Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear

Franchise »

Tactical, Espionage, Action. A revered and long-running series directed by Hideo Kojima.

How to play the Metal Gear Solid series.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ItBeStefYo

First off, I dont own any playstation system or have ever played a MGS game before, but I want to and would like to find out the best way to go about it!

I own a 360 and pc and I may own a Vita in the future, so I was thinking, should I buy the HD collection for the xbox, or should I wait until I get the Vita.

BUT, before I can play the games in the HD collection I have to play MGS 1. How?

And also, what is the game called just "metal gear"? Should I play that aswell? Is it connected at all? I have no idea but thanks for any help.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

Play Metal Gear Solid on the PC, and then pick up the HD Collection for the 360?

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By liquidmatt

You could pick up a cheap PS1 or Gamecube to play MGS1 on.

I wouldn't really play them on the Vita, though I don't own one I'd say putting in more effort (if needed) and playing on a TV is the way to go.

Definitely play MGS1 though, don't skip it!

And you don't need to play MG and MG2, I certainly hadn't when I played MGS1 - and they don't add or detract from the story of MGS1 through 4 - but if you feel the need they are included under the MGS3 section of the HD collection!

Also, how will you complete the saga if you can't play MGS4!?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

@ItBeStefYo said:

First off, I dont own any playstation system or have ever played a MGS game before, but I want to and would like to find out the best way to go about it!

I own a 360 and pc and I may own a Vita in the future, so I was thinking, should I buy the HD collection for the xbox, or should I wait until I get the Vita.

BUT, before I can play the games in the HD collection I have to play MGS 1. How?

And also, what is the game called just "metal gear"? Should I play that aswell? Is it connected at all? I have no idea but thanks for any help.

What do you mean by how? They are stealth games but are not so strict that you can fumble your way through them (which is usually what happens to me). Um...you shot dudes. Run, climb. Shot some more dudes.

kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By kitsunezeta

In terms of difficulty, I'd go with Peace Walker->MGS3->MGS2->MGS1PC [if only for the fact that THAT one tends to really pull no punches at times]. Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are precursor games that take place, IIRC, between Peace Walker and MGS1.

If you want to play it in chronological order, the order is MGS3, Peace Walker, Metal Gear 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid, and then Metal Gear Solid 2.

If, by some miracle, you have a Gamecube, you might be interested in trying to track down The Twin Snakes, the GameCube remake of Metal Gear Solid 1.

While some knowledge of the Shadow Moses incident (MGS1) is advisable, you don't NEED to have played MGS1 to enjoy the other MGS games.

(And no, I'm not referring to the NES "Metal Gear" games, it's the original MSX Metal Gear games that are included in the HD collection, as part of MGS3: Subsistence)

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@liquidmatt: Oh crap, I forgot about that. maaaaaan why is this so difficult

@JasonR86: I meant how do i get my hands on it, also Is the pc port of MGS1 any good?

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By StrikeALight

Just buy the 360 HD collection. If you don't have access to a PS3, I would probably play them in this order - MGS2 > MGS3 > PW.

For story's sake, the chronological timeline of the series is MGS3 Snake Eater > Peace Walker > MG1 > MGS2 Sons of Liberty > MGS4 Guns of the Patriots.

The HD collection only contains 2, 3 and PW. MGS1 is only available on the PSN store. Regarding the original NES Metal Gear series, I don't have much knowledge about those games. I'm sure somebody here could help clear things up.

Edit - just noticed you mention that you have a PC. Just play MGS1 on that, then the HD collection.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8  Edited By JasonR86

@ItBeStefYo:

Heh, oh. Uh...do you own a Wii? You could play Twin Snakes (a remake of MGS 1 on the Gamecube) that way.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MoseSSesoM

@kitsunezeta said:

In terms of difficulty, I'd go with Peace Walker->MGS3->MGS2->MGS1PC [if only for the fact that THAT one tends to really pull no punches at times].

Why would you play MGS2 before MGS1? That would make no sense.

kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kitsunezeta

@ItBeStefYo: PC version of MGS1 is playable. Some stuff is harder (keyboard controls aren't exactly that good, but there's worse out there), some stuff is easier (Psycho Mantis loses his gimmick if you haven't been using a controller the whole time).

