one? I find it a little baffling. I'd think the serious players would gravitate toward the mode that most resembles competitive play, but maybe not? I've been playing role queue just because it's the thing I'm more used to, and open queue often seems to lead to not enough healers.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@atheistpreacher: I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Role queue still exists in competitive mode. Is that what you mean by defined roles?

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: Yeah, that's what I mean. I just saw this note in the live patch notes for 10/4:

Role Queue is removed for all game modes except for Quick Play - Role Queue

...which sounded like roles weren't a thing in competitive anymore. But now I did a search and I guess there's also role queue and open queue for competitive? I dunno, seems like they should make up their mind and pick one rather than split the playerbase, but whatever I guess.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher: Weird. Maybe it wasn't in on launch day or something? I not sure what's up with that.

But I almost entirely play role queue in quick play. I'm guessing that's how it goes for a majority of people. The only use case I can think of for open role is if you've got a group of friends and you have a very specific team you like to play outside of the 1-2-2 composition.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The confusing thing for me is that open queue isn't just an arcade thing. It feels like that's where that should go if the design intent is for a defined team composition. I wonder if Blizzard themselves just aren't sure which they prefer with the switch to 5v5.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher: That's always been the problem with Overwatch. Everything around the game has always been a mess because they're always trying to please very different groups of fans that want very different things from the game.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As someone who has never played Overwatch: ...Yeah. No. Thanks. I'm good. It's bad enough that Activision Blizzard is Activision Blizzard.

The fan art is pretty good, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.