Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear

Franchise »

Tactical, Espionage, Action. A revered and long-running series directed by Hideo Kojima.

Which One Do You Prefer: Metal Gear Solid or The Twin Snakes?

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#1  Edited By psykhophear

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MachoFantastico

I played the original when I was to young to appreciate it as a classic, but I did enjoy Twin Snakes quite a bit. Which is interesting considering Mr Kojima hates it. :D

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By huntad

I actually really like the top down view in the Metal Gear games. I just didn't like it in MGS3, because the jungle made it really hard to see.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

Original. The only part of Twin Snakes I liked more was the cinematic of Grey Fox tearing shit up (well, just REX). Also that 30 minute trailer was pretty great.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By IBurningStar

The original. Twin Snakes made the Ocelot fight stupid easy, added a bunch of stupid stuff to the cutscenes, had inferior voice acting, and flat out ruined the ending.  The last one is my number one problem with it. The part where Liquid jumps back to his feet and just stands there staring at Snake is fucking ridiculous. The ending was kind of clever, and that bit there is totally unnecessary.  I mean, you do all this stuff and just can't seem to kill the guy. And when it looks like you are just screwed and he is going to win, boom, drops dead from fucking Foxdie.  Perfect.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#6  Edited By psykhophear

@IBurningStar: Compare to other remakes, Twin Snakes is a damn good remake but the thing that kills it is the voice acting. Sure, Gray Fox sounds a lot better than he did in the original but Naomi and Mei Ling's voices feel downgraded. Other than that, I enjoy the cutscenes, the bullet-time sequences, the enhanced graphics, first-person perspective and collecting dog tags. And plus, surviving Ocelot's torture is much easier in Twin Snakes than in the original.

I like 'em both actually but the original wins by a hair.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

MGS1 on PC :D

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By soldierg654342

While the cinematic are a matter of taste, combining MGS2 controls with MGS1 level design and AI makes for a stupid easy game.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

@IBurningStar said:

The original. Twin Snakes made the Ocelot fight stupid easy, added a bunch of stupid stuff to the cutscenes, had inferior voice acting, and flat out ruined the ending. The last one is my number one problem with it. The part where Liquid jumps back to his feet and just stands there staring at Snake is fucking ridiculous. The ending was kind of clever, and that bit there is totally unnecessary. I mean, you do all this stuff and just can't seem to kill the guy. And when it looks like you are just screwed and he is going to win, boom, drops dead from fucking Foxdie. Perfect.

Exactly what this guy said. I once played and beat the original MGS and Twin Snakes back to back; I can confirm that the voice acting in the remake is not as good. The two culprits are Campbell and Naomi. Both sound tired and like they couldn't give any less fuck about redoing this game. I will say however that I prefer the Mei Ling of the remake, as she doesn't have her chinese accent, which she shouldn't have had in the first place considering she was born in America.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By danielkempster

I think they're both pretty great tellings of the same story, in their own way. The Twin Snakes has the advantage of being more playable than the original is now. But like others above me in this thread, I'll always prefer the original. There's just something about it, an energy that seems to be missing in The Twin Snakes. Maybe it's in the voice acting, like others have said, but I've never been able to pinpoint it personally.

As a side note, I've always found it funny that Kojima hates The Twin Snakes to the point where he denies its existence, considering it's probably a lot closer to his original 'vision' of what he wanted Metal Gear Solid to be. I remember reading a few interviews with him in which he mentioned that the hardware limitations of the PS1 meant that there were things he wanted to do with MGS1 but couldn't. You'd think that seeing that vision fulfilled would be enough to overlook some silly acrobatics in the cutscenes.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By icicle7x3

I see you like to play ETERNAL DARKNESS

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By BoG

Metal Gear Solid (and Symphony of the Night) is probably why I play way too many video games and post on internet forums. 
    Wait, I think that means I should hate it. 
    Anyways, I enjoyed Twin Snakes, but still prefer how the original game plays.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bribo

Metal Gear Solid is lauded with damn good reason. Any superior remakes are just standing on the shoulders of giants.

@Marz said:

Sorry, your opinion doesn't count.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

@BoG said:

Metal Gear Solid (and Symphony of the Night) is probably why I play way too many video games and post on internet forums. Wait, I think that means I should hate it. Anyways, I enjoyed Twin Snakes, but still prefer how the original game plays.

Your avatar is goddamn gorgeous.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Marz
    @Bribo said:

Metal Gear Solid is lauded with damn good reason. Any superior remakes are just standing on the shoulders of giants.

@Marz said:

why the hell not?  i played both ps1 and pc version.  They are technically the same game and it isn't a remake but had better resolution options etc.
    Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cornman89

I prefer the original.

I still admire Twin Snakes for being crazy over the top though.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I've never played Twin Snakes. I've always wanted to. I'm kind of sad it isn't on the HD Collection. But I guess there are some ownership rights or something.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Zippedbinders

I own both. They remain unplayed.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

I've only ever played Twin Snakes, so I can't really judge. But if the dream sequence in MGS4 is any indication, I'd probably enjoy Twin Snakes more regardless.

Hypertreb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Hypertreb

I loved the original quite a bit. Never got to playing Twin Snakes, though I really want to.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude

I found the first one really hard or I just sucked at it. Twin Snakes was much easier and enjoyable for me. I picked that one.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bribo

@Marz said:

@Bribo said:

@Marz said:

why the hell not? i played both ps1 and pc version. They are technically the same game and it isn't a remake but had better resolution options etc.

Sorry. I just assumed you pirated it and played it it through an emulator.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CounterShock

When has Kojima ever said he HATES The Twin Snakes? I've never heard such a thing.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By nukesniper

Never had a PSX in the day, so the Gamecube version is the only one I have played. Therefore that is my answer.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JasonR86

I picked the original.

Twin Snakes was good and is probably a better game in nearly ever way. But it didn't have the same impact on me that the original had.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.