It's based of the US version, aka MGS: Integral. The PC version also includes the VR missions as well.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

Torrent a collection of every cutscene leading up to 4, then play 4.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MoseSSesoM said:

@kitsunezeta said:

In terms of difficulty, I'd go with Peace Walker->MGS3->MGS2->MGS1PC [if only for the fact that THAT one tends to really pull no punches at times].

Why would you play MGS2 before MGS1? That would make no sense.

You forgot to read the "in terms of difficulty" before.

On the case of not being able to play MGS4, Chip Cheezum has a great LP of it, he shows pretty much everything and the commentary is great too.

kitsunezeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kitsunezeta

@MoseSSesoM: That order is specifically with regards to the overall difficulty, not with regards to story or content or anything else. The original MGS1 (and all its direct ports/rereleases, including Integral) lacked a lot of the easy and reliable ways to bypass guards without added in all the newer games. I actually find MGS2 to be easier than MGS1. Some people may actually find this to be backwards.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MoseSSesoM

@kitsunezeta said:

@MoseSSesoM: That order is specifically with regards to the overall difficulty, not with regards to story or content or anything else. The original MGS1 (and all its direct ports/rereleases, including Integral) lacked a lot of the easy and reliable ways to bypass guards without added in all the newer games. I actually find MGS2 to be easier than MGS1. Some people may actually find this to be backwards.

If you are not playing MGS for story than why bother?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Benny

Uhh, play them in order of release starting with metal gear solid or the story will be disjointed. Find a way to play the original MGS1 then go straight to the HD collection. Ignore the really old MSX games and read about what happened in them in the ingame summary in MGS1.

Play MGS1 on normal and the rest on hard. It wont be fun grappling with MGS1 on hard mode the first time. The rest are much better in a control sense though.

Good luck

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By weegieanawrench

I played MGS1 on the PS3 and then played 2 on the Xbox. Once I finish 3, I'll go back to the PS3 for 4.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@Benny: Wait, why should I play the rest on hard? From what I've heard those games are pretty tough.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By peacebrother

Don't play them chronologically. Knowing what happens in MGS1 and 2 is important while playing MGS3. It was made as a prequel, not the first game. MGS3 is 40+ years before MGS1, playing them chronologically won't help you.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MoseSSesoM said:

@kitsunezeta said:

I think you're taking this the wrong way, he was just telling the duder how difficult the games are overall.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karl_Boss

@MoseSSesoM said:

@kitsunezeta said:

I actually enjoy the gameplay of the series quite a bit.....enough to play the games many many times over.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ItBeStefYo said:

And also, what is the game called just "metal gear"?

It's the MSX/NES one that's not entirely important to understanding the entire series. It helps (like Metal Gear 2, but less so), but it isn't necessary.

MugenAkagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MugenAkagi

@ItBeStefYo said:

Get a Playstation 3, it would make it so much easier. in order to play MGS1 you either have to get it on the PC, the gamecube, PSone, or PSN(via the PS3). After that, get the HD collection on 360(which will include the titles after 1) or Vita, and then, when you get your Vita, download the PSP titles that WERENT on the HD collection. In order to play 4 however, you need a PS3 which makes what system to get the franchise on that much simpler.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By gla55jAw

You should find someway to play Metal Gear Solid on PS1, or GameCube first. Or at the very least, watch all the cut-scenes on Youtube so you understand the references from MGS2. I would say get them of 360, but if you wait for the Vita, you could also download MGS1 as a PS1 classic and play it that way.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jay444111

@gla55jAw said:

You should find someway to play Metal Gear Solid on PS1, or GameCube first. Or at the very least, watch all the cut-scenes on Youtube so you understand the references from MGS2. I would say get them of 360, but if you wait for the Vita, you could also download MGS1 as a PS1 classic and play it that way.

DON'T PLAY THE GAMECUBE VERSION!!!!

I mean it! Don't do it! It isn't as good as the PS1 version! Also the cutscenes and voice acting is... insane to lazy in terms of quality.

Buy a PS2/PS1 and get it somehow. It would at least be less than 50 bucks at least.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By willin

Do MGS3 first. Not only is it the first in the series in terms of story it is also the best.

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By astrodoggy

word of warning, if you play the PS1 MGS as a modern gamer, prepare to work for it a bit. It feels cumbersome by todays standards.

However, all of them feel "mechanical" to some degree, and that is really part of the charm of the series. It requires a methodical mind....

If you want to play in order of release I would highly recommend MGS: Twin Snakes first. Otherwise i also concur that MGS3 is the best of the series and not a bad starting point either...

