Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oddworld

Franchise »

Explore the perverse and beautiful alien planet of Oddworld, and its series of games starring the unlikeliest of heroes.

Abe Coming to PSN/Steam + Unannounced New Game Info Coming Soon

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Steve_C

I found my way to an interesting little interview with Lorne Lanning on Bitmob, by Toby Davis.

If you love the Oddworld universe and been waiting for its return, then there's some good news that arose:

1. First off, the studio have recently signed a deal with Sony, and both ' Abe's Oddysee' and ' Abe's Exoddus' will be appearing on PSN "very soon". I'm not sure if anything is being added/changed or if they're just being treated as a PS1 classics.
    2. In addition to Oddysee/Exoddus, ' Munch's Oddysee' and ' Stranger's Wrath' will be compiled into 'The Oddbox', to be distributed this winter via Steam. 
    3. "Regarding new material, we hope to have an announcement soon, but I’ve been saying that for awhile now so I’ll just shut up and hope for the best. "
    It's a good little read, so i'd advise you to check that out. The concept of a new Oddworld game excites me to no end. It's such a compelling universe and those games were dripping with atmosphere. I'd like to see that style realised on modern hardware.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Lazyaza

Yup, Oddysee and Exodus are already on steam, bought em few days ago.  Incredible games worthy of any true gamers collection but be warned they can be brutally hard by today's standards.  Insta deaths if you misstime a run/jump and whatnot but still very much playable.  If you never played them they were both side scrolling platformer/puzzle titles released for ps1 and pc back in the mid ninties. What made them awesome was the world and characters as well as the story, truly one of the most unique and entertainingly creative franchises of all time.   The cgi cinematics that filled the games were and still are amazing.

Such a shame the sequels sold so terribly and how badly skrewed Oddworld Inhabitants were over the whole publishing of Strangers Wrath which was suppose to end up on ps2 but only released on Xbox around the time the console was on its last legs market wise.  I for one cant wait to finally get to play Strangers Wrath, wouldn't mind playing Munch again either. 

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Steve_C
    @Lazyaza:  Yeah I loved the PS1 games. I never had a chance to play the xbox/360 ones properly, having a very brief experience with Stranger's Wrath at a friend's house. I wish they'd somehow be released over PSN too in addition to steam.

I'm just happy that the company is still putting the games out there, and hopefully it's bringing in a good income. I always feel that Oddworld Inhabitants is a company that's always on the verge of just disappearing, particularly after all the weird shifts they've had in recent times. The thought of seeing nothing from them ever again is pretty sad. Their games are special.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By guiseppe

Abe on my PSP is a minor dream come true, awesome!

Follow me, follow me, I don't know, *fart*, *chant*, *laugh*.

LobsterCrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By LobsterCrunk

I'd rather they'd added Quicksave to Oddysee - last I played it on Steam it was pretty much the same as the PSOne except it runs a whole lot faster on PC.  I kida prefered how deliberately paced those games were on PSOne.

Also, Stranger's Wrath was a helluva game.  I'd love for people to find it on Steam - so long as they fix the bad sound quality of the characters during gameplay - it's one of the best FPS' I've ever played.

And, finally, New Amazing Product from Oddworld?  Sweet.  Mind you, I've been hearing for the last 2 years that they're working on something.  First it was that movie they were planning called Citizen Siege, now it's a new game set on Oddworld?  Well, I can keep waiting.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Steve_C

It's strange seeing this being bumped.

I only got to play a little bit of Stranger's Wrath on my mate's xbox. It was a brief look, but the game looked pretty cool; the gameplay and particularly the art design. I think I remember seeing an upgrade element to the game as you get money (or at least something to do with the ammo) which totally appealed to my RPG sensibilities. The bastard didn't even complete the game, even though I kept encouraging him to, rubbing it in my face. Bastard.

Oddly enough, I found out about a month ago that someone had already posted about this news on one of the forums before I had, though I can't remember where.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

I thought Lorne Lanning said a long time ago that Oddworld Inhabitants was not doing more Oddworld games, but instead focusing on making movies and such based around Oddworld. 

If that's no longer true and a new Oddworld game is in the works...then sign me the fuck up!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.