Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge

Franchise »

A series of platforming games taking place in a dystopian future through a first-person view.

Do you want another Mirror's Edge, and how I wish Catalyst got some Xbox One X/PS4 Pro enhancements.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

This thread is really about jumping back into Catalyst, and your hopes for what a sequel could bring or if you'd even want one. I bought Catalyst on February 27th, 2017 (going off my trophies), and while I wouldn't say I hated the game, I was pretty bored with it and never finished it so I quit the game and never went back after about a month of on and off playing it. Since then I got a 4K TV and an Xbox One X. The game, despite its 900p resolution on the PS4 actually looks a little better than I remember even though it is still blurry. I would probably buy the game again on the X if they ever enhanced the game, which I think would really help the experience on consoles because there's a lot to like I think with its clean, sci-fi setting. I've decided to go back to Catalyst (as well as another game I never cared to finish, which is Far Cry Primal) because I'm done playing the new games from this year so far, and considering I don't really play the PS4 much after I got an X, I wanted to change it up a bit as it gets kind of depressing I guess I would say when I play one console for so long.

Above all, although I'm only a few hours into it, whereas I believe I was more than halfway through the game the last time I played it before I quit, I am actually enjoying the game quite a bit more than I was before. Maybe it's just what I want to experience right now as compared to when I bought it, where I think I was just looking for anything to play, but not necessarily Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It has issues for sure, but so far they're more goofy than problematic for me (like being able to kill/knock out enemies by kicking them once into a wall). As for a sequel, it's hard to say since I don't have a lot of faith in what EA puts out anymore, but I like Mirror's Edge, and I hope EA realizes that players do want games with campaigns rather than just online experiences. I don't know what I would want out of a sequel if it ever happened, I'd probably want to finish Catalyst before I can say, but maybe take the template of Catalyst and merely improve on it in every way possible.

What about all of you? And, for those that played the game on console and now have either the Pro or X, would you jump back in if they enhanced the game? I just noticed I made an unintentional pun by saying I don't have a lot of 'faith' in EA.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there's no market for a mirrors edge i even forgot the second one exists. It was kind of a "look EA is not that bad move you guys like Mirrors Edge Right!" and then nobody bought it. It's kinda sad.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first one is really special to me. The sense of freedom, speed and momentum combined with that amazing Solar Fields soundtrack was a match made in heaven, for me. The sequel gamified too much of what made it special to the point it felt very artificial -- a game designed by committee -- and filled the open world with busy work that stifled the flow. Locking some of the basic freerunning abilities behind a skill tree felt limiting, too; just let me be free! Stop tethering me to your mechanics.

I like the game okay, but it lacked the sweet simplicity and singular vision the original did. Love it or hate it, it was its own thing from start to finish. Catalyst was two different games wrestling with each other for 8 hours, for me, but if a third game managed to unify the action with the freedom in an open world (if they must) more seamlessly, I'd be on board.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I liked the first one. I’d play the second since it’s regularly $5, but it’s a matter of time, not money. That doesn’t bode well for playing a third game.

My backlog is too long.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I adore the first game; beaten it something like twelve or thirteen times now. I know a lot of people have been pretty harsh on the sequel (which I haven't played yet), but people were also pretty harsh with the original, so I don't really trust what others have to say about it; I'll have to see for myself.

Regardless of the quality of the sequel, I definitely want another Mirror's Edge.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the first one and feel that Catalyst lost something in the move to open world, navigating in the sequel became a bit more of a chore especially when running through areas more than once, the levels in the first game were a bit more tricky or tailor made and i replayed them many times in the time trial mode.
    The combat while "deeper" didn't feel great, and the story was silly, but i enjoyed enough of my time with Catalyst, with some different ideas i would like to see another game in the future, along with a re-release of the first that runs well on modern PC's.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I thought the first one was a lot of fun. Oddly enough, I thought the gunplay idea was a lot of fun. It had issues, sure, but slide kicking a guy in the junk, grabbing his gun, emptying the magazine into his cohorts, and wall running out of there was a lot of fun. They completely removed that from the 2nd game and I lost some interest. The lukewarm reception killed the rest of my interest.

For a third game, I would like to see the focus remain on first person parkouring - but I also want to see a much more refined, better integrated set of mechanics for gunplay. Also, I want more open areas but not really an open world - think something more along the lines of a linear level with several different paths through it.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a huge fan of the first game, Catalyst didn't do a lot for me. Though I did think about getting it for the pro again on sale at some point, because I played it on xbox one s and had some severe graphical issues with reflections and stuff.

None of the changes for Catalyst were necessary in my opinion. I actually didn't dislike the combat in the first one, so what they replaced it with did not feel like an improvement. I didn't need the pseudo open world stuff, since a huge part of the fun in the first game was finding out just how many ways there were to get around what only seemed like linear levels. I don't like the colder, cleaner look of catalyst as much as the unique style of the first game. I also think that the inclusion of the grappling hook was very unnecessary - especially since, as I understand it, that is absolutely against the ideals of parkour.

The only thing I really wanted improved was to replace the animated cutscenes with all ingame cutscenes, since what few there were in the first game were pretty great (first person hugging your sister!), and the cartoon stuff wasn't.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Mirror's Edge's more linear levels, but I do think an open world makes a lot of sense for the series. It just needs to be better. I like the world, but it's the static NPC's that don't do anything and the mundane/repetitive tasks they give you that make the game feel so standard. I get that Mirror's Edge is about speed/agility, but there could be more than just timed missions to get from point A to B. They give you a base of operations in the first part of Catalyst where you can go back to at any point, it shows you (again, mostly static) NPC's doing whatever they're doing in those areas, but in a sequel, for instance, they could bring a lot of characterization in those spots. It could be similar to how RDR2 did it, or have a squad of runners that you can learn about like in a Mass Effect. Although I don't know how they'd do it, and I'm not sure how it'd affect the atmosphere or intrusiveness of getting around, but it would be cool to see other runners going about the rooftops as well. I agree that they should bring back the gunplay in some way and improve on it. I actually enjoyed it fine, though realize it's a small part of what the first game offered. It'd be something to add to the variety you get.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the game an hour ago. I'm not sure why I never finished it before; it's pretty short and the side stuff isn't necessary, nor all that interesting. Yeah, the game lacked variety in many ways which is the biggest issue to me probably, but it wasn't as bad as I had originally thought. Glad I finished it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.