Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nioh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2017

A historical action game loosely based on the story of English samurai William Adams, as he helps slay the yokai that infest Sengoku-era Japan while hunting down a malicious alchemist.

Dragon of the North DLC released today

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MeMonk

The first of Nioh's DLC has been released today while I have not played it yet there is a new weapon type and I am up for more Nioh!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BoOzak

That long sword weapon type and those bosses look cool, hopefully there are some new interesting areas to go along with them. Nier Automata's also getting some DLC today too, I think.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Shit's really good. Also PvP (with 500+ titles), new gear affixes, new difficulty level with special mob perks (like Black Phantoms in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls), and a bunch of free missions that came out since you last played. You can also transform into female characters now who have unique animations.

No Caption Provided

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Welp, I just finished Nioh yesterday, but I think I could go for playing a little bit more...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoutouts to dumb, yet totally accurate (player Okatsu is shorter than regular Okatsu), youtube stream titles:

Loading Video...

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I've only gotten around to that first mission but it was really good. I just wish the environment didn't look so bland. And no new boss music?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I went to try PvP but then realised I needed PS+. Too bad I guess. I think I'm gonna wait until all the DLCs are out before I jump on board.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think i bought the season pass or whatever when it launched, but it's been so long now, I'm hesitant to jump back in (whereas Souls games were second nature so easy to get into the dlc)

Can someone say if this is ok for someone to jump into if the last you've played Nioh was finishing the story at around release time. I never did any of the NG+ stuff, other good games were coming out and they took priority.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Should be doable for you, might be fairly difficult but nothing too excessive. Doesn't take long to farm up some 150 gear if necessary. I've had the opposite experience recently at least, can't enjoy Dark Souls 2/3 DLC at all but Nioh's was very fun from the getgo. Of course if they made more Bloodborne DLC I'm sure I'd enjoy that immediately.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish i could get back into this game, but it's another one in a long line that when i stop playing i can't bring myself to play after a while.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Oh shit, I haven't followed the DLC at all, they added bigger swords? Is that just integrated into the main game? I'm way into this, expected a lot less stuff from whatever they were gonna add. this looks quite good!

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty good and I did really like Nioh. Not really feeling going back to it so soon, though. Maybe when the rest of the DLC is out I'll pick it up again.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some fun with Okatsu(s):

Loading Video...

And the Way of the Demon (in regular levels it just random mobs that have glowing affixes and weapons):

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@ivdamke: You don't need PS+ for Co-op weirdly enough, or at least didn't in the past. I used different PSN accounts for alt runs do to fear of the old save bug, I imagine they fixed that at some point though.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@fredchuckdave: I don't have PS+ and the game would not allow me to do any form of co-op. This was about two months ago.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Goddamn... I haven't even been able to finish this game yet. I love it, but it feels like it goes on forever. I got to a point where I was under-leveled for all of the available missions and I just had to put it down for awhile. I HAVE to be close to the end, though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage: As of Feb 27th I was able, couldn't speak to after that.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: I came in at about level 100 after putting the game down when I beat it. The first level was fine but the first boss was doing 80% of my hp per hit. Not sure if I could have made it past him without the ninja auto-revive scrolls.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy, the final boss for this first DLC is kind of ridiculous. Absurdly fast, and between the sword charge and the grab she has two high damaging moves with super armor that more or less took 90% of my HP if I messed up the dodge. I dunno if I was just underleveled, or needed to grind for better equipment, or something, but it was frustrating enough that I summoned help... from someone who literally stunlocked her to death by throwing a bunch of shuriken. Figures as much, right?

Other than that though, Odachi are a lot of fun to use with the wide-sweeping attacks and built-in stance switching shenanigans. As someone who always likes using big-ass greatswords in any given souls game, they fill my need for that far better than this game's axes, which I find intolerably slow.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@arbitrarywater: I found her easier than the other two main bosses personally; will report back on the Way of the Strong versions later. They definitely buffed the shit out of ninjutsu so you can do a pure projectile/items character now more or less (might be pretty easy of course); kind of interesting when the other guy has that in co-op since most people are bad at the melee combat it means they're more likely to survive and thus get you more glory.

I think they buffed axes a bunch since a few months ago, might be worth another shot. The Odachi actually has less recovery than the Kusarigama for the most part, despite being a big fuckoff sword.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: Update: Way of the Strong Maria is definitely the hardest boss in the game; she buffs immediately, never blocks and doesn't stagger and even if you did run her out of stamina she rebuffs at the next available moment. They also gave Date instant buffing (for both bosses on regular difficulty they only buff past 50% health) but there's at least a 10 second CD on him redoing it after you run him out of stamina so that fight's somewhat doable (though still dumb). I think NG+/NG+2 Maria is almost impossible without a ludicrously overlevelled character unless you cheese (via spells/maybe ninjutsu)/parry her, I doubt anyone has actually beaten the Way of the Demon version in a straight up fight without being like level 700 (yes people do that); though the concept of doing so is intriguing. Still I kind of like when the hard bosses can be fazed a little bit. She's basically super steroids Gwyn who has very few if any gaps in the strings and straight up never staggers; Gwyn is one of the best bosses ever without parrying but you don't really need a version that has no weaknesses.

That said the normal version is still fine, can be fought normally with stamina management etc.:

Loading Video...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I didn't have a ton of trouble with Masamune, oddly enough. He took me more than a few tries, but I didn't feel like I was getting annihilated the second I made a mistake like with Shigezane and Maria. I'm stubborn enough that I don't want to grind stuff out, though I think that might've actually been the correct thing to do, if we're being honest. For as much as I love this game, most of the bosses not named "Taichibana Mushenge" didn't take me a ton of tries and I think that probably negatively affected my patience.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Could I ask what level you were at in that video? I was about 110, and you have about 1000 more hp than I did for the DLC; if that's normal no wonder I got absolutely trashed.

The DLC was decent overall. It's a massive difficulty spike from the rest of way of the samurai, though. To be honest I've had my fill of samurai+guardian fights so Masamune himself didn't do much for me but other two (excluding the NPC boss) were strong, maybe the best in the game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milijango: 201 I believe, using just a random Odachi drop with no enchants and with a katana build (her grab does over 3400 damage on the Way of the Strong) for the first two attempts, though for the last one I found a decent one. I'd say on my character is slightly below average level since probably 5-10% of people playing are level 750 grind masters; also plenty of gravestones with higher level even on normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.