Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Love the game, but I thnk it makes little sense.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

BTW: I like this game I have 250 hours into it, I play its most nights. I like it...it’s just doesn't makes sense for the following reasons. JMO

The whole base concept of No Man's Sky is you are exploring the galaxy, right? Going out into the great unknown...trillions of suns and undiscovered planets. Even that game put forward them premise that YOU the player are discovering these uncharted star systems so much so that you get to name the planets and catalog the fauna, flora and minerals, right?

...But these star systems have 90% the planets covered with research facilities, abandoned shelters, factories, depots, trade centers, etc.? Hell, every stellar system has its own multi trillion dollar space-born trade platform run by one of four races of aliens too. So, players are not really discovering anything at all. Now that would be okay for maybe 9% of star systems appeared that way, but why have the gameplay work like that where everything is very moderately settled. That game world in procedurally generated, but teh "procedure" itself is flawed; because everything and everywhere has been settled and occupied before you get there.

Second, you fly around on a spaceship, high tech warp drives and super-fast star system crossing drives...but somehow there is no automated mapping systems or waypoint system on you space ship. Players are always playing "blind man bluff" trying to find facilities or once found getting back to them from memory. You ship with all its high tech glory cannot auto map, so each player has to remember where a place was or have an icon set up to get to that spot.

While we are on the topic of mapping, why is each star system so fracked up in a Newtonians sense? As near as I can tell from physics, a star system will have a star of some types in the middle. That star can be about the size of earth and the way up to a million time bigger than earth, right? In Some cases there will be a planet (or planets) or at least loose rubble or gas orbiting a star. So why are they star system in the game impossible to traverse? You cannot drive up to a white dwarf or swing wide around a red giant that dwarfs its planets in orbit? And a player will never find a planet on the OPPOSITE side of a star from another planet. In a sense, none of the planet, rocks, or gases seem to have any orbits? This is even more screwed up because seemingly that game thinks people flying in space ship no orbital computers, and cannot navigate around star stars without all the plants unrealistically groups together and the star in the center being an unreachable object of one size....WHF?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.