Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 09, 2007

The silver shard of Gith is gone from your chest, replaced with a mysterious hunger for souls. You find out what happpened and discover a cure before the hunger consumes your very soul.

This game is great, you should play it.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By strangone

So I just finished Mask of the Betrayer and it's an amazing RPG, but I couldn't find any mention of it in these forums. I didn't really notice this game when it came out, I didn't like the NWN2 OC and MotB got kinda mediocre review scores from a lot of mainstream press because of the "confusing" spirit-eating mechanic (it's not confusing or difficult at all if you put the tiniest amount of effort in), but I couldn't be happier that I decided to finally give it a shot.

The game is really well-written (as in almost Planescape: Torment quality), has a great, unique story and setting, good companions, interesting quests, some of the best choices and consequences that I've ever seen, minimal hand-holding. It seriously puts just about every RPG that's come out in the last five years to absolute shame. Best of all, I've played my share of RPGs and I can say that MotB has one of the greatest evil paths of all time. And I mean actually evil, not the Bioware-style evil where you act like an asshole but nothing much changes in the story. 

Bottom line is: play this game if you're an RPG fan, especially if you liked PS:T.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By amomjc

I will agree, i loved Mask of the Betrayer. Then again, I loved the original and pretty much every single Neverwinter Nights Saga that has been made. People should really look at NWN1&2 mod sites, there are some custom scenarios that are even better than the original game itself.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I also agree. Bought this during the Steam summer sale and let me just say...holy shit.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Yep, i just started a new play through of Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout 3/New Vegas...fuck, i have a lot of work to do. 
    Great game. And sir, Planescape Torment is the greatest RPG known to mankind!

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rattle618

I enjoyed the original campaign well enough, and I tried MotB right after finishing it, the story didnt grab me and I was kind of burned out so I uninstalled it and it has remained on my shame pile ever since. I cant say that I feel like playing it so it will probably stay there for a while.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@csoup said:

I will agree, i loved Mask of the Betrayer. Then again, I loved the original and pretty much every single Neverwinter Nights Saga that has been made. People should really look at NWN1&2 mod sites, there are some custom scenarios that are even better than the original game itself.

Like "A Dance with The Rogues", wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!

I second this topic, though! Mask of the Betrayer was a fantastic experience, far more so than any of the previous Neverwinter Nights titles. Hordes of The Underdark was pretty damn wonderful, as well, as I think they shared two qualities that's only rarely seen in modern-day RPG's, the morbid and perverse used in an adult fashion. Let's use Planescape Torment as an example. Upon entering the game, you were brought to a dimension that simply did not make sense. Everything that would normally symbolize death and horror made up the life of the city as well as it's inhabitants. It was simply said, "kinda' fucking weird".

Not so simply said, it built a premise that exceeded everyone's expectations as due to the fact that it simply created a scenario where-in any expectations one could have would mean the opposite of their initial value.

Mask of the Betrayer very much stuck to that plain "weird" sensation that literally picked you up and dropped you in a situation like you'd never known. Cruelty suddenly began to look less like cruelty as people's approach on it was different, and the morals and values you'd have in any generic fantasy world were quickly brought down to the ground. It allows for great story-telling, as there's nothing that it can't do.

Mask of the Betrayer was fantastic, in my opinion. Especially the writing was the best we'd seen since Baldur's Gate 2. (Another great example of the weird.) And I loved the Spirit Eating mechanics. They were a bit unwieldy, admittedly; but rather than just having a scripted conversation again and again tell you; "You are the chosen one, <player name>" (Actually how it looks inside the NWN Toolset for making mods), the mechanics allowed you to feel the stress and the pressure, and even to feel first-hand consequences for your actions and choices.

And the evil ending, haha.. Holy sodding shit, that part actually even trumps Planescape, and even Baldur's Gate 2. It's beautiful.

I really do recommend for people to check out all the mod content made for NWN 1 and 2, though. There's some fantastic stuff out there, like "Dark Waters", which are in terms of quality better than the official campaign. And yes "A Dance with The Rogues" is a very guilty pleasure for me. You don't understand why, you say? Well, download it and play it, but be over 18, and don't let your girlfriend see what you're doing.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By jorbear

Mask Of The Betrayer is one of my favorite CRPG experiences of all time.

It is truly fantastic.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By amomjc

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

@csoup said:

Like "A Dance with The Rogues", wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!

I second this topic, though! Mask of the Betrayer was a fantastic experience, far more so than any of the previous Neverwinter Nights titles. Hordes of The Underdark was pretty damn wonderful, as well, as I think they shared two qualities that's only rarely seen in modern-day RPG's, the morbid and perverse used in an adult fashion. Let's use Planescape Torment as an example. Upon entering the game, you were brought to a dimension that simply did not make sense. Everything that would normally symbolize death and horror made up the life of the city as well as it's inhabitants. It was simply said, "kinda' fucking weird".

Not so simply said, it built a premise that exceeded everyone's expectations as due to the fact that it simply created a scenario where-in any expectations one could have would mean the opposite of their initial value.

Mask of the Betrayer very much stuck to that plain "weird" sensation that literally picked you up and dropped you in a situation like you'd never known. Cruelty suddenly began to look less like cruelty as people's approach on it was different, and the morals and values you'd have in any generic fantasy world were quickly brought down to the ground. It allows for great story-telling, as there's nothing that it can't do.

