Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outer Wilds

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 29, 2019

Explore a solar system on the brink of collapse in this Seumas McNally Grand Prize Winner.

Outer Wilds - have you played it?

• 61 results
    DukeMcFrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I saw a patch had added some new stuff and changed a few things so i decided to check some of them out. After seeing the new stuff I decided to clean up the loose ends on the terminal. After doing that I wanted to see if the ending was different since i had technically seen everything... its not :(

But I think i have a new favorite moment,

Waiting for Ash Twin to pour out initially seemed like a poor design choice but a necessary one because of the game mechanics but I think its more to build anticipation for the moment you go into the core of the planet and see the ATP for the first time, well not the first time, but now you understand those masks you kept seeing in the projection pools.

You read all the text and mission statement, you check all the projection stones and then you come to the lever to open the case and grab the core. The visceral action of ripping out the core, your only means of survival to this point, had a very real effect on me. You know the implications of what your doing and what you have to do now.

The core is removed, the lights dim. For the first time the game has given you a goal without shoving it in your face, but in that same moment, took away what had gotten you this far in the first place.

The walk back to the ship isnt very long but you now have a new look on the whole game. By this time I had gotten used to just killing myself to finish the loop and start again but now you are literally holding the thing that let you do that. Suddenly all the fear I had forgotten due to my immortality came FLOODING back.

Then you get in your ship and point it towards the Bramble... and "that song" comes on.

It wasnt really one of the Holy Shit moments like eariler in the game. By this time in game you should have seen most of the really cool stuff by now. Its really more like you finally put all the puzzle pieces together and all thats left is to flip it over and see the picture revealed but in the same moment you put the piece down, one of the table legs broke and your finished puzzle is sitting precariously on the edge about to fall and shatter into hundreds of pieces.

I really cant think of a time where I had such a reaction to a moment in a video game. Where it felt like there actual consequences if i messed this up. I know that me, Duke, is in no real danger but my Hatchling might actual die this time!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I only recently found the to play, and it didn’t grab me.

I thought the on-boarding/tutorial stuff was too leisurely. I also felt slightly ill due to how the character moves. It was oddly floaty, and I didn’t take well to it. As a result, I didn’t dig it.

I like the idea of the game, and love that start screen’s look and music selection, though.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Don't usually like to hate on games but this one was so middling for me I found it pretty disappointing. There is nothing wrong with it but I found it boring, which is I probably the most damning thing a game can face.

Too bad, I've loved most of Obsidian's portfolio.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SethMode

@junkerman said:

Don't usually like to hate on games but this one was so middling for me I found it pretty disappointing. There is nothing wrong with it but I found it boring, which is I probably the most damning thing a game can face.

Too bad, I've loved most of Obsidian's portfolio.

I still can't believe these games came out so close to each other.

Honest mistake duder (considering I think you've posted there), but I think you might be looking for this thread!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played this for 9 hours so far and I don't get it. It's not dragging me in at all. I load it up, play for an hour or so at most and then turn it off.

I don't find the ship to be difficult to control. I've managed to land on the quantum moon, to get through one of the quantum puzzle towers and found 4 of the other explorers. I find the race of dead alien explorers and scientists to be more annoying than interesting.

I just don't think this game is for me.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By thesquarepear

This might sound condescending but most of the mechanics are inspired by astronomy and physics and it's totally fair if that doesn't interest/grab some people.

The concepts for the mechanics are not all totally new in 2019 but they're combined and gated in such a creative way to make this anything but a typical "walking simulator" breadcrumb collector. Danny O'Dwyer's Noclip has just released a "making of" video that explains some of the concepts origin in detail (I haven't seen all of it yet).

I think I'm almost at the ending because I've connected all of the visible breadcrumbs even though I usually suck at puzzle games. As a total space nerd (I got to most of the planets in Kerbal and actually successfully returned from Duna) I share the appreciation of this game. I'm not a big fan of 3D platforming (especially from first-person POV) but I love flying spaceships and I'm really impressed with the dynamic world (hint: some environments change based on their location through the cycle).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jesus_phish: IT is what it is. I have put a similar amount of hours into Dead Cells and despite the praise from nearly everyone on staff I cannot get into that game. Typically I am just bored going through the same levels over and over again, at worst I feel frustrated by getting a "bad hand" and dying, forcing me to re-do everything again.