PS. you MUST play the Subsistence edition as it is vastly more enjoyable to play.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#27  Edited By gla55jAw

@astrodoggy said:

word of warning, if you play the PS1 MGS as a modern gamer, prepare to work for it a bit. It feels cumbersome by todays standards.

However, all of them feel "mechanical" to some degree, and that is really part of the charm of the series. It requires a methodical mind....

If you want to play in order of release I would highly recommend MGS: Twin Snakes first. Otherwise i also concur that MGS3 is the best of the series and not a bad starting point either...

PS. you MUST play the Subsistence edition as it is vastly more enjoyable to play.

The HD collection is the Subsistence version, so he's good on that. MGS3 makes sense story wise, but I would probably recommend playing in the order that the games came out because they added and upgraded features each time.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green

play them in numeric order, 2,3,peace walker. 3 is a prequel to 2. it's alright because there are some things that you should know. i played 3 first on ps2 thought it was good. i have the HD collection that i still need to beat.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nottle

@ItBeStefYo: Ok this is just my advice but the most hassle free way to play them all would be to just bite the bullet and get a PS3. There you have MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGSPW, and MGS4, really all the relevant games in the series and you get to play them on a big screen which you'd probably want because the games are very cinematic, your going to want to be comfortable when you reach a cutscene that goes on for a while. You aren't going to want to be hunched over a vita for that. And if you do get attached to anyone in the series you'll want to see how things wrap up in MGS4.

Second option. I'm pretty sure the Vita can play PS1 games off of PSN, don't quote me on that, but that could be an option if you want to play MGS1.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Benny

@ItBeStefYo: Well playing on normal from MGS2 onward will probably be a bit too easy.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wasara88

@Jay444111 said:

DON'T PLAY THE GAMECUBE VERSION!!!!

I mean it! Don't do it! It isn't as good as the PS1 version! Also the cutscenes and voice acting is... insane to lazy in terms of quality.

Buy a PS2/PS1 and get it somehow. It would at least be less than 50 bucks at least.

This. When i heard for the first time they would remake Mgs1 on the gamecube with all the gameplay refinements of Mgs2 i was extatic, but alas the disappointment when i got my hands on Twin Snakes.

It's ridiculous john woo styled cut-scenes with the voiceacting just made it almost unbearable to play.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By nutter
    @ItBeStefYo I had Metal Gear on the NES as a kid. I got MGS when I was 17 or 18 and put maybe 2-3 hours into it (I didn't have time for games then, too fun an age).

Just recently, I came across cheap copies of The MGS HD Collection and MGS4.

I bought MGS on PSN (really ugly nowadays), but the story came through. For both MGS and MGS2, I played on the easiest settings. I just wanted te story without old game design getting in the way.

MGS3 should probably be played on something more difficult since it feels much more current. MGS4 is great and holds up really well.

The MSX Metal Gears are in the collection. They're interesting, but design has changed a lot over the years. I just moved on to Peace Walker at that point and had a blast with it.

I'd definately make sure to play the Solid games in order of release, even if it's on easy. The payoffs, story-wise, are well worth it.
    1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By 1p

When i saw the thread title, i was expecting this video:

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mscupcakes

I really suggest playing them in order of release. Sure MGS3 is first chronologically but if you've played 1 and 2 beforehand some stuff just suddenly clicks when you're playing 3 and that experience on it's own is what the series is all about.

Avatar image for posttimeskipsam
    posttimeskipsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By posttimeskipsam

Play the MGS series in release order, MGS 1 > MGS 2 > MGS 3 > MGS PW. There are plenty of references through out the MGS games that reference older MGS games for humor and story purposes. For example, MGS3 will reference MGS 1 & MGS 2 even though it takes place before both games. Also the controls gradually get better with each release.

If you are able to find the PC port of MGS. I suggest doing that, but make sure you emulate a gamepad. MGS games aren't meant to be played with a keyboard.

You can ignore the Metal Gear games, but it doesn't hurt to try them out considering they are on the HD collection.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By supamon

MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4.

Shocker, I know. It doesn't matter that it's not in chronological order since the games were created to assume you only know up to the previous iteration. To put it in another way, you would watch Star Wars IV, V and VI first then I, II and III except I, II and III aren't crap but actually really good.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By destruktive

I agree with chronological order. Also, do give the first MSX games a try. They're pretty fun

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.