Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Obsidian Entertainment

Company »

Obsidian is a California-based developer most famous for their PC RPGs. The studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2018.

Obsidian gets the rights to Pathfinder

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie

Neat. I really dig card games (haven't tried the Pathfinder one yet), but I'm curious to see how this works out for everyone involved. The Pathfinder license sure isn't as well-known as D&D in the popular imagination, but hopefully this is executed well.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

That's pretty neat. Not only do I love card games (even if I'm bad at them), it implies that there's gonna be more games coming from this partnership. Obviously, old-school RPGs seem to be a thing now, so it seems like a perfect match.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@rorie said:

Neat. I really dig card games (haven't tried the Pathfinder one yet), but I'm curious to see how this works out for everyone involved. The Pathfinder license sure isn't as well-known as D&D in the popular imagination, but hopefully this is executed well.

Pathfinder is the one you guys played for premium right?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi
    @flstyle said:

Yeah, it's basically an offshoot of DnD 3.5

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought Pathfinder was a branch of DnD? I am gonna have to wiki that up. I am glad obsidian got it.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@flstyle said:

Yeah, it's basically an offshoot of DnD 3.5

Ahhh I didn't know that, thanks!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Zelyre

@rorie: Awesome. Do you know what this is going to do to the Pathfinder MMO? Or does Obsidian only have the rights to make games based on the Pathfinder card game?

The Pathfinder card game is pretty awesome. It's played a bit like a tabletop RPG, rather than Magic or Hearthstone.

You select your character class, have abilities and items, and roll dice to resolve combat. You pick a quest card which lists the objective and locations for the quest, you then place the location cards, and locations which you populate with the appropriate cards - monsters, loot, random encounters, etc. Objectives are shuffled into those decks. On your turn, you move to a location and draw a card from that location hoping to get the objective. Or maybe you want loot. Or need to grind mobs to level up. If you're unable to complete the objective, it gets shuffled into a different location.

Every die roll is a bit like a saving throw. If a monster hits for 20 damage, and your armor soaks up 15, then you need to roll a 5+ or lose combat. (If I remember right, I haven't played in a bit.)

It's a fun card game, but the setup takes a bit of time. Once you're done playing, you have to put cards back in their right pile. You have to remove expansion cards from the master deck. Having all that automated would be awesome. The base game is the first act of the campaign and additional campaigns are additional purchases. So, the in app purchase/DLC thing is already covered.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zelyre said:

Awesome. Do you know what this is going to do to the Pathfinder MMO? Or does Obsidian only have the rights to make games based on the Pathfinder card game?

The Pathfinder MMO is a seperate thing that is still happening.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, I'm a d&d guy myself but I'll play a pathfinder game if its good

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

a new Obsidian RPG? Well that sounds--

Obsidian Is Developing a Pathfinder Game for Tablets

... sigh.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have seen people playing the Pathfinder card game on Tabletop Simulator and it looks pretty complicated.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Just have Tim Cain make a spiritual successor to Temple of Elemental Evil using the full insanity of the Pathfinder ruleset and I'll be totally on board.

Or this card game, I guess. Small steps.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@zelyre said:

@rorie: Awesome. Do you know what this is going to do to the Pathfinder MMO? Or does Obsidian only have the rights to make games based on the Pathfinder card game?

The Pathfinder card game is pretty awesome. It's played a bit like a tabletop RPG, rather than Magic or Hearthstone.

You select your character class, have abilities and items, and roll dice to resolve combat. You pick a quest card which lists the objective and locations for the quest, you then place the location cards, and locations which you populate with the appropriate cards - monsters, loot, random encounters, etc. Objectives are shuffled into those decks. On your turn, you move to a location and draw a card from that location hoping to get the objective. Or maybe you want loot. Or need to grind mobs to level up. If you're unable to complete the objective, it gets shuffled into a different location.

Every die roll is a bit like a saving throw. If a monster hits for 20 damage, and your armor soaks up 15, then you need to roll a 5+ or lose combat. (If I remember right, I haven't played in a bit.)

It's a fun card game, but the setup takes a bit of time. Once you're done playing, you have to put cards back in their right pile. You have to remove expansion cards from the master deck. Having all that automated would be awesome. The base game is the first act of the campaign and additional campaigns are additional purchases. So, the in app purchase/DLC thing is already covered.

Sounds fun~

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Animasta

Will they let you climb moss?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Holy shit. Apparently there is a Pathfinder MMO in the works, and it costs $1000 to play in the Alpha....

Just go to their site, and select "Join Alpha Now." :: https://goblinworks.com/shop/

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie: card game is great fun. It's like a striped down version of a pre made campaign that can be finished in a fraction of the time.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#17 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@animasta: Hopefully that and wielding a statues sword arm as a weapon are allowed.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've enjoyed playing the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game with a few of my friends. If it's an automated one of those, that sounds pretty sweet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.