I've come to accept that rogue-lites are not for me. I just don't have it in me to start things from scratch all the time although I know that type of game is loved by others. Other Wilds was actually the exact opposite.. except you still have to start from scratch every time, and yet I loved it. What I loved though was the puzzle nature and the beautifully bespoke content. The way some of those planets operate like a huge grandfather clock with all these little cogs and spokes moving in real time was really fascinating.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Nope. Skipped over this one. Not really for me honestly. Seems a lot of people enjoyed it though.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@humanity: it's a well made game, but I think I'd like it more if I didn't have to fly the ship to the puzzles and could just walk around like The Witness. And while some of those planets have cool time mechanics, others feel disrespectful to my own time. Like getting "up" that tower.

I played some more and ended up uninstalling it after realising what you've to do to finish the game. Theres no pull because the more I think on it the more I hate the story.

I ended up watching Brad's video on touching moments and none of those hit at all for me.

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I cant I just cant. I think I fall in line with Jeff with my Outer Wilds views. I just felt like I was constantly fighting the controls. Whether that was intentional I don't know. All I know is I couldn't stick with it. The world was really intriguing. I loved the visuals

The look of the one planet I landed on was incredible, just ocean and tornado's wow. But I have too little time these days to fight the controls. I wish I was more patient and didn't value my time as much. It's a huge shame really.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By redcream

I'm glad I went back to this game.

Everyone in the Beastcast was gushing about it after its release and I was quick to hop in, eager to see what the buzz was about. So I played it expecting to be wowed at the very first instance. I appreciated the cool things in Timber Hearth like the remote control spaceship but nothing really stood out so I rushed to find the fun in it. I'm so impatient to enjoy this game that I barely paid attention thinking that I'll get the hype once I get to the ship and start the Groundhog Day cycle. Since it's an open world, I went to the first direction I can get my ship to land and it was in Brittle Hollow. Anyone who played this game knows that this planet can be daunting for beginners and alas this soured my taste for the game. I was falling through the void over and over and making my way back to ship so tedious even with the help of the warp machine and since I wanted to discover everything there is about this planet, it never occurred to me to visit other planets first. I struggled to find the fun. I mean, translating stuff is cool and all but why am I not engaged? Then I died, over and over and over barely making any progress which made me question why I even tried this game. I quit shortly after. I guess it's just not for me. I distanced myself for quite a while and shrugged at the thought of giving this game another shot. I remember being frustrated by its lack of purpose but I went back because SkillUp (a Youtube game reviewer) likened it to Subnautica and I love me some Subnautica. This time it clicked.

I read a beginners guide on Reddit beforehand and a suggestion that pointed me in the right direction is to take it slow and take to heart all the tools that is provided to the player in the opening area. Another great advice is to point at some clear objectives early on such as using the Signalscope and exploring the surfaces of the planets first before going deep into any of them. This filled my ship log with a breadth of information which gave me momentum. Following leads and filling the question marks in the ship log helped me get the groove I needed to get going and erase the aimlessness that I felt on the first try. Now I'm engaged. The beauty of the ship log's design is that it doesn't tell the player exactly what to do like a grocery list but it gives them a nice bird's eye view of where they can go next time to piece the story together and the game lets them discover it themselves. Going slow also served to gently reveal the mystery of this world to get the player invested without them getting overwhelmed.

One of the great things about this game is that it gives you a limited set of tools but it stretches their use in creative ways and the game gives you the luxury of finding out for yourself the said ways in which it twists its mechanics. The joy of discovery is the pull of this game and I have to admit that I used a walkthrough once I got stuck before the endgame but if I had paid more attention and had more patience I would have figured it all out on my own. That is how masterful the design of this game is. Every time I made a discovery, it was not random. It was written somewhere in the world somewhere and the acquisition of this knowledge and the application of it on different parts of the universe is the entire loop of this game.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with this world. It's full of moments that inspires a sense of awe rarely replicated by other games. It has a handcrafted feel to it and every nook and cranny is intricately designed. It's hard for me to say that I had fun with this game in a traditional sense but I was heavily invested in it and I had a great time. Subnautica is still better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.