Mask of the Betrayer was fantastic, in my opinion. Especially the writing was the best we'd seen since Baldur's Gate 2. (Another great example of the weird.) And I loved the Spirit Eating mechanics. They were a bit unwieldy, admittedly; but rather than just having a scripted conversation again and again tell you; "You are the chosen one, <player name>" (Actually how it looks inside the NWN Toolset for making mods), the mechanics allowed you to feel the stress and the pressure, and even to feel first-hand consequences for your actions and choices.

And the evil ending, haha.. Holy sodding shit, that part actually even trumps Planescape, and even Baldur's Gate 2. It's beautiful.

I really do recommend for people to check out all the mod content made for NWN 1 and 2, though. There's some fantastic stuff out there, like "Dark Waters", which are in terms of quality better than the official campaign. And yes "A Dance with The Rogues" is a very guilty pleasure for me. You don't understand why, you say? Well, download it and play it, but be over 18, and don't let your girlfriend see what you're doing.

I am so glad you brought up A dance with Rogues because, what a wonderful mod that gave me so much to enjoy. I have Dark Waters sitting in my Mod queue and now with what you said I cannot wait to play it seeing as I thoroughly enjoyed the Original campaign. Glad to see a lot of NWN enthusiasts on the Giant bomb Community, and makes me think I should take some time out of day and come out with a post of great NWN2 Mods for people to try out.

EDIT: Just for ease of reference, here's the link to a dance with rogues. Can't tell you how much I recommend this mod.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By strangone
    @Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

@csoup said:

And I loved the Spirit Eating mechanics. They were a bit unwieldy, admittedly; but rather than just having a scripted conversation again and again tell you; "You are the chosen one, <player name>" (Actually how it looks inside the NWN Toolset for making mods), the mechanics allowed you to feel the stress and the pressure, and even to feel first-hand consequences for your actions and choices.

Agreed, this is the beauty of the spirit-eating mechanic. In so many RPGs the good choice is always the easiest and most beneficial choice to make. In MotB, being good is actually the difficult choice because you have to forgo the powerful spirit essences you get from devouring NPCs through dialogue and the stat bonuses that come from having a full craving meter. But it's balanced by the fact that in order to get these benefits you need to worry more about your spirit meter, whereas if you choose the good path you can basically forget about your hunger.
    Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sign

I really want to play this game but every time I start I get so frustrated with the camera controls that I end up quitting and uninstalling. Are there any mods to change the camera controls or do you have any tips on how to manage it without wanting to pull your hair out?

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I am so glad you brought up A dance with Rogues because, what a wonderful mod that gave me so much to enjoy. I have Dark Waters sitting in my Mod queue and now with what you said I cannot wait to play it seeing as I thoroughly enjoyed the Original campaign. Glad to see a lot of NWN enthusiasts on the Giant bomb Community, and makes me think I should take some time out of day and come out with a post of great NWN2 Mods for people to try out.

EDIT: Just for ease of reference, here's the link to a dance with rogues. Can't tell you how much I recommend this mod.

I aim to please. Old firing-squad joke, don't mind me. Dark Waters is an excellent experience, which places far more import and concentration on story-telling than it does on action. It has the feel of Planescape to it in the manner of no actual combatant approaches necessary. There's numerous fantastic mods out there, but I'll admit that it's been a while for me since I last interested myself in the NW mod-scene. It's something worth checking up on once again. Heck, I even made a few mods myself back in the day.

Tell you what, mate, I'll look up a few of my favourites and let you know which ones they are. Perhaps you could do the same for me. Exchange wisdom and all that. I'd appreciate it, mate.

@strangone: I agree with you there. Being "evil" is supposed to be the easy way out, the practical solution that simply disregards the consequences of the effect the choices may have on others. Far too many RPGs these days presume that being "evil" means that you'll go out of your way to do other people harm, even if it'll hurt yourself. But who would do that? An evil persona is one that takes advantage of others, and at times, may even be kind; as long as it fits his agenda. As much as I loved Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age; I felt that the "evil" options were just due to my main character probably not being very much liked in his/her childhood and in need of strong medications, and a teddy bear or safety blanket. Mask of the Betrayer literally took these here indecisions and made them decisions through the spirit-eating mechanic, as to directly influence gameplay. Save for The Witcher 1&2, no game in the last years have done that for me.

@Sign: Check out www.nwvault.com, there's terrabytes of mods for you there. As for the camera, there are 3 different options, check the tutorial. I believe myself to be rather annoyed at first before I figured out to constantly use "exploration mode", as I remember it being called.

And as a last note, thanks to @csoup for his link to "A Dance With The Rogues". I'd however like to warn anyone before playing it, that it's not only very graphic in terms of gore and violence, but also in sexual matters. While almost all of the sexual content can be simply skipped, it IS strong, detailed and definitely vulgar. (Don't you already love it?) It's not tasteful, simply brilliant.

Edited: Nwvault.com, not nwnexus. @5socks5: Cheers, socksy.

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

@Do_The_Manta_Ray: Uh, that site is an ISP now.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strangone
    @Sign said:

I really want to play this game but every time I start I get so frustrated with the camera controls that I end up quitting and uninstalling. Are there any mods to change the camera controls or do you have any tips on how to manage it without wanting to pull your hair out?

I couldn't find any mods but I copied the settings in this guide:  http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Other.Detail&id=282 and used Exploration Mode. I found it alot better than the default settings, for the most part similar to the IE games but you need to rotate the camera once in a while. One thing I found is that when you change elevations, you sometimes can't zoom the camera out enough until you rotate it first but that's easy to get used to. 
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I would, if my computer could run it :(

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sign

@strangone: @Do_The_Manta_Ray: Thanks for the info guys, I will check all of that out and give it another shot. Just got done modding Oblivion so NVN2 will be next.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.