Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Back to real MK?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

If this is another "T" rated money cash in I`m probably done with the franchise, how about you guys?
    I need some gore, some crazy fatalities with 6 legs and 4 rib cages flying off one body.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Pibo47
    Bucketdeth said:
    "If this is another "T" rated money cash in I`m probably done with the franchise, how about you guys?
    I need some gore, some crazy fatalities with 6 legs and 4 rib cages flying off one body."
    I aswell need some crazy shit in the next MK.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SpecTackle

I'm pretty sure Boon stated that the next MK would be closer to franchise roots.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Milkman

Yes, completely ignore that at the core it's a fantastic fighting game and just give me the gore!

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpecTackle
    Milkman said:
    "Yes, completely ignore that at the core it's a fantastic fighting game and just give me the gore!"
    Who's ignoring that? I enjoy MK vs DC. I enjoy the identity Mortal Kombat has created for itself. I don't see the problem with wanting it to return to said identity.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dude, MK9 will be rated M for Mature. Guaranteed. I, for one, would rather not see dudes exploding with 6 ribcages, 4 skulls, 3 arms, etc. Let's leave that MK3 nonsense out of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Milkman said:
    "Yes, completely ignore that at the core it's a fantastic fighting game and just give me the gore!"
    Hell yeah, lets make it rated E this time around.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

MK Vs. DC was far more like a real MK game than Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon. Sure there was the lack of gore, but the fighting itself was much more true to the series's roots. Although having that kick ass fighting system + MK's trademark gore in MK 9 would be fantastic.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    MattyFTM said:
    "MK Vs. DC was far more like a real MK game than Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon. Sure there was the lack of gore, but the fighting itself was much more true to the series's roots. Although having that kick ass fighting system + MK's trademark gore in MK 9 would be fantastic."

I very much agree.  The fighting system felt better than it has in a few games.  A bit of gore definitely wouldn't hurt things, though, and a return to an M-rating would definitely make this less of a rental to me.  I don't normally care about a game's rating, but MK vs. DC did feel a bit tame.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

I didn't have as much of a problem with the lack of gore and such in MK vs DCU as I thought I would.  It still had the amount of "crunch" that I needed to be satisfied.  I felt, however, that the fatalities were weak and felt tacked on...and given that MK games should not feel like fatalities are tacked on, that wasn't a good thing.

I'm not going to bitch if they do another T game, as long as it's good again.

If they did put gore in MK9, however, I would hope they go back to the style of MK and MK2.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By ThomasP
    Milkman said:
    Yeah, it's a great fighter, but the series is known for its gruesome violence. Die hard MK fans everywhere were upset that this was compromised because of comic book characters. I pray to God they don't pull that shit again. Damn it Ed Boon, don't muck this up. Keep the new fighting mechanics and stay true to the series roots please.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. I don't feel like MK Vs. DC would be a markedly better game if it were rated M.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us
    Bucketdeth said:
    "Milkman said:
    Hell yeah, lets make it rated E this time around."
    MK vs Hello Kitty Universe then?
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    c1337us said:
    "Bucketdeth said:
    "Milkman said:
    Hell yeah, lets make it rated E this time around."
    MK vs Hello Kitty Universe then?"
    Dude, that would rock.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us

Your not wrong.

FullMetal_Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By FullMetal_Mac

Yeah if they use the fighting system from MK vs DC for MK 9 and make it M rated I'll buy it for sure.

Colt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Colt

the reason mk vs dcu was rated t was only because of the dc half. maybe it was closer to the roots as far as fighting but mortal kombat has always relied on the gore for sales. when it came out it was a second rate fighting game to games like street fighter. but people played the arcade game cause of the code to put blood in the game. 

i say they up the gore as much as they can. mk vs dcu was a fun game, but there wasnt much to it after you beat it once. for some reason i do think upping the violence would at least make me wanna play online still.
    RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RipTheVeins

Ed Boon has a few messages about the fatalities for 9 on Twitter, one day he said they were able to capture 14 animations in one day, and they're still working on making more, and also that they were (not a direct quote) "sick....seriously these things are really narly."

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Druminator

I remember Boon saying he wanted a MK game with Gears graphics for MK8 but then MKvsDC came out. Hopefully they're working on a realistic MK game.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By breadfan

I just hope they do away with the 3D fighting plane

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By TheHBK

Yeah I am with you.  3d MK is a piece of shit.  The last good MK game was Mortal Kombat Trilogy.  They need to bring back all the characters and really stop thinking so much about the story and hyping that up.  No one gives a shit.  I just want to know if Sub-Zero will be back and that when he rips someones spine out, the screen doesnt fade to black before he does.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jNerd
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " If this is another "T" rated money cash in I`m probably done with the franchise, how about you guys?I need some gore, some crazy fatalities with 6 legs and 4 rib cages flying off one body. "
    "On June 18, 2009, Boon confirmed in his Twitter page that they were performing motion capture for the game. He also revealed that the game will not have superheroes in it, thus ruling out a sequel to Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and that they were aiming for a "Mature" rating, contrary to the "Teen" rating attained by the previous game. He even questioned "going too far" and showed concern about crossing the limit to "Adults Only" rating.Ed Boon recently stated that the Fatalities are going to be bloodier and "more sick" in Mortal Kombat 9 than any other Mortal Kombat."
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Vinchenzo

I wish they would stop making Mortal Kombat. It's the worst fighter second only to Tekken.

hec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hec

lots o' blood

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Deadly Alliance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Rhaknar

the game is confirmed by Ed Boon to be M rated, so this topic is moot

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This generation graphics+2D+tons of gore= win.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

While I don't want the games to follow the route of the trailer which presented the characters grounded in a more realistic setting, I'd really like for Reptile to appear in MK9 like he did in the video. I thought everything about his makeover was completely awesome. The fact that he stores heads in the fridge makes him all the more appealing. What a likeable guy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.