Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

In a futuristic totalitarian dystopia, a master courier (in a group of renegade "runners") investigates a conspiracy, while outrunning the deadly government military, in this parkour-inspired first-person action game.

Mirror's Edge, underrated game of the year 2008

roe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By roe

Mirror's Edge has been awarded with a lot of sub-par scores throughout the gaming world, often using words like disappointing and frustrating. I actually bought this game at almost half price, probably thanks to a lot these reviews. Although, of course I'm happy to have made a bargain, what bothers me a little is this rather harsh criticism which it had to suffer, given that it's all in all a truly excellent game. Perhaps not for everyone, but then again, no game is.

The primary criticism about this game is, as far as I can tell, the fighting. I have to a agree that, for a game which is not focused on fighting, there's a whole lot of it in there. What is often missed is the fact that, although the game describes it as a must, there is very rarely a situation where you have to take out the enemies. On harder difficulties, you're usually shot down if you try to climb a pipe or ladder with enemies around, but that's pretty much the only situation, the rest of the game (perhaps with the exception of the server room in the Shard, although I'm still trying to get them to destroy all the servers) can be played through, completely avoiding real fighting. You will need to do a couple of disarms (I can think of a couple of snipers), and you'll also probably want to do one or the other slide kick or stomping to keep up the flow.

Then there's the frustration part of missing a jump. This is where I really disagree, if you need to try a dozen times to make a jump, you're probably missing another way to reach your goal, and this is what I find truly compelling about this game. You're stuck at one point, look around, and realize there's another platform which seems oddly inviting, as if someone put it there to found. Or you see this corner, and say to yourself, if only I could wall run, turn and jump the next wall and do another wall run, and then you realize, maybe I can. During my second time through, I realized I could have just done a wall-climb, turn, jump combo instead of a wall run around the corner, but still, the enormous amount of options that lay before you even in rather cramped spaces, that's what I find truly exhilarating.

I've also read one or the other comment about the controls being too simplistic, and having only one button for both jumping and wall-running often left them jumping off the edge instead of wall running to the next platform, stating that you pretty much have to run into the wall to wall run. Again, I don't agree, I think the controls are remarkably well designed, and a really tip my hat to DICE for making them easy, yet very complete. Have you ever tried to wall run yourself? It's not impossible, but you do indeed have to run towards the wall at a rather steep angle to get any kind of friction force to hold you up. I'm not saying the game is realistic, by no means, It's still a game in all respects, I'm just saying that the controls make perfect sense.

I would also encourage anyone who've played through, found it boring, to go have a look at both time trial and speed runs, and run against the ghosts from the leader board, if nothing else, then just to be fascinated by all the routes you missed.

That's all for my first GB blog entry.

roe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By roe

Mirror's Edge has been awarded with a lot of sub-par scores throughout the gaming world, often using words like disappointing and frustrating. I actually bought this game at almost half price, probably thanks to a lot these reviews. Although, of course I'm happy to have made a bargain, what bothers me a little is this rather harsh criticism which it had to suffer, given that it's all in all a truly excellent game. Perhaps not for everyone, but then again, no game is.

The primary criticism about this game is, as far as I can tell, the fighting. I have to a agree that, for a game which is not focused on fighting, there's a whole lot of it in there. What is often missed is the fact that, although the game describes it as a must, there is very rarely a situation where you have to take out the enemies. On harder difficulties, you're usually shot down if you try to climb a pipe or ladder with enemies around, but that's pretty much the only situation, the rest of the game (perhaps with the exception of the server room in the Shard, although I'm still trying to get them to destroy all the servers) can be played through, completely avoiding real fighting. You will need to do a couple of disarms (I can think of a couple of snipers), and you'll also probably want to do one or the other slide kick or stomping to keep up the flow.

Then there's the frustration part of missing a jump. This is where I really disagree, if you need to try a dozen times to make a jump, you're probably missing another way to reach your goal, and this is what I find truly compelling about this game. You're stuck at one point, look around, and realize there's another platform which seems oddly inviting, as if someone put it there to found. Or you see this corner, and say to yourself, if only I could wall run, turn and jump the next wall and do another wall run, and then you realize, maybe I can. During my second time through, I realized I could have just done a wall-climb, turn, jump combo instead of a wall run around the corner, but still, the enormous amount of options that lay before you even in rather cramped spaces, that's what I find truly exhilarating.

I've also read one or the other comment about the controls being too simplistic, and having only one button for both jumping and wall-running often left them jumping off the edge instead of wall running to the next platform, stating that you pretty much have to run into the wall to wall run. Again, I don't agree, I think the controls are remarkably well designed, and a really tip my hat to DICE for making them easy, yet very complete. Have you ever tried to wall run yourself? It's not impossible, but you do indeed have to run towards the wall at a rather steep angle to get any kind of friction force to hold you up. I'm not saying the game is realistic, by no means, It's still a game in all respects, I'm just saying that the controls make perfect sense.

I would also encourage anyone who've played through, found it boring, to go have a look at both time trial and speed runs, and run against the ghosts from the leader board, if nothing else, then just to be fascinated by all the routes you missed.

That's all for my first GB blog entry.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Kazona

I have considered several times to give this game a try, but due to the harsh criticism it received I still haven't done so. The impression I got from all the reviews was that there was always just one way to get past something and that's it. But if it's really like you say, then those reviewers have obviously neglected to do their research.

Oh well, there's still a bunch of other games I want to play first so those get priority. But I'll definitely give the game a fair shot.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne
    Kazona said:
    "I have considered several times to give this game a try, but due to the harsh criticism it received I still haven't done so. The impression I got from all the reviews was that there was always just one way to get past something and that's it. But if it's really like you say, then those reviewers have obviously neglected to do their research.
    They have. There's a lot of shortcutting to be done if you know what your're doing. Saying that Mirror's Edge is just a fairly short game of doing the same stuff over and over is like saying that Shadow of the Colossus is just a fairly short game of doing the same stuff over and over: True in a way, but missing the point entirely, and neglecting the awesomeness of the thing you do over and over again, as well as the general quality of immersion.

Mirror's Edge is absolutely fucking awesome. If you didn't buy it, you suck, and EA will go back to whoring themselves to riches.

Watch it till the end.

Edit: This part is actually a nice little example. You can, of course, fight the guards in the first part. There are many ways to do that, the video here is a little monotonous. But you can also avoid fighting entirely, because this whole area can be crossed one level higher, if you manage to get there, and stay there.

Also, this game gets about 6.293 times more awesome if you play it with a good surround sound setup.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I had to fight alootttt, not because I was forced too, but I couldn't avoid the fight, go trough the next obstacle without dying, which frustrated me. I would have also liked more outdoorsy areas, and when you're running full speed jumping off buildings it feels good. I also, didn't like the story much. However, it is a good game, I definately think people should give it a chance, and encourage EA to not go back to the dark side.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Terrible level design and a boring, generic story made Jayge a sad panda. Then Jayge found Prince of Persia. Jayge is now a happy panda.

Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hdfisise

I loved mirrors edge and it really is amazing some of the shortcuts you can take on it. Just shows how much thought actually went into the levels